Cultural appropriation in gaming

Celebrim

Legend
The whole issue is a bit of a minefield depending on how much someone wants to take offense. There should be a big gulf between taking stuff in caricature (like the movie Peter Pan's depiction of the Native Americans, the "sexy Indian" Halloween costume, the Atlanta Braves with the tomahawk chop, or naming your football franchise with a racist slur) and portraying (or participating in) some aspect of the culture in good faith with some research, effort, and respect.

I think there is, though you can go to Oklahoma and find plenty of young people wearing Redskin jerseys, so even in cases like that there can be divergent opinions within the community as to what goes too far. I'm not going to venture my opinions, but some of that bothers me and some of it doesn't, and I suspect people will say that my opinion doesn't matter anyway and I don't want to get into that either. But your 'gulf' to me exists even within the things you list, and even amongst people in the community they can see a gulf between things in the list.

For me, there are two critical problems here. First, the notion of 'authentic' is racist, because even if you are full blooded and born on the reservation, if your opinion isn't what it is expected to be then you are dubbed 'not authentic'. Give you an example, I knew a full blooded Comanche medicine man, who was offended by none of the things on your list. His reasoning was perhaps fairly unique, or maybe it wasn't, but the way he reasoned was that his people and the white people had fought a war - a valiant war by braves on both side - and his people had lost. As a result, the white people were counting coup against his people not out of disrespect, but because his people had fought so bravely that the victors wanted to self-identify with, and decorate their warriors with the trappings of the defeated foe. In his opinion, had his people won, they would have done the very same thing - so how could he justly complain? Is his voice 'inauthentic', whether it is the minority position or not? Or is it just another voice in the conversation? But the complexity of this topic is continually squashed by the 'authentic' argument, which involves picking and choosing who gets to decide who is authentic.

Secondly, I put little stock in any complaint where the complainer cannot provide for me a solution to the problem. Complaining without a solution is just whining at best. And the problem with 'cultural appropriation' is not only does there not seem to be any objective standard for what is or isn't 'cultural appropriation', but the act of trying not to engage in 'cultural appropriation' is also considered a crime - the crime of 'whitewashing'. In other words, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. No matter how respectful someone tries to be, it's never enough to please everyone, and if they try to avoid the problem by not using elements from other cultural groups, then that is also considered something to take offense at. Even more damning, if someone from outside my cultural group borrows elements of some cultural or ethnic group I identify with, that isn't "cultural appropriation" but something bad I've done called "cultural imperialism". In short, the whole thing reeks of being a scam designed mainly to stir up resentment and create outrage so that certain brokers can reap benefits by claiming that they and they alone can determine what is "authentic" and bless it as good. But even when you try to play that game, some other would be broker gets upset.

At some point, it stops mattering that someone is upset despite every effort and intention of being respectful. At some point, someone's claims about their hurt feelings and their being upset moves from something I'm sympathetic to, to being a sort of moral narcissism - the sincere belief that your opinion on subjective matters is actually objective truth. Now, there are plenty of things I do believe to be objective truth, but you can usually tell the difference because you can elucidate one and share the definition so everyone can test it without asking, where as with the other the test just comes down to "because that's the way I feel about it".

Like many political topics (though not all), there are extreme positions taken between there's no such thing as cultural appropriation and everything cross-cultural is appropriation. In this case, I'm pretty confident that both extremes are totally wrong. There is such a thing as cultural appropriation but that doesn't describe people honestly putting an effort into understanding and participating in the cultural practice.

There is one thing that I think can legitimately be described as "cultural appropriation" and when the term first started being used it seemed to only refer to that one thing and one thing only, and limited to that I was fine with it. That one thing and one thing only is best exemplified by the practice which was formerly common of white musicians sampling or covering black blues musicians and giving them no credit and no royalties which would have been rightly owed for their work. As a term for a particularly vicious and cynical form of plagiarism, I am ok with the term "cultural appropriation". But in that case what it is referring to is the theft of actual property from an individual. But no individual (or even a group) can claim to have intellectual property rights to a culture and the ideas produced by that culture. And the claim that somehow you are a representative of that group and the owner of their culture is to me dubious at best, and down right racist in the worst cases.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
"Cultural appropriation" as a concept should be treated as a strawman, not a legal charge. Anybody reaching out from their childhood culture can be accused of 'improper appropriation'. The term has no agreed-upon definition, even among the people who launch accusations at others.

How on earth are we supposed to learn about other people and their culture without thinking and mentally playing with the concepts?

E Pluribus Unum: out of many, one.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
If you've followed the news in the last year or so, you'll see that indeed is a big deal. Actually, going back longer than that (The Last Airbender comes to mind). It really seems in the last year things that used to be 'taken for granted' are being flipped over.

That being said, I assume it can be difficult finding actors (?) Longmire has several non-native actors playing natives in recurring roles.

On a positive note, there is Eugene Brave Rock playing Chief Napi in Wonder Woman (and Justice League).

The worst one that I remember was when they cast Ben Kingsley as Mazer Rackham in Enders Game. Nothing like an English actor using a South African accent to portray a Maori. You could tell he was a Maori because of the tattoos, right?

MackMcMacky

First Post
I see nothing wrong with anyone adopting anything anyone else is doing because they think it's cool or they like it. That's called Individualism and Liberty.

I think Celebrim did a good job of pointing out where cultural appropriation really has some substance - not giving credit where credit is due.

Beyond that, I think there should be diversity in television and movies. If you make a movie about Native Americans there are plenty of quality Native American actors to hire. However, I don't think we should turn this into a grotesque ironclad rule that ignores part of what acting amounts to is pretense. If some indie film-maker wants to make a movie and specifically "scramble" the actors into roles that deliberately do not reflect their own ethnicity, I wouldn't be opposed to that. It is likely an artistic statement about the universality of human nature and unity or something like that.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The worst one that I remember was when they cast Ben Kingsley as Mazer Rackham in Enders Game. Nothing like an English actor using a South African accent to portray a Maori. You could tell he was a Maori because of the tattoos, right?

Uh, Mazer Rackham grew up in England and was half English and half Maori. He was primarily raised in England. Choosing an English actor to portray him is perfectly fine.

S

Sunseeker

The long and short of it is that you'll never make everyone happy. That doesn't mean you shouldn't strive for the most positive outcome. It just means you should understand that sometimes you won't win.

Remove ads