• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom races

Kingreaper

Adventurer
At the very least, give the angel a height limit. Fly of 3 with range 20 attacks at early heroic= Oh, look, I'm always flying, and never ever, ever get hit.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
While I agree with the above post, it's still something I see as just a reason to include more artillery in the campaign. Maybe as a result of angels being so prevelant in the OP's world, potential enemies evolved, or learned to use, ranged answers to such characters. maybe traps that hang from ceilings, or wind hazards that wouldn't usually affect ground-based creatures.

Ultimately, it's something you'd just have to work with if you allow the race. Both DM and player have to realize that the creatures (ie potential threats) of the world know that there are a healthy portion of flying heroes, and they compensate for such.

That said, it's not something that could be placed into your standard adventure, or even a module since those are not made to account for such races.

Ethral

First Post
It still lets you completely bypass many obstacles and challenges. Maybe let them fly their speed as an encounter power or something.

Interesting thought but it is a varient so can be modefied to the dm's "taste" if they find something they don't like of course and as said below it could create even new challenges for the hero or villian that they would've never experenced.

Ethral

First Post
At the very least, give the angel a height limit. Fly of 3 with range 20 attacks at early heroic= Oh, look, I'm always flying, and never ever, ever get hit.

"look I just wasted 7 rounds trying to get up there as I could have helped my allies" yes I know attacks similar to magic missle or a bow and most of the classes with theses ability's have low life to start with usally strikers/con. Then who to say while your hittimg them they don't have a wisard or seeker of there own to hit you back? Whatever advantage you may have they can also and also in more numbers. So by consideration of gm/dm it is just a variant so they can modify to there likeing and they already have npc's that can fly and dig in monster guide numb. one so why not have a counter pc? Lot of changes and challeges just makes it better for the pc's and just out of there fun right? ok then.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
"look I just wasted 7 rounds trying to get up there as I could have helped my allies"
Except, that, you know, the angel can just be flying ANYWAY, because there's no limit to their flight time. So, at start of combat, they're already 22 feet up.

Oh, and running= fly 5,
Double run=fly 10

So, it'd take them two rounds to get up there. (7 rounds is how long it takes if they're attacking each round, not using attack+move powers [which they should be] and not running)

Then, they move down slightly, shoot, and move back up (rangers are great for this, lots of fire and move powers)
So, when it's NOT their turn they're 21-23 squares up, and the enemies can't shoot them unless they've got 23-foot range attacks.

It becomes reasonably easy to counter at late heroic (lots of good cool flying enemies), but at early heroic it slightly breaks things.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads