• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cure for Reversing Magical Aging?

Marauder

First Post
Hi all,

Even though I run in FR, I haven't gotten much mileage out of MoF. So, I was thinking about changing an encounter with a dragon into a Ghost Dragon (if you have the Dungean Adventure 'Headless', you'll know what I'm referring to).

According to MoF, a ghost dragon's breath weapon is "a cone-shaped cloud of grey mist that ages creatures caught in its area by d% years."

In previous editions ghosts had the ability to cause magical aging, and there existed ways of reversing it (Elixir if Youth, or Potions of Longevity). However these items no longer exist (as far as I'm aware).

Does anybody have any suggestions on cures for this? I expect that for the poor humans in my group unfortunate enough to be caught in the effect this will invariably mean death, so there needs to be consideration for them being raised (I don't deem this a natural death by aging so a raise is still possible).

I'm thinking miracle, wish, or regeneration. Anybody with other suggestions?

Also, as an aside, the description doesn't mention the type of save, or the consequences for success. I would assume that a Reflex save would be allowed, with the victim only aging half the number of years rolled on a successful save. But there exists the option for it to be a Fortitude or Will save (for which success would negate the year damage).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't know of any core rulebook spell that specifally cures unnatural aging, but then there are no unnatural aging effects in the core rules either.

I would rule that a Greater Restoration or a Limited Wish could remove the unnatural aging effects.

Marauder

First Post
Thanks Caliban!

Good suggestions which I'll use. Didn't think of Greater Restoration, but that seems ideal.

Any thoughts as to the save and type, or should I just leave it as per a typical dragon which is a Reflex save for 1/2?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Marauder said:
Thanks Caliban!

Good suggestions which I'll use. Didn't think of Greater Restoration, but that seems ideal.

Any thoughts as to the save and type, or should I just leave it as per a typical dragon which is a Reflex save for 1/2?

Technically, I suppose it should still be a Reflex save (to avoid the area of the aging blast), but I could see it as a Fort save to reduce the aging as well. However, that would make it less like a breath weapon. It could go either way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads