• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom Magic Item

Storme

First Post
Hey there. I wanted to run this by everyone before I shoot it over to my DM. How does this look for an Artificer?

Belt of Magic Utility: This leather utility belt is circled with 16 tube slots like a modern ammo-belt. Each cylinder is leather wrapped bone scrollcase-like tubes. The belt can carry 16 wands or scrolls. +5 enchanement bonus to Use Magic Items. CL 5, Cost to make 1250g, and 50xp. Market Price 2500g.

Storme

Last edited:

Mystern

First Post
Storme said:
Hey there. I wanted to run this by everyone before I shoot it over to my DM. How does this look for an Artificer?

Belt of Magic Utility: This leather utility belt is circled with 16 tube slots like a modern ammo-belt. Each cylinder is leather wrapped bone scrollcase-like tubes. The belt can carry 16 wands or scrolls. +5 enchanement bonus to Use Magic Items. CL 5, Cost to make 1250g, and 50xp. Market Price 2500g.

Storme
so kind of like a magic bandoleer for scrolls/wands. is it a move action to draw something out of the belt? or does the magic enhancement make it a swift action?

Diirk

First Post
It should be a competence bonus (as that is the standard for skill enhancing items), and perhaps very slightly more than 2500. 2500 is the price for a +5 competence bonus to a skill. If you wanted to go with enhancement instead, it should probably cost more as it could stack with other items that give competence bonuses.

Are the 16 holding slots magical in nature (which means they can be surpressed by a dispel or AMF)? If not, I am confused as to how the slots can hold either a scroll or a wand, as they are pretty different in terms of size. Either way, the storage option should cost extra.

The bonus should definetally be a competence bonus. Between the fact that the item is dual function and UMD bonuses are very hard to get, I would multiply the 2500 base by 1.5 for a final price of 3750 gp.

Storme

First Post
I'm going to go with enchantment bonus because...it's an enchantment, and all other items that add bonuses to skills are enchantment bonus that I'm aware of, like the boots of elvenkind.

Since I've no desire for the slots to be magical, so how about this:

Belt of Magic Utility: This leather utility belt is circled with 16 tube slots like a modern tool-belt. Each cylinder is leather wrapped bone scrollcase-like tubes. The belt can carry 4 wand-sized objects and 12 scroll-sized objects. +5 enchanement bonus to Use Magic Items. CL 5, Cost to make 1250g, and 50xp. Market Price 2500g.

Storme said:
I'm going to go with enchantment bonus because...it's an enchantment, and all other items that add bonuses to skills are enchantment bonus that I'm aware of, like the boots of elvenkind.

There's no such thing as an enchantment bonus.

Items that add bonuses to skills are almost universally competence bonuses (such as the boots of elvenkind).

Storme said:

Since I've no desire for the slots to be magical, so how about this:

There is no such thing as an enchantment bonus. There is such a thing as an enhancement bonus. It is used for attack and armor bonuses; it is used to enhance existing bonuses. It makes little sense to make a skill bonus an enhancement bonus. But if you must make this item with an enhancement bonus, keep in mind that the multiplier for enhancement bonuses is x1000, instead of x100 for a competence bonus. Also, Boots of Elvenkind (and all other core items that grant skill bonuses) give a competence bonus.

Second, the extra cost that I added in is based purely on functionality. I would add it in regardless of whether the storage was magic or mundane. Magical storage would mostly change the prerequisites and some minor functionality. I do like the change that slots are now specifically for scrolls or wands.

Diirk

First Post
I think multiplying the magical effect cost by 1.5x because the item has a purely mundane function is pretty overboard. If its later improved to a +10 bonus, do you think that should also be subject to the 1.5x ? In either case, whats to stop the subject wearing a magic belt of +x skill bonus, and a mundane belt to hold his items ?

Now granted you could say that waist slot isn't an affinity for +skill bonuses to use magic devices, but in terms of the item it makes sense so I'd probably overlook it in this case. Perhaps 2800gp or so; a high quality mundane item (300gp) with a magical effect enchanted on to it (2500gp).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads