• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Curing Blindness

SubMensa

First Post
In my campaign we have just come across an NPC whom has had her eyes put out. Is there a low level way to allow her to see temporarily(or permanently).

Darkvision says "The subject gains the ability to see 60 feet even in total darkness."

Do you think that this usage of the spell would be considered too powerful. We are playing in a low magic world and I'm sure the DM wanted her condition to be debilitating, though eventually surmountable with more powerful magics.

CherubKid

Explorer
Looking up Blinded in the DMG (p. 300)...
"All checks and *activities* that rely on vision (including Spot checks) automatically fail."

My guess is that "seeing" counts as an activity :)

Nevertheless, that's a really cool idea, and your DM should let you do it.
Tell him I said so!

john melbourne
part cherub
all kid

CherubKid

Explorer
Though I should mention, using the same DMG rule...

A fellow player insisted on making constant Spot checks for his blind monk.

Never mind that he was guaranteed to fail every one.
The DMG said he could roll.
He rolled.

:cool:

Sejs

First Post
In my campaign we have just come across an NPC whom has had her eyes put out. Is there a low level way to allow her to see temporarily(or permanently).

Eyes missing, eh? Hmm. Blindsight, either from the spell or a magic item such as the blindfold of true vision (found in the arms and equipment guide). Clairvoyance would work, too.

I've always been of the oppnion that darkvision and lowlight vision required eyes to function, as they're types of er.. vision, but thinking about it now... ya know undead have 60' darkvision... and alot of them are no longer in possession of their eyes.

So yeah, a darkvision spell or item may well do the trick. Though personally, I'd say that magical darkvision would be required, and that the natural kind like dwarves and orcs have would require the eyes to function.

cmanos

First Post
Darkvision requires eyes.

Clairvoyance would work I would think, but I don't believe thats a low level effect.

Blindness plain out sucks. My fighter in an online game was blinded. I used listen checks to determine where people were when not in combat. When in melee, it's pretty aparent where the combat is...you just need to figure out which combatant is the one you want to swing at.

It really sucks.

Pyrex

First Post
Step 1: Find 5th level cleric.

Step 2: Have him cast the following:

SRD said:
Remove Blindness/Deafness
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 3, Pal 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Remove blindness/deafness cures blindness or deafness (your choice), whether the effect is normal or magical in nature. The spell does not restore ears or eyes that have been lost, but it repairs them if they are damaged.
Remove blindness/deafness counters and dispels blindness/deafness.

azmodean

First Post
Remove blindness/deafness cures blindness or deafness (your choice), whether the effect is normal or magical in nature. The spell does not restore ears or eyes that have been lost, but it repairs them if they are damaged.
Remove blindness/deafness counters and dispels blindness/deafness

To restore the eyes it would take regenrate I think, 7th lvl cleric spell, ouch.

Unfortunately Clarivoyance stinks too unless the DM is extra nice, as does Arcane Eye. Both have a 10 minute casting time. With an accomodating DM, you might be able to get an item or permanent version of either spell that stays with you.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads