D&D 3E/3.5 Custom Magic Items: need some feedback

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, so back in the day, I ran a v.3.5 game that ended with Pcs around 18th-level. Now those PCs are going to be major background NPCs in a new pbp game. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the old PCs character sheets so much of what I'm going to create for them will be from memory. What I do have are some of the unique names the players came up with for the magic items, which gives me an idea of what they might have been.

What I'm looking for is some advice on how best to balance out the following items...

Angelic Eyes (lenses of bright vision and eyes of eagle combined)
Bulwark Shield (+3/+2 heavy mithral shield; the +2 is for use as a weapon)
Guardinal's Periapt (periapt of Wisdom +2 and periapt of proof against poison combined)
Inquisitor's Alterative Armlets* (inquisitors bracers and armband of maximized healing combined)
Instant Fortress Armor (+5 adamantine moderate fortification full plate of calling)
Peacemaker (see below)
Shawl of Clouds (cape of the mountebank, cloak of Charisma +4, and scry shroud combined)
Throne of the Sun (phylactery of faithfulness, virtue, and undead turning combined)
Vestments of the Archon (shirt of angels, winged vest, and vest of resistance +3 combined [w/glamerweave**])
Steadfast Boots of Striding and Springing (Steadfast Boots and Boots of Striding and Springing combined )

* My own idea
** In the Eberron Campaign Setting hardcover; +1 to Diplomacy.

Peacemaker: This sword is a +5 holy merciful solarian truesteel longsword of divine wrath. It is an intelligent item with the following stats: Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 17; Alignment LG; Speech (Common), Telepathy; 120 ft. darkvision and hearing; Lesser Powers has 10 ranks in both Diplomacy and Sense Motive, can use detect magic at will; Greater Powers detect undead at will; Special Purpose > defend the servants and interests of Jalivier (major sub god); Dedicated Power > can use true resurrection on wielder, once per month; Ego 25.

Last edited:

Hmm .. well, my first thought is that I would put Peacemaker somewhere as loot. Have you read through the AP entirely? I would put it in Oblivion. Same for the instant fortress and maybe the vestment of the archons. They look like the kind of things a certain beholder might keep.

The Steadfast boots might be a small issue depending on how close you follow the modules. In the Flood Season, if your players save an NPC at the Lucky Monkey she gives them a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing. What you have there is those boots plus even better. So, you could change the reward to those. If your players get Boots A and later Boots A+ are for sale at Skie's Treasury they may feel a little disappointed in their reward.

The rest of the stuff doesn't seem too crazy. I, personally, would add them into Skie's Treasury as the story progresses. Given how Cauldron is devoid of other adventuring group, it could make sense that the Cagewrights and their beholder are selling this gear to Skie as they routinely ensure no one is powerful enough to threaten them.

Does that help? I'm not sure if I answered your question. :(

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Hmm .. well, my first thought is that I would put Peacemaker somewhere as loot. Have you read through the AP entirely? I would put it in Oblivion. Same for the instant fortress and maybe the vestment of the archons. They look like the kind of things a certain beholder might keep.

The Steadfast boots might be a small issue depending on how close you follow the modules. In the Flood Season, if your players save an NPC at the Lucky Monkey she gives them a pair of Boots of Striding and Springing. What you have there is those boots plus even better. So, you could change the reward to those. If your players get Boots A and later Boots A+ are for sale at Skie's Treasury they may feel a little disappointed in their reward.

The rest of the stuff doesn't seem too crazy. I, personally, would add them into Skie's Treasury as the story progresses. Given how Cauldron is devoid of other adventuring group, it could make sense that the Cagewrights and their beholder are selling this gear to Skie as they routinely ensure no one is powerful enough to threaten them.

Does that help? I'm not sure if I answered your question. :(
Okay, I guess I should have been a bit clearer.

These items belong to the original PCs who adventured through the SCAP back in the day. My new SCAP II pbp campaign (which will begin at the end of the week) takes place 8 years later. The PCs are now important NPCs, and I want to make sure the equipment they have don't break any hard and fast magic item rules in case some of these items are lent (or given outright, maybe) to the my new players.

All the gear listed in that first post belongs to a renown hero named Argo Flameheart. Here are two of them revised using the MIC...

Shawl of Clouds
This magical shawl acts as cape of the mountebank (1/day dimension door), cloak of charisma +4, and a scry shroud (MIC, p. 133).
Price (Item Level): 36,080 gp (17th)
Body Slot: Shoulders
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Strong; (DC 25) conjuration
Activation: – and immediate (mental)
Weight: 1 lb.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, eagle's splendor, dimension door, nondetection, invisibility
Cost to Create: 18,040 gp, 1,444 XP, 37 days

Vestment of the Archon
This powerful glamerweave (ECS, p. 122) vestment acts as a shirt of angels (DR 3/evil), vest of resistance +3, and a winged vest (5/day fly speed of 60 ft. for 5 rounds). This item cannot be included as part of the array of the manitcore as noted for the winged vest in the Magic Item Compendium.
Price (Item Level): 40,100 gp (17th)
Body Slot: Torso
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Strong; (DC 25) transformation
Activation: – and immediate (command)
Weight: 1 lb.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, fly, resistance, righteous might
Cost to Create: 20,050 gp, 1,604 XP, 41 days

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not often we see AUTOnecro of a thread! What prompted the resurrection?

More importantly, how did the game go?
I was looking through my various Kulan threads for something else and noticed it in the list. The game didn't last. I cancelled it. It was too much for me to run more than two games at once.

If I every go back to my homebrewed version/replacement of Cauldron, it will be significantly different. In truth, my Crow God players are more likely to end up visiting Cindermount.

Remove ads