• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cutting the Heads (or other bitz) off of Metal Minis

The_Universe

First Post
I'm working on attempting to modify a couple of WH40K minis for use in a sueprs game, and I'd like to try to replace the head on at least one of the minis in question. Unfortunately, this mini came with a head pre-attached (unlike a good many 40K minis), which means that this is not simply a matter of choose and swap. I need to cut the head off of a fairly solid pewter miniature before proceeding.

How do I do that? Do I need a dremel or rotary tool? Can it be done with a hobby knife? What do you experts use? Any and all advice appreciated!

Saba Taru

Explorer
Having worked with Warhammer figures for several years now, I can say that under NO circumstances should you use anything that is dremel-esque on a metal mini. I've had them start to melt before I figured that one out. It wasn't pretty.

That said, the easiest thing I've found to do what you want is a jeweler's saw. Most hobby stores sell them, and I'm pretty sure that Games Workshop also sells one, but they're usually more expensive than a generic hobby store one will be. Just be prepared to use lots of files and green stuff until you master the saw. It took some screw-ups, but was worth it, in my opinion.

I'm also certain there are other ways to do it. The above is just what happens to work best for me. :)

Saba

[EDIT] I should probably also mention that for smaller snips off of metal minis it's ok to use an old pair of "metal/wire snips" like the ones GW sells (the yellow handled ones). Its usually best to have one pair for metal, one for plastic, and one from a hardware store for those tough jobs that would break the other two.

Last edited:

Ursa Romanov

First Post
I beg to differ on the dremel thing. I have been painting minis professionally for nearly 20 years and I use a dremmel all the time. I also use a jewlers saw, wire cutters, and even nail clippers. All have their uses and functions. Hell I have even used a mitter saw a time or two expecially on heads between raised arms.

Remove ads