• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom Illustrations (warning dial uppers)

Oryan77

Adventurer
Nice! I like the look & feel of everything. A few suggestions though (if it's not much extra work):

1. Can you make the pyramid bigger? Like WAYYY bigger and push it off in the distance more so it appears farther away? It should appear like it'll take a long time to travel to and a viewer should get the idea that this pyramid could possibly be a mile wide or more (if that's possible for you to achieve in the pic) :heh:

2. The sky is perfect with those clouds. Is there a way it could have more color besides just red? Maybe some shades of purple so it looks more like dusk?

3. It would be best if there wasn't a sun...but if that is part of the image you used for the sky, then it's ok (I can photoshop it out).

4. Can you have the light source up more and aimed more downward so we can see the entire shadow of the pyramid? I'd like to see the shadows tip right in the forground.

5. If it's easy to do, giving the ground higher sand dunes might look better so it's not such a flat plain.

If I'm being too picky, then ignore me :p I'm just trying to get it to look just like the realm looks from the planar description of Baator's 5th level :D

I like it though, thanks! The accessories in the sand add to the look. Feel free to add more stuff like that if you have other good ideas!

BTW, what program are you using to make these?

escaflowne777

First Post
First of all, how custom would these pictures be if I didn't change them as needed. I will try to accomplish all of those things. The sky isn't an image, it's a program (plugin) called SkyTracer2 and it would be entirely possible to omit the sun. Purple shades, no problem. The only problem I foresee is the tip of the pyramid's shadow in the foreground, but I will work harder, george orwell smiles.
I am using Lightwave 3d 8 (used in starwars).

P.S. Lol, I'm signed in using Dial up right now. The irony.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Thanks! Not bad at all. Can you take the same keep, remove the top portion and give it a crenalated flat top, mirror it with a second, then add a wall between then to make it into a castle?

escaflowne777

First Post
Ugghh. This pyramid doesnt want to do what I want it to. Heres the render though. Tried to change some stuff. Will still correct it if its not right, but I might need a break. After I adjoin the two keeps with a wall, I'm done for a while, I'll post a new thread when I'm back in the game.

Attachments

• Hell on Sand.0001.jpg
    Hell on Sand.0001.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 61

Oryan77

Adventurer
It looks like an IPR render since it's low resolution. And the camera perspective looks off since the pyramid is off the right side of the frame. That's not your final render is it? The first version looked better :p

Thanks so much for working on this....it'll help add to my game a lot!

Stormrunner

Explorer
Problem with a pyramid is, it's such a simple shape that it's really hard to tell just how big it is. A plain black pyramid sitting on some sand could be a few feet high up close, or a few miles high far away*... You need something else near the base of the pyramid to provide a size clue. Put a few tiny palm trees at the base. Or if it's miles high, a few tiny mountains at the base...and a layer of clouds overhead that the pyramid pokes up through.

* - you can make use of this in-game. "You see a big black pyramid in the distance, looks like maybe a mile or so away.."
"Let's check out the pyramid"
They march for about five miles...
"The pyramid looks a little larger now, but you still haven't reached it. Apparently it's bigger than a normal pyramid, but it was farther away than you thought, so it looked small."
They march some more...
"Just how $%^*&^ big is this thing?"
"Really big..."

Oryan77

Adventurer
Stormrunner said:
Problem with a pyramid is, it's such a simple shape that it's really hard to tell just how big it is. A plain black pyramid sitting on some sand could be a few feet high up close, or a few miles high far away*... You need something else near the base of the pyramid to provide a size clue. Put a few tiny palm trees at the base. Or if it's miles high, a few tiny mountains at the base...and a layer of clouds overhead that the pyramid pokes up through.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. That's why I suggested making the sand dunes bigger so the pyramid would sit behind the dunes rather than on top of them. It would help make it look more like it's in the background.

Having it reach clouds in the sky is a great idea. And putting palm trees near it is good too. I just don't want to make more work for escaflowne777 than he's wanting to do on a single image :p I don't want to be a hassle!

escaflowne777

First Post
Yeah, The pillars were supposed to be the reference, but the thing is just sooooooo big. Most of the time I model in feet as the base measurement, the pyramid is measured in miles. I'm thinking I'll take the first render, add some purple, take out the sun, and then you can use your Super duper DM powers to play up the size. No hassle, I like a challenge.

P.S. After this, I would like to do some weapons if possible. Anyone?

Remove ads