D&D 5E Curious materials and other consumables that spellcasters want

CapnZapp

Legend
Ive been looking through previous-edition materials for neat consumables that could make my players spend their gold on.

For instance:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?442820-Special-Materials-Index

And this:
http://www.dan-site.com/Alchemical_Items.htm

But one thing strikes me. It's all very weapon and thing centric. Stuff warriors want.

Sure there are the Magic of Faerun crystals that give +1 DC bonuses to fire or lightning spells, but that simultaneously feels so very powerful and yet generic at the same time (not to mention it's a permanent effect, not a consumable).

Let me give you a few examples of what I have created myself to illustrate what I am looking for:

Arandur Dust
Arandur is a rare natural metal found in igneous rock, usually as streaks of blue-green ore amid vitreous glass. When inhaled by a spellcaster, it makes your spell attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 during 1 minute.

(In other words, a consumable Keen Blade effect for cantrips etc. If a permanent Keen Blade costs 2000 gp, I price this at one tenth or 200 gp per pinch)

Beljuril Shards
Bejurils, also known as fireflashes, are large gems (typically 4 inches in diameter) sea green in color. Each shard can be added as an extra spell component to any spell causing lightning damage to add a number of d6 equal to the spell's level as bonus lightning damage once, then the shard is consumed.

(In other words, even if you use this to cast Call Lightning, you only get the bonus damage dice once. The RAI is that the effect should remain roughly the same whether you cast Lightning Bolt or Call Lightning)

Two examples of highly specific, Realms-infused consumables that aren't weapon oils or rare metals for suits of armor.

Have you seen anything along these ideas (for any edition)? :)

Last edited:

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Qx4NeOkTzTd0R6VW12eUpWLWs/view

There's a lot of weapons, but also a lot of mundane items which you never knew you really needed. Like the "Everfull inkwell" or "The Flint of Dark Fire" or "The Libram of Recording". I've found lots of things to give to my players so that they can have magic items without magic items becoming too overpowering.

DISCLAIMER: To give proper credit, I got this from https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3baw4q/the_not_really_complete_encyclopedia_magica_is/ So if it's yours, thanks

CapnZapp

Legend
Thanks!

Though (without scouring it in detail) your document only underscores my point: where are the fun consumables for spellcasters?

You wanna know my theory?

In previous editions (and by that I mean d20/PF and AD&D, and mostly I mean d20) fighters could be given every little scrap of an advantage since (high-level) spellcasters still beat the crap out of them with the spells they got.

But, see, 5th edition ain't like that. The balance between martials and casters is better than ever before.

And so I'm thinking it gets kind of stale (if not "unfair") to keep up this tradition, to give weapon users twenty shiny baubles for every generic spellcasting bauble. Martials already get the best multiclass synergies (Sorlock cheese notwithstanding), and martials get the best feats (or more accurately, spellcasters get way fewer of the best-in-class feats than martials. There are still great feats that spellcasters can put to use, but often these feats benefit martials equally well!)

There simply is no reason anylonger to discriminate against spellcaster consumables. :)

Any more examples (of things like the two I posted above) would be appreciated!

I am not going to stop discriminating against casters. When I started playing this game they got 1 magic missiles per day. That's it! That's all they should ever get, period.

There entire purpose it to lag behind the rest of the party throwing darts, or maybe with a light crossbow. All the cool stuff is done by the martial types and that'e the way it should always be!!

Tony Vargas

Legend
You wanna know my theory?
No, but I'm compulsive once I start reading something...

In previous editions
[sblock="Yeah, unless you're fascinated by 'previous editions' don't bother reading my response"]
(and by that I mean d20/PF and AD&D, and mostly I mean d20) fighters could be given every little scrap of an advantage since (high-level) spellcasters still beat the crap out of them with the spells they got.

But, see, 5th edition ain't like that. The balance between martials and casters is better than ever before.
You forgot the "Except for the obscure 2-year not-really-D&D aberration known as 4e" proviso, since balance between casters and martials (which was even a defined thing in that edition) was much closer than in 5e.

Balance in the classic game was baroque and involved and ultimately ineffective (exactly how much so and at what level varied with the DM), but it did put some very real limitations on casters that reigned them in at low levels enough that non-casters typically had some levels at which they dominated, and some more in which they didn't feel entirely superfluous. 3e, of course, was out of the ball-part, intentional-rewards-for-system mastery, 'broken,' with Tier-1 prepped castes and Tier-5 non-castres. (That didn't stop it from being fun, though, especially if you applied your system mastery to a Tier 5 class while non-system-masters bungled their Tier 2 PCs, and things kinda balanced out).

5e, as you know, removed (didn't add back) or softened virtually every restriction or limitation casters ever faced, and only modestly 'nerfed' the spells themselves relative to 2e or 3e (fantastically powered them up relative to 4e). So characterizing it as 'balanced' at all, is misleading. 5e has some guidelines (see your own 'Elephant' thread) as to how to impose some balance using long, 6-8 encounter 'days,' but the details of the system itself obstruct the implementation of those guidelines.

5e is clearly better-balanced than 3e, clearly far worse than 4e, which still favored casters, BTW, especially the wizard, especially late in the edition (Essentials). Compared to the classic game, 5e may be better or worse balanced depending upon which version of the classic game, the range of levels covered in the campaign, and the style & skills of the DM (and players, but mostly the DM) involved.

And, yes, not entirely unrelated to being better-balanced, 4e was full of items for all character types - a little too full, really, they lost some of their shine. 5e can't afford to go that far, not only because of the bloat, not only because 5e has pretensions to not 'needing' magic items, but because non-casters (not that there are a lot of them) in particular, and melee types in general probably do still need a little boost from items at higher levels...

And so I'm thinking it gets kind of stale (if not "unfair") to keep up this tradition, to give weapon users twenty shiny baubles for every generic spellcasting bauble.
5e doesn't assume /any/ shiny baubles, so not an issue, unless the DM decides to make it one.

That said...[/sblock]

Ive been looking through previous-edition materials for neat consumables that could make my players spend their gold on.

Let me give you a few examples of what I have created myself to illustrate what I am looking for:

Arandur Dust
(In other words, a consumable Keen Blade effect for cantrips etc. If a permanent Keen Blade costs 2000 gp, I price this at one tenth or 200 gp per pinch)
OK, yeah, the ol' "OXMG, the martial character got something cool, my caster must get it, as well!" But, not quite as bland as +1 damage.

Beljuril Shards
Bejurils, also known as fireflashes, are large gems (typically 4 inches in diameter) sea green in color. Each shard can be added as an extra spell component to any spell causing lightning damage to add a number of d6 equal to the spell's level as bonus lightning damage once, then the shard is consumed.
Only more interesting than +n damage in that you roll.

But, I think I get the idea:

Have you seen anything along these ideas (for any edition)? :)
Why, yes, yes I have:

Black Cave Pearl: These large black pearls are found in still lakes deep in the underdark, what creature, surely nothing so benign nor prosaic as a cave-oyster, produces them is a secret known only to the aboleth-allied races that harvest and sell them to the Drow, from whence, through underdark trade routes, they make their way into the wider world. Black Cave Pearls are highly prized by enchanters and others who seek to mesmerize their victims, for their iridescent depths can trap the minds of the unwary. When you use a Black Cave Pearl as an additional material component in a spell or psionic ability that imposes the Charmed condition, you can give one target within 30' of you disadvantage on its save. If the results of both dice fail, in addition to the usual effects, the victim receives no automatic saving throw against the spell on subsequent rounds, instead the spells lasts as long as you concentrate (even if the original spell did not require concentration) and display the pearl. In addition to other triggers of a new save the spell might allow, the victim can save if his view of the pearl is momentarily obstructed. When the victim finally saves, loses sight of the pearl for a full round, or your concentration is broken, the pearl shatters.

Clay of Creation: though it appears to be ordinary clay of the sort used to make fine ceramics, this left-over stuff of creation is of great use to conjurers of all sorts, as it can imbue their creations with a greater solidity. When you cast a spell that brings into being an object or creature, it gains temporary hps equal to 5 x the level of the slot used in casting. If the spell creates multiple subjects, you may distribute the hps among them as you like. The clay is consumed upon the completion of casting like other material components.

Desert Rose: This rare flower blooms only in inhospitable places and only once in a human lifetime. The few nomads who keep a given rose's cycle as an oral tradition see to it that they are present to harvest those blooms, and use the proceeds of their sale to improve their lives for many years. The bloom of a Desert Rose is perfectly dry, can be pressed or folded like paper, and is essentially eternal unless it is used as a material component to cast a spell. When used to cast a spell that required Concentration, the Desert Rose comes to life, like a normal bloom, and maintains the spell for one round, plus one round for each level of the slot used to cast the spell above the minimum required, fading and shriveling to a tiny seed (that under, properly arid conditions, could in a millennium, grow into a new plant). The caster may resume concentration on the spell after the rose fades, otherwise the spell ends.

Flashflower: This rare flower is shaped something like a snapdragon and can sometimes be found near places where natural lightning has struck the ground, though some Druids are said to actually cultivate it. When used as an additional material component in a spell that does lightning damage, the spell also blinds one target of your choice who failed its saving throw. The blindness lasts one round per level of the slot used to cast the spell, followed by a like number of rounds of dazzlement (-2 to ranged attacks & sight perception checks). The blinded target can make a CON save against the blindness (same DC as the initial spell) each round, the dazzlement after-effect still occurs, though it's duration is proportionately reduced.

Terror Ichor: Ichor taken from devils, demons, or even unseelie fey, can be used as a material component to enhance fear-inducing spells. The proper gathering and preparation is not commonly known, and amateurs attempting the process rarely succeed (Arcana DC 20 or Survival DC 25) in gathering even a single dose from a slain creature in the wild, those who know the secrets, and have cooperative donors, on the other hand, can make enough to sell at a tidy profit. When used to cast a spell that causes victims to suffer the Frightened condition, Terror Ichor grants disadvantage on all saving throws to end the effect. Note that the save to avoid the initial effect is not affected.

I offer no opinions on pricing. ;)

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Thank you for your contributions. Where did they come from? (Or you just made them up? Thanks anyway)
AV1&2. 'Conversion' would be understating it, 'inspired by' would probably be more accurate. There's a bunch more, but those are the ones that triggered something more interesting than +this/vulnerable-that/ongoing-the-other-thing...
...riffed off the name & flavor text, probably added too much detail, because that's a failing of mine.

Really haven't a clue what the pricing should be to 'balance' them, though. Items are just gravy in 5e, anyway. Personally, I'd be inclined to use things like this one-off. The players take terror ichor from a unique demon they defeat, or find a few black cave pearls when they disembowel an aboleth, or things like that, but I added fluff text about there being markets for them, since that was clearly part of the point of the question.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorry, but I don't know what that is.

Really haven't a clue what the pricing should be to 'balance' them, though.
I've had a quick look - nothing solid yet.

One thing - having one and the same item used for both a low-level and a high-level spell (charm person is 1st level as we all know; dominate monster is 8th :eek: level in this edition) does the pricer no favors.

As written, the pearl must be priced for its most potent use, and that means it is never purchased by somebody looking for help with her Charm Persons.

In other words, it would be better if there were speckled or spotted or banded pearls (if pearls can be those things), because we can then put a different price on a "Charm Person Pearl".

Items are just gravy in 5e, anyway.
Not my cup of tea to treat them like that.

Personally, I'd be inclined to use things like this one-off. The players take terror ichor from a unique demon they defeat, or find a few black cave pearls when they disembowel an aboleth, or things like that, but I added fluff text about there being markets for them, since that was clearly part of the point of the question.
That works. Of course, price doesn't matter then.

Remove ads