D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: I think I'm ready to get this show back on the road. Again, my apologies for going MIA for a bit. Thanks for putting up with me, but we're going to have to take breaks here and there if this game is to keep going, and I hope it does. Thanks again, [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION], [MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION], [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION]

The old key slides easily into the lock and, with a little jiggling, turns with an audible click. The door creaks open slowly. The room contains a bricked-up window flanked by two dusty, wood-framed beds sized for children. Closer to the door is a toy chest with windmills painted on its sides and a dollhouse that's a perfect replica of the dreary edifice in which you stand. These furnishings are draped in cobwebs. Lying in the middle of the floor are two small skeletons wearing tattered but familiar clothing. The smaller of the two cradles a stuffed doll that you also recognize.

Ever curious but also more than a little spooked, Girri strained from the back to see over Wergil, Farshid, Kasimir, and Mr. Aldershot. "How big is the room? Can we all fi--" Girri's question trailed off once she spied the tatty bit of the leg of the stuffed doll. A shiver of recognition and fear pricked at her skin, setting goosebumps to raise against the fine hair of her arms and the back of her neck. "It can't be," she whispered. "They can't be. Not those two." Her heart sank. Suddenly fearful of what might by lurking at her back, she whipped her head around and turned quickly, sure that something or someone had been watching from elsewhere in the attic.

Yavathol

Explorer

Frowning, Wergil moved aside to let Girri see. He sucked his teeth, "Well, we were starting to have our suspicions about those children, weren't we! This answers that, but makes me wonder; why is the childrens' room up in the attic, instead of with the other bed chambers? And what were their spirits trying to achieve with their story!"

He paced the corridor to the stairs and back, before another thought occurred to him, "Also, none of the other rooms were locked, were they? Why this one?"

[sblock=status]Wergil hp 8/15
Str +0(+2 Saves) Dex +3, Con +3(+5 Saves), Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +0
Athletics +2, History +1, Perception +2, Persuasion +2, Survival +2
AC 18
Inspiration no
Rages 2/2
HD: 1/1
http://www.enworld.org/forum/group.php?discussionid=1427
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

Kasimir stepped cautiously into the room. He had no answers to Wergil's questions and quietly shrugged. He moved across to the two small skeletons and exhaled in a long, sad sigh. He reached out and touched the skull, his thick fingers surprisingly tender. He glanced back at the others: "Maybe they will get rest if we say a few words, give them burial rites, and put them to rest in the earth."

[sblock=Kasimir's Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Mr Aldershot hears Kasimir's suggestion, and expects the responsibility to fall on him. Truth be told, Mr. Aldershot isn't particularly religious -- the connections he feels that he knows to be true, exist with the power of life that infuses living beings. Truth be really told, he has never felt more distant from the power of life than he does right now, in this alien world that seems to defy life, deny living, at every turn.

He should feel anger, or perhaps resentment, at being brought here. But it was prompted by the spirits of the very corpses before him. Instead, he just feels weary.

Nevertheless, he closes his eyes, plumbing the depths of his connection with the forces of nature for the right words, and then prays aloud, "These children drew us to them, and now we carry their fate inside of us. There is no life here, but we can trust that nature will find a way, even in this place." He pauses. It seems that's all he has.

"If anyone feels strongly, we can bury these bodies, but to nourish this soil, the earth of this place -- I cannot be sure it's what any one would want for their remains."

The smell of the stale air hans heavy on the room. Mr. Aldershot wants to leave, scowling at the clasp that held the padlock in place.

Remove ads