Curtains #1 - A Crossing of Paths

Rybaer

First Post
"The Orbit", Peace Park, Downtown, Coast City

Mimic said:
Why should they make special laws just for metahumans, do they make special laws for Chinese people or Mexicians? Making special laws indicates that we are somehow different.

"True," the reporter says. "Let me try asking it from a different perspective. Say we have a metahuman who bursts into flame when under intense stress. Say she spontaneously bursts into flame at her place of work and the building burns to the ground.

"Should she be charged with arson, because she was aware of her condition and the threat it posed? Or, should special laws be in place to take such a metahuman condition or power under consideration?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Rikko's, Northbrook, Coast City

Rybaer said:
"Definitely formal attire. I'll arrange for a car to pick you up at...oh, let's say 6 o'clock? Is there anything else you'll need?"

"That sounds great, Maggie," Steven replied. He thought for a moment or two, in response to her question. "I suppose just a summary of what the other speakers are going to discuss - I don't want to step on any toes up there on the podium. Likewise, I'll probably go with the 'everyone in society should use their skills to the best of their ability' speech, with a couple of bits from the speech in January."

Steven thought for a few seconds, covering it by taking a final sip of his wine, then said, "Also, I suppose we should post the event on my website, and I suppose I should arrange to keep my 'other suit' somewhat close. Is the event indoor or outdoor? That's all I can think of."

Rybaer

First Post
A dark alley, Downtown, Coast City

Lawrence "sees" the bottle coming, end over end, straight for the back of his head. Rather than perform a seemingly impossible dodge, he pitches his head forward with the impact to lessen the blow. It still stings and will leave a small bruise, but there is no cut and the bottle fails to break.

Lawrence escapes onto a busier street with only the catcalls of the thugs pursuing him.

Twenty minutes later, sneaking through dark streets in a more circuitous route, he finally hooks up with Gus. The elderly homeless man looks up at the young man's approach. A pair of street cats scurry off behind a dumpster.

"Rough day at the office?" Gus asks with equal parts concern and good humor.

Rybaer

First Post
Rikko's, Northbrook, Coast City

Keia said:
"That sounds great, Maggie," Steven replied. He thought for a moment or two, in response to her question. "I suppose just a summary of what the other speakers are going to discuss - I don't want to step on any toes up there on the podium. Likewise, I'll probably go with the 'everyone in society should use their skills to the best of their ability' speech, with a couple of bits from the speech in January."

Steven thought for a few seconds, covering it by taking a final sip of his wine, then said, "Also, I suppose we should post the event on my website, and I suppose I should arrange to keep my 'other suit' somewhat close. Is the event indoor or outdoor? That's all I can think of."

"The 'other suit', eh?" she says with a teasing twinkle in her eye. "Expecting excitement from this crowd of suits and stiffs? Anyway, I'll arrange for the your driver to wait through the evening in the parking lot below the convention center. You can pack it in the trunk if you like."

She scribbles some more notes in her Palm. "Okay, I'll check on the other speech topics and email that list to you by this evening. I'll also have Chuck post the details of the engagement on your website. The event is at the Hightower Convention Center - all indoors, I'm sure, so you won't need a coat."

Maggie signs the bill and tucks the receipt in her purse. As this is a working lunch, the bill will inevitably return to Steven in an expense report some day.

"Okay," she says, standing. "Nice to have lunch with you. I'll drop any last minute details in an email tonight. As always, just call my cell if you have any questions."

She gives Steven another quick phantom kiss on the cheek and heads for the door with purpose.

Velmont

First Post
Rybaer said:
"Rough day at the office?" Gus asks with equal parts concern and good humor.

Scratiching his head "Yeah, I think I have another gift. It seems I attract gangs members. I played the weak and pathetic guy. I didn't want to fight. I was scared to transform again more than them. I have falled so low just because I don't want to use my mutations."

Lawrence sits down and he seems really not in a good mood, feeling a bit depress.

Rybaer

First Post
Street corner, Downtown, Coast City

Gus squats down next to Lawrence. A rat crawls out from within his coat and Gus strokes its head absently.

"I've heard it said that 'a life lived in fear is a life half lived'," he says. "I think there's some truth in that. After coming home from 'Nam, I was okay for a while, but the things I'd experienced over there kept coming back to haunt me. I never learned how to deal with that fear, and I lost myself in it. And here I am today." He grins.

"I think I've gained some perspective now with age," he continues. "Either that or I'm going crazy and can't tell the difference. You...well, you're still young. If I can give you any bit of advice, it's that you learn to confront your fears head on. Don't hide and don't deny. I won't tell you that you shouldn't be afraid of some things...that's silly. Just that you can't let your fears define you."

Gus whispers something to the rat and it scurries off down the street.

"You've been changed and it's part of who you are now. You can choose to live in fear of that, or embrace and come to terms with it."

Gus pauses and his gaze follows after the rat, which has disappeared around a corner. "Enough of the philosophical mumbo-jumbo," he says. "We should know where dinner is served shortly."

Velmont

First Post
"Yeah, you may be right... but I don't control perfectly those powers. I woke up with spiders in my beds for months, I transform into that creepy swarm of spiders no more than two weeks ago and I didn't know how or why it happen. I left that guy lifeless. The only reason why I think I didn't kill him is I didn't see anything in the newspaper. I just don't want to harm someone I care of. What would happen if I transform in the middle of the night, while I am sleeping with Jennifer... That's what scared me most.

Well, let's find a good meal, I need to think of something else. And maybe tommorow, I would see more clear in that."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Rybaer said:
She gives Steven another quick phantom kiss on the cheek and heads for the door with purpose.

Steven enjoyed his lunch with Maggie . . . he always did. He also enjoyed watching her leave, admiring her for how well she took care of herself . . . and how she seemed to draw the eyes of others as she passed through a room.

He looked around at those in the restaurant, to make certain there was no trouble, but also to say hello to anyone he may have not seen earlier when he arrived. Steven, then left an additional tip on the table, and made his way from the restaurant. He was planning on a short walk to help disgest his lunch, then back to his suite to work on his speech.

Mimic

First Post
Rybaer said:
"The Orbit", Peace Park, Downtown, Coast City

"True," the reporter says. "Let me try asking it from a different perspective. Say we have a metahuman who bursts into flame when under intense stress. Say she spontaneously bursts into flame at her place of work and the building burns to the ground.

"Should she be charged with arson, because she was aware of her condition and the threat it posed? Or, should special laws be in place to take such a metahuman condition or power under consideration?"

If a kid is playing with matches and he burns the house down do they charge him with arson? Although if she knew what she could do and did nothing to prevent it, she should be charged with some sort of endagerment. I don't think special laws are required at all. We should be all treated equal under the law.

Radiant

First Post
Jorgi

"Sureassure,I'myourman.Bethereandgetthatstuffdoneforyouinnotime."
Again he forces himself to slow down.
"And I'm the best, they'd never catch me."
After that he thinks about what to do in the meantime. Wasting time is so not his thing. First a shower then some semi-fresh clothes. Before he's finishes with that he allready thought of another tweak he could try on his comp. But at least he lets the digital clock flash right in his eyes to be riminded then he has to leave. Almost without thinking about it he sends a note to have a taxi ready at the right time.
"Needtogetsomewheelssoon."

Remove ads