• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom Class: the Soul Warrior

KiloGex

First Post
We will be (finally) switching over from Pathfinder to 5E in a few weeks, and thus far the transition is going smoothly. That is, except for one player who is currently playing a soulknife/aegis; both 3rd party psionics classes. Instead of attempting to shove it into the warlock pact of blade or create a custom monk archetype, we decided to instead create a true psionics class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mvnIZjk7fdhC7M_QWYceIhOGDncogIK7P_9ZYlF5BtI/pub

If you could please take a look and give your feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. While this has not yet been fully playtested in a group environment, we have run it through a handful of scenarios.

For those of you who do not know, the soulknife class is one that can manifest weapons from mental energy, transforming it into any shape and eventually augmenting it to suit many different scenarios. Meanwhile, the aegis can do the same with armor. We decided that, instead of creating multiple classes, we would instead mash them all into one single class (the Soul Warrior) and instead create archetypes that enhance certain aspects: the Soulknife for the melee weapon, Soul Archer for the ranged weapon, Aegis for the armor, and Metaforge for a hybrid of all three. Please forgive the lack of lead-in flavor text in the document.

Thank you in advance for any information or pointers that you can give.

Last edited:

DocSun

First Post
As I said in the other forum I actually like the idea. I am not the best a figuring out how OP or not it is. I would try it out as an option in my home game and give it as an option to someone if they wanted it. Looks like lots of fun anyway. All that being said here are my thoughts

I do think unless they have the archer style throwing your soul weapon should be reduced to a 1d4 as that mimics the main finesse light thrown weapon; the dagger.

I think it should only be 2 traits to start and 1 at each of the higher levels. It seems like overkill especially if there is no time limit on how long the level 1 abilities are active. Some of them give the abilities of magic items that need atunement or racial features.

Also Bolsterd soul I think this should be an either or ability until perhaps 17th level. I am not sure if you really need the +2

Just my thoughts.

KiloGex

First Post
Thanks for the feedback! We're looking into altering Soul Traits slightly, but I absolutely see what you're talking about in regards to the number you get; 9 abilities that can mimic magical items is kind of tough to swallow.

Good point on the +2 of the soul weapon/armor, too. With the way it currently works, that +2 isn't really necessary.

KiloGex

First Post
Psionics actually come from an all manner of mental traits. Since there are no psionics in 5E yet, we reached back to 3.5 for this, and in this instance we went towards the psychic warrior who is Wisdom based.

Remove ads