• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Current Favorite Minis?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I've been trying to catch up on my massive back log of miniatures. One thing I've been going thourgh a bit is Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals. I had forgotten how cool some of these figures were. It's just a damn shame that the scale is so off compared to today's giants of 32mm versus the old 25mm.

Of course this doesn't count a lot of 'awesome' stuff from Andrea, Reaper, Avatars of War, Otherworld, etc... Just a flash of nostalgia there.

Wik

First Post
Reaper minis are 28 mm, aren't they? I've never been too sure on scales, but I thought 28 was the standard.

Does Ral Partha still exist? I remember loving those minis, back in the day. A used book store that sells D&D stuff just got a shipment in of old minis from the late 70s, and I came pretty close to picking them all up, even though they were really just blobs of metal at this point.

For the record, Reaper minis are my current faves. I only buy monster minis, though - I figure, I'll rarely use character minis.

Cadfan

First Post
Reaper, but you have to sort through a lot of dross to find the gems. Of course, you can find some real gems.

Werner Klocke. He sculpts some of Reaper's better stuff, but he's also got his own line. Its about three times more expensive though.

Anima Tactics. Fantasy characters with a comic book/ anime hybrid style. Covers a lot of genres of characters, from heavily armored knights in shining filigree, to leather trenchcoat clad inquisitors, to victorian styled pyrokinetics, to steampunk guys with mechanical arms. With a dozen types of ninja in between.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Reapers are kinda 25-32. Depends on the figure you're picking up. If you get any of the 'classics' that they've been rereleasing super cheap for intro packages, most liekly those are 25.

If you pick up some of the newer barbarisn and such though... yeah, much closer to 32 if not bigger.

And Ral Partha is indeed still around. They are called Iron Wind Metals nowadays though.

Ironwind Metals

Glyfair

Explorer
Does Ral Partha still exist?
Ral Partha was picked up by WizKids (in fact, the Dungeon set was mostly Ral Partha sculpts, down to having Ral Partha marked in the casts in some of them) when FASA folded, along with some other properties. WizKids then in some fashion spun off Iron Wind Metals into their own company with at least some of Ral Partha's stock.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I buy a lot of Confrontation and Reaper minis, myself. I've seen some nice ones from Ironwind & Magnificent Egos as well.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I've got a demi-bajillion DDM figures, yet only a couple weeks ago I tried painting metal figures for the first time. It's fun! I'm currently working on a Reaper mini like this for my Pathfinder Society character.
-blarg

Henrix

Explorer
There are so many good minis out there, it'd be hard to list them all!

Hasslefree are among my favourites! Great sculpts, and very nice people to deal with - the friendliest miniature makers out there! My only wish would that they were a tad bigger.

Otherworld is very nice, as well. Good looking delightful figures. I'm currently painting a bunch of their pig-snouted orcs.

I really need to get some Hell Dorado figures! (Sorry, french site - the english has no pictures of the minis yet.)
Especially their forthcoming 'chinese' faction.

(Confontation, of course. But not the current plastic ones, I think they have jumped tha shark both in molding and disegn. But I already have alot of the old nice metal figures.)

Wraith101

First Post
Back in the dawns of time (about 10 years ago actually, when I think about it) I used to play 40k. Now I am falling back into the hobby via miniature painting. The Death Korps of Krieg from Forgeworld are a brilliant bunch of minis.

squadfstore.jpg

My absolute favourites though, would have to be these two commissar figures.

commissar13.jpg

commissardstore.jpg

Even though I left the hobby feeling quite bitter but of all the mini companies, I still prefer GW.

I have a few bags of DDM that I use for D&D but I bought them for convenience, not because I thought they looked good!

JoeGKushner

First Post
On the latter, Hell Dorado, I've heard tell that there will be some English rules forthcoming. And yeah, the Immortals do look awesome. Very awesome.

There are so many good minis out there, it'd be hard to list them all!

Hasslefree are among my favourites! Great sculpts, and very nice people to deal with - the friendliest miniature makers out there! My only wish would that they were a tad bigger.

Otherworld is very nice, as well. Good looking delightful figures. I'm currently painting a bunch of their pig-snouted orcs.

I really need to get some Hell Dorado figures! (Sorry, french site - the english has no pictures of the minis yet.)
Especially their forthcoming 'chinese' faction.

(Confontation, of course. But not the current plastic ones, I think they have jumped tha shark both in molding and disegn. But I already have alot of the old nice metal figures.)

Remove ads