• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Curse of Strahd Question (spoilers)

Retreater

Legend
My group of five 4th level characters are heading to Bonegrinder. They tend to go to combat more often than not, and might be particularly itching for a fight after a couple slower sessions.
Do you think the three night hags will completely trash them? Party composition is ranger, druid, rogue, sorcerer, and fighter with no magic weapons. Should I pull punches and not use the coven abilities? Maybe to keep there from being a TPK have one hag there alone?

Yes. As a group the hags are bad news. I had a similar problem when I ran CoS, so the first time the characters encountered the hags, I had the older hag out selling pies.

hawkeyefan

Legend
My group of five 4th level characters are heading to Bonegrinder. They tend to go to combat more often than not, and might be particularly itching for a fight after a couple slower sessions.
Do you think the three night hags will completely trash them? Party composition is ranger, druid, rogue, sorcerer, and fighter with no magic weapons. Should I pull punches and not use the coven abilities? Maybe to keep there from being a TPK have one hag there alone?

How tactical and combat efficient is your group? It may depend on that. All three of them may be a pretty deadly encounter for the party. I’d probably split the hags up a bit so that they can possibly get rid of one before all three can get together. I know that the Bonegrinder mill isn’t a huge location, but maybe have one hag downstairs, one upstairs, and the third returning from town.

Have the hags taunt that they’ll be tougher of they all get together.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Bonegrinder is a notorious party killer. How best to deal with that depends on your group though. If you think they’re likely to jump right to combat as their first resort, and if you think they’re unlikely to run away if things start going pear-shaped, I would recommend having Morgantha not be at home when the party arrives. With only two hags, they won’t get their extra coven abilities. Depending on how well the fight goes, you can have her show up after the party has killed one or both of the sisters, or not at all.

Retreater

Legend
How tactical and combat efficient is your group? It may depend on that. All three of them may be a pretty deadly encounter for the party. I’d probably split the hags up a bit so that they can possibly get rid of one before all three can get together. I know that the Bonegrinder mill isn’t a huge location, but maybe have one hag downstairs, one upstairs, and the third returning from town.

Have the hags taunt that they’ll be tougher of they all get together.
About half the group are new-ish players, and the more experienced ones aren't what I would describe as expert tacticians.
Everyone is loving the campaign so far, and I've been able to impress upon them the difficulty of the adventure very early (encountering the vampire spawn in the Barovian church basement).

hawkeyefan

Legend
About half the group are new-ish players, and the more experienced ones aren't what I would describe as expert tacticians.
Everyone is loving the campaign so far, and I've been able to impress upon them the difficulty of the adventure very early (encountering the vampire spawn in the Barovian church basement).

Yeah, then I wouldn’t throw the entire coven at them. One hag, or even two if you want it to be tough.

As @Charlaquin mentioned, you can have Morgantha show up after the fight, or maybe toward the end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads