• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Customizing Monster Levels

F

Fungah

I'm trying to figure out just how I should change the stats of monsters if I want to adjust their levels to be closer-matched for my PCs. The DMG tells me how I can change HP based on their role, plus I found this article from WotC: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080418a

"Boosting a monster’s level is easy. Just increase its attack rolls, defenses, and AC by 1 for every level you add. For every two levels, increase the damage it deals with its attacks by 1. Decreasing a monster’s level works like increasing it, but in reverse."

That method seems flawed...
Based on what it says, initiative and abilities won't change at all. The way I see it, each ability score bonus, each defense, armor class, initiative, skills, and attack rolls should all be increased/decreased by 1 for every 2 levels the monster is modified. That way the attack rolls, defenses, and AC change the same as the article dictates, but the rest of the monster also changes accordingly. Am I missing something, or is my method more accurate?

Also, I was going to put this in the House Rules forum, but decided not to because I'd rather use official ruling if there's some out there that I completely overlooked. I don't know if the article should be considered canon or not.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Yeah, you should (in/de)crease ability bonuses, skills and init and such as well.

Attack and Defenses are _already_ decreased by 1 per level, so should not change further.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
It works well enough for just one level or two.

I wouldn't care to try turning out an orc berseker into an epic monster that way, though.

But since monsters can be relevant for a wider spread of levels, I'd rather not bother with tweaking their stats. I just use more or less of these against the PC.

D_E

Explorer
But you can use the info in the DMG to increase HP and Damage Dice too. The only thing that might give problems is special abilities.

Rechan

Adventurer
One thing I've done is just subtract the monster's level from their attacks and 1/2 level from damage, and then tack those abilities onto a monster role of equivalent level.

For instance I took the stats of a Hobgoblin Warcaster (Level 3), and tacked on the abilities of a Shadar-Kai witch (level 8), with the -5 to attacks and -2 to damage of abilities.

Then there's always this.

Remove ads