(CSToA) Touch of the Abyss [IC]

Creamsteak

Explorer
HISTORY
In the shadows of the great western mountains lies a tragic nation devastated by war and poisoned by the would-be nobles holding false claims on ravaged manors and overgrown fields. Eight years ago, an army of giants and savage humanoids surged from the mountain crags, conquering the land's armies and capturing its haunted capital, the star-crossed city of Istivin. Istivin: the City of Shadows, holds many secrets.

Istivin lies at the political and geographical heart of this region. The nation's capital since its founding nearly 800 years ago, Istivin is the hereditary seat of the House Qualtaine, modest rulers largely content to enjoy the wealth of vast mining operations in the nearby Jotens and Vesper Mountains. Maintaining those mines often meant cutting through tribes of savage humanoids and giants, however, and these struggles brought turmoil to the region for eight centuries. With its soarign walls and sturdy keep, Istivin and its citizens weathered many brutal incursions over the years.

Then, eighteen years ago, Istivin fell under attack from a wholly unanticipated opponent, the Demon Queen. An immense black hemisphere of eldritch energy appeared over Krelont Keep and much of the city's central square, completely cutting off the government and constabulary housed within. Brave citizens were able to cross through the energy barrier, but none returned from its inky depths. Worse, the hemisphere expanded slowly, every day engulfing more of the city.

At the same time, organized raids by giant-led savage humanoids surged into the lowlands, hitting the nation's border forts with devastating effect. Only the timely intervention of brave and powerful heroes destroyed the giant threat.

Ten years ago, mountain dwarves from the southwest sent warning to Istivin of a new giant and savage humanoid force gathering near the mountain headwaters of the Davish River. Soon thereafter, contact with the dwarfholds ceased altogether. Istivin moved against the threatening incursion but failed to anticipate the speed and ferocity with which the assault would come. The nations unprepared and undermanned border forts buckled under the fierce assault, and many of their surviving soldiers fled to the interior to defend the capital. The western baronies fell quickly as the forces of the Giant King marched for Istivin. Overmatched and unprepared, Earl Querchard ordered a complete evacuation. Less than a decade after the black hemisphere, Istivin had fallen.

Humbled, Earl Querchard fled to a neighboring elven kingdom. Istivin and the surrounding countryside became a vassal-state. The ruler of the neighboring kingdom felt some responsibility for the fall of Istivin. He promoted Querchard to the title of marquis, and installed the ruler as the head of a vast army of reclamation that struck back against the giants eight years ago. When the blooded army hacked its way to Istivin, they discovered a completely abandoned capital, with no sign of the Giant King or his savage host. The city's ancient buildings remained almost wholly intact, unlike the other conquered settlements. A puzzled Querchard resumed his position of rulership in Krelont Keep and set to the task of liberating the whole of the land.Within two years, all of the nation had been reclaimed, but true peace never came.

A shadow of dread and disquiet had fallen over Istivin. Tempers flared more easily, and deadly accidents occured with regularity. Foul nightmares began to haunt the populace, and more and more of Istivin's folk found themselves caged in the city's asylums. Other citizens vanished altogether, including the marquis himself, gone now for four years.

DEITIES
The people of Istivin worship the following 5 deities: Allimon, The Prince of Swords, The Shield Maiden, The Stonewife, and The Great Guildmaster. These are the five most common, but certainly not exclusive.

Allimon: LG god of Good, Knowledge, and Law. Few in Istivin attend regular services of Allimon, but most acknowledge the wisdom of his teachings.

The Prince of Swords: N god of Travel and War. The god of the sublime way (book of nine swords. Said to espouse balance between the four dooms (good, evil, chaos, and law). It is a violation of the faith's code to use a weapon other than a sword or crossbow.

The Shield Maiden: LG deity of Good, Law, Protection, and War. The valkyrie god of protection is popular among the youth. She seems to be an adaption of an elvish deity that took root in the youth of Istivin when they were displaced.

The Stonewife: LG deity of Earth, Good, and Law. This deity is of dwarven origin, and has been adapted by the cultures of Istivin for many years. Dwarf refugees from the giant invasions make up the majority of her worshipers.

The Great Guildmaster: LN deity of Knowledge, Law, and Trickery. The god of personal improvement through accumulation of wealth and political influence. As such, worship seems common among merchants and nobles.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
6 MONTHS AGO
[This portion of the adventure takes place "before" the start of the game. That isn't to say that you're guaranteed to survive, but for storytelling purposes this event takes place before the timeline of the adventure starts.]

Rumors of treasure hidden away in the Vespers have drawn adventurers and mercenaries to the region for years. This volcanic mountain range is the home to many different kinds of danger, both natural and unnatural. Survival in the Vespers depends on both cunning and power, and you have demonstrated both.

Three weeks ago, your motley crew entered a cavern deep in the roots of the Vesper Mountains. After facing down ogres, dwarves, and strange bronze constructs you've gained a great deal of wealth and power. Finally, after spending the better part of a month underground in the sulfurous air of the caves, you can see the light of day again.

Just ahead there is an opening in the walls, 10 feet around, looking out into the blue sky. It's daylight, and the first you've seen of it in quite some time. Had it been night, it would have been just as exhilerating to look up and see the stars, after that long trip through the mountains.

You find yourselves surrounded by treacherous cliffs on all sides. Fourty feet high in most places, they form a ring around this basin. The ground here is gravel-like throughout most of the center. The gravel is made of obsidian, which would be at least mildly valuable if you hadn't seen thousands of tons of it over your time through the mountains. It has been ground into a rough sand, each peace averaging only a half an inch at most. It looks as if it was smashed with a hammer a thousand times over to get it down to this state. Larger jagged chunks seem to form a ring near the mountain wall.

Ahead, you can see a few bones in the gravel. They look like that of giants or maybe a massive animal. They seem to be scattered throughout the gravel, providing some sign that there was once life here. The ground seems to dip slowly as the terrain heads south. Slowly and carefully making your way there, you keep your eyes and ears alert. You've seen enough traps on your way here for two lifetimes.

Once within 10 feet of the sand pit one can see glimmer of gold, gemstones, weapons, and armor within. The fine sand within looks to be made of the same black rock as the rest of this crater. Sitting intermingled with it are various coins, jewels, and other valuables. The pit is 20 feet deep, and the soft gravel within seems likely to create some kind of hazard not too different from a quicksand or an antlion's den.

A voice, deep and serpantine, resonates across the crater as a whole. "Who disturbs this hallowed place?" The walls of the area resonate the voice and cause it to echo many times through the air. None of the group members are able to pinpoint its source, though it seems to have originated from the cliffs above.

[sblock=Map]
attachment.php

Players: When you first reply to this thread, please pick some space within the dashed red outline area to start.

TERRAIN FEATURES
Cliff: A cliff typically requires a DC 15 Climb check to scale.
Crags: Crags are dangerous rocky terrain that requires 4 squares of movement to enter. The DC of Balance and Tumble checks on crags increase by 10, and the DC of Move Silently checks increases by 4.
Scree: A field of shifting gravel, scree doesn’t affect speed, but it can be treacherous on a slope. The DC of Balance and Tumble checks increases by 2 if there’s scree on a gradual slope and by 5 if there’s scree on a steep slope. The DC of Move Silently checks increases by 2 if the scree is on a slope of any kind.
Spiked Crags: These function like normal crags, but anyone that falls onto a spiked crag risks being damaged by the spikes.
Dense Rubble: The ground is covered with rocks of all sizes. It costs 2 squares of movement to enter a square with dense rubble. The DC of Balance and Tumble checks on dense rubble increases by 5, and the DC of Move Silently checks increases by +2.
Rock Wall: A vertical plane of stone, rock walls require DC 25 Climb checks to ascend. Rock walls are drawn on the edges of squares, not in the squares themselves.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Volcano.gif
    Volcano.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 269

Redclaw

First Post
Errol, standing at O:17, turns quickly to search for the source of the voice. Suspicions forming in his head as they walked down this path strengthened by the timber of the voice, he shifts slowly, without drawing weapons, toward the edge of the scree. As he goes he hisses to his companions, Look alive, lads, and spread out. I have a feeling that clumping up might be a bad choice right now.
He then shouts out to the bodiless voice, We meant no disrespect. We have just found our way out of the mountain's caverns and by chance found ourselves at your door. Please let us know how we can make amends for any offense we have caused.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The rather disembodied voice responds fairly jovial, "A simple mistake. I see how that could happen. As just recompense, I'll take the other two humans as payment then. You and the dragonborn are free to go."

Dekana

Explorer
Slisik [standing at Q18], reveals an ever-so-slight smile as he hears the disembodied voice announce that *he* would be free to go. But just before him was a terrific amount of treasure. He had to have it.

Suspicious as to the identity of the voice, Slisik responds in a foreign language.
[sblock=Draconic]"I am deeply grateful for your permission in letting this one depart. Before I take my leave however, I would like to compliment you on this stunning collection of jewels and gems. It would take one such as me twenty lifetimes to acquire!" [Slisik is deliberately exaggerating the size of the collection][/sblock]

ooc: Sasthil, my animal companion, is beside me at R18.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The voice responds in a similar tongue. Veris this time identifies the source of the voice is coming from somewhere along the eastern ridge.

[sblock=Draconic]"At least you have some manners. It has taken me quite a while to build this place. Over time my hoard has started to fill itself with the treasures of these wandering monkeys."[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
Slisik continues his dialogue with the other being.
[sblock=Draconic]"Great one, I must admit that I am somewhat jealous. I too am a seeker of treasures, ever since my meager hoard was taken from me." Slisik is reminded of the goblins that plagued his tribe. 'Hoard' may have been an exaggeration, but he was telling the truth. "Perhaps there is an arrangement we could make; a trade of sorts. If you intend to devour my soft-skin companions, you may find yourself disappointed; they are only slightly females, and one is even tainted with foul demon blood. But we could provide others... in exchange for a small share of your treasure?"[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Tesla

{Standing @ M:15] Tesla stands with her companions at the edge of the scree. A small but confident smill cross her faces as the faceless creature demands her life in exchange for some ridiculus injustice. Ballsy isn’t it. She mentally whispers to Arc as he hovers nearby. Her elemental envoy has been envaluable as usual during the underground journey and it may appear that his services will be needed again.

She leans close to Errol and silently whispers, “This could be something more than we can handle. Perhaps there is another way in securing what we want without loss of blood.

Redclaw

First Post
Errol nods at Tesla's words, then moves a bit further away from his companions, ending up at L:15. He again speaks loudly, trying to sound appeasing while still assessing the ground and rock for advantage if it should come to battle. I am sorry to say that that arrangement will not work for us. I hope you understand that our strength lies in our numbers, and giving up half of our company will greatly disadvantage the rest. However, I am hopeful that we can find another arrangement that would still benefit you. Is there some errand you might find us useful for, or some item that we could procure for you? We would like to find a peaceful solution to this mistake, but the price you ask is too high.

Nephtys

First Post
Veris says nothing, studying the eastern cliffsides and smiling inwardly. It seemed her disguise as a human for once worked in her disfavour, but at least now it would serve to keep the enemys attentions directed elsewhere. And if the mugger was a dragon, which it's speech seemed to imply, she would gain nothing by making herself invisible. On the other hand, maybe it was just a Kobold with a booming voice. Giving the creature tribute, any tribute, when they did not know its true strength would be folly. Especially if the tribute was her own life. Silently invoking the Sight she climbs onto the rubble towards the nearest cliff-wall, and continues studying the cliffs on the other side of the crater. This would come to battle, and she looked forwards to it.

Invokation:
See the Unseen (invis and dark)

Move:
L:13 -> J:13

Last edited:

Remove ads