• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Hey dante matey! :)

Ello, dere :)

Yes I know, but I'm a tad out of the 3.5 loop at the moment.

Hopefully not for good. 3.5 can always use more material. :)

Hope you have been keeping well and had a good Xmas and New Year. :)

It was interesting, hope all is well on your end.

Slowly. But it is coming. Working on 4E this week and then Godsend the week after that.

Slowly, but surely, is the best way to win the race. I'm not complaining as long as I get to see Godsend :)

You know you will love the vampire stuff I'm doing for 4E...trust me. But don't worry, Nosferatu will be in Godsend. ;)

While I still maintain my loathing of all that is 4E, I'll definitely enjoy Godsend and the Nosferatu.

=^.^= I can't wait to see all the goodies in it =^.^=

dante58701 said:
Ello, dere :)

Ahoy there! :)

Hopefully not for good. 3.5 can always use more material. :)

Well if Alzrius is correct I should be able to do some 4E stuff and then have it converted into 3.5E stuff. If thats the case expect lots of stuff in the future. :)

It was interesting, hope all is well on your end.

Not too bad.

Slowly, but surely, is the best way to win the race. I'm not complaining as long as I get to see Godsend :)

:)

While I still maintain my loathing of all that is 4E, I'll definitely enjoy Godsend and the Nosferatu.

Give in to the dark side. :p

=^.^= I can't wait to see all the goodies in it =^.^=

Some baddies too. :D

Kerrick

First Post
On an unrelated note...(Gruesome isn't it?)

Arkyryys's Skeletal Extraction
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

As finger of death, except, if the target creature is slain,
it's skeleton is animated as per animate dead and
forcibly tears itself from the target creature's flesh as a
free action.

Material Component: You must swallow a black
onyx gem worth at least 25 gp per Hit Die of the
target creature. The magic of the spell turns this gem
into a worthless burned out shell.
Hmm... that looks a lot like a spell that appeared in Arcane Strife (a book I co-wrote) a few years back:

Osseous Eruptus
Necromancy [Death, Evil]
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

While casting this spell, the caster holds one hand palm-out toward the target. The hand glows with a dark fire as he turns it palm upward and clenches his fist; if the target fails a Fort save, it is slain and its skeleton bursts out of its body in a spray of blood and gore. The skeleton is transformed into an undead warrior (see Chapter 6), and moves at maximum speed toward the caster to receive commands. Any undead warriors created count against the total number of HD of undead the caster can control.
The undead warrior is a template, a good bit more powerful than a skeleton. This spell is (obviously) a bit overpowered, but I didn't come up with it. :p

Well if Alzrius is correct I should be able to do some 4E stuff and then have it converted into 3.5E stuff. If thats the case expect lots of stuff in the future. :)
Really? I thought the GSL specifically forbade that. If it were true, I'd expect a lot of other companies would be doing it also. Unless you're planning to release it for free...?

paradox42

First Post
Really? I thought the GSL specifically forbade that. If it were true, I'd expect a lot of other companies would be doing it also. Unless you're planning to release it for free...?
The GSL doesn't allow it- and among other restrictions it's why the majority of companies that have produced 4E material to date haven't used the GSL. It's too restrictive and doesn't offer a publisher enough flexibility to be worth the trouble, and this is why WotC have been revising it, though apparently it's taking them a very long time to get the revisions out.

Many companies producing 4E material have been using the OGL, which is what Alzrius suggested UK use; Goodman Games is one example he cited in the suggestion post. Some companies are also just using the fair-use provisions in standard copyright law (which being government-mandated is something that WotC- and more to the point Hasbro- can't stop no matter how much their lawyers might want to). Kenzer is apparently one using fair-use.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Thanks for the info Krusty, I'm definitely anticipating Godsend to be a lot of fun.

Hmm... that looks a lot like a spell that appeared in Arcane Strife (a book I co-wrote) a few years back:

:) Is it still for sale by chance, I've never even heard of it until now. I just combined finger of death w/animate dead. It seemed to me that the combination would make for an interesting 9th level spell.

The intimidation factor of someone's skeleton forcibly extracting itself from someone definitely screams Wishmaster. Which may have been (subconsciously) my inspiration, although, I didn't think of that till later.

Kerrick

First Post
:) Is it still for sale by chance, I've never even heard of it until now. I just combined finger of death w/animate dead. It seemed to me that the combination would make for an interesting 9th level spell.
Yeah, you can find it here It's 3.0 format, though, and it has only arcane spells (we had too many total spells, so our publisher made us split them into arcane and divine; Divine Strife was intended to be next, but was never released). I'll do you one better: here's a copy of Mystic Strife, the never-released 3.5 version. It combines both books and adds a crapload of content. Since it'll never see print, I figured someone might appreciate it. ;)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Yeah, you can find it here It's 3.0 format, though, and it has only arcane spells (we had too many total spells, so our publisher made us split them into arcane and divine; Divine Strife was intended to be next, but was never released). I'll do you one better: here's a copy of Mystic Strife, the never-released 3.5 version. It combines both books and adds a crapload of content. Since it'll never see print, I figured someone might appreciate it. ;)

Thanx :), this will be extremely useful.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Normal Two-weapon Rend (as per PHII) allows 1 rend attack per round per opponent. This allows you to focus those rend attacks all on a single opponent, rather than dividing them all up amongst a group of opponents.

I couldn't let it be anything less than an Epic feat.

Epic Two-weapon Rend [Epic]
You wield two weapons with an artisan's precision. Each strike builds on the next, allowing you to deal more damage.
Prerequisites: Dex 25, Greater Two-weapon Fighting, Improved Two-weapon Fighting, Perfect Two-weapon Fighting, Two-weapon Fighting, Two-weapon Rend, base attack bonus +21.
Benefit: If you successfully hit an opponent with both of the weapons you wield, you deal extra damage equal to 1d6 + 1 1/2 times your Strength bonus. This extra damage is treated as the same type that your off-hand weapon deals normally for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and other effects related to damage type. You gain this extra damage once per round per successful hit with both weapons against a given opponent.

The following is Two-weapon Rend from PHII

Two-Weapon Rend [General]
You wield two weapons with an artisan's precision. Each strike builds on the next, allowing you to deal more damage.
Prerequisites: Dex 17, Two-weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +11.
If you successfully hit an opponent with both of the weapons you wield, you deal extra damage equal to 1d6 + 1 1/2 times your Strength bonus. This extra damage is treated as the same type as your off-hand weapon deals normally for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction and other effects related to damage type. You can gain this damage once per round against a given opponent.

[ONCE PER ROUND AGAINST A GIVEN OPPONENT] <----This part is the primary difference.

This means that each time you hit a different opponent with both weapons, you get a free rend damage.

Now...if they had said...

[ONCE PER ROUND]

...then it wouldn't allow for multiple rends. :)

Last edited:

Belzamus

First Post
^I had a class that got an ability like that once, Dante, though no one ever took it in favor of mastering 2-handed weapons and being able to ignore their BaB when power attacking. I wonder why.

Also, has anyone ever done a Deicide Portfolio? I might give it a shot if not. Any suggestions for the powers?

dante58701

Banned
Banned
^I had a class that got an ability like that once, Dante, though no one ever took it in favor of mastering 2-handed weapons and being able to ignore their BaB when power attacking. I wonder why.

Probably because a lot of people like the concept of a massive weapon that does massive damage each time it hits. Plus there are a lot of Gatsu and Final Fantasy fans out there.

Two-weapon Fighting can be really nasty if you put enough feats into it though. I prefer two-weapon fighting because I like the concept of a walking blender. :)

Also, has anyone ever done a Deicide Portfolio? I might give it a shot if not. Any suggestions for the powers?

The Destruction Portfolio is fairly close to a deicide portfolio. In fact it seems very much geared towards deicide.

Remove ads