• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.5 - Advanced Technology

DJ_draken07

First Post
Hey guys,

I need some advice about a campaign idea I had in mind.

The campaign right now is LV 5 party in the Medievil Age.

Well I think it be cool to give birth to a new age in the game.

Where the Medievil world is starting to use advanced Magical Technology such as Airships , Guns , ETC

Whats you guys think about this, What should I do for equipment, Plots , or anything.

I love suggestions and Opinions so go for it.

OH i almost forgot, I was thinking about making guns single shot , and 2 full rounds to reload.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I need some advice about a campaign idea I had in mind.

The campaign right now is LV 5 party in the Medievil Age.

Well I think it be cool to give birth to a new age in the game.

Where the Medievil world is starting to use advanced Magical Technology such as Airships , Guns , ETC

Whats you guys think about this, What should I do for equipment, Plots , or anything.

I love suggestions and Opinions so go for it.

OH i almost forgot, I was thinking about making guns single shot , and 2 full rounds to reload.

Oh this is a cool idea. :) You can do a whole campaign story centered around coming out of a Dark Age.

Let’s think of a new campaign title—something like “Light Emerging out the Darkness”

Now since we want to center our theme of New Technology that Brings Light in an Age of Darkness, so let’s think of some of the major creations that our technology will be and then we’ll discuss some threats.

First up, the gun. This will obviously change the face of war. Let’s make this item a non-magical item. Anyone can make a gun with the right components and anyone can be trained to fire one.

Second, the airship. Now we can make this magical, but it’s always been a common theme to make an airship somewhat arcane in nature such as a wizard invents one, or that an elemental is bound to it, etc. So let’s make this unique in that not choosing any of these. Let’s say there is a special material called lightstone that can be mined deep in the Underdark that causes things to float. The lightstone itself is quite magical and to bond it to the ship to get it to float is a magical process, but anyone can pilot the ship with skill and training.

Third, the telescope. Beings are able to see the other stars, moon, and planets with greater clarity. They also can the other constellations in the sky. This is a non-magical device.

Now we have three inventions in which will come into play during our campaign. We can invent more, but we want to create a theme in how the world views them. So here’s a possible way we can break down our campaign.

Levels 1-3: A War Synopsis: The PC’s are part of a group of adventurers hired by a noble to go to a secret location that is dedicated toward a war effort. This could be a war between two duchies, baronies, or nations. The PC’s go the location which is located in a monster-infested woods and is a set of ruins for the PC’s to explore. They find out that this location was overrun by monsters at the behest of the Guild of Magic. The PC’s have to free the prisoners, defeat the monsters, defeat any Guild of Magic representatives, and maybe assist with weaponsmiths and alchemists who are making a new kind a weapon—the arquebus.

Enemies: Monsters from the woods, goblinoids, and the Guild of Magic.
Motivations: Monsters get food in the form of humans and dwarves. Goblinoids get shiny coins from Wizards. The Guild of Magic is threatened by the power of a gun that can be wielded by anyone. They want to win the war, but to not have any technology that threatens the status quo of using magical means of wiping out one’s enemies.
Conclusion: A lot of guns get made and the enemy loses a major battle and then sues for peace. The PC’s are war heroes. Members of the Guild of Magic are arrested, exiled, etc.

Levels 4-10: Airship Campaign: So we break this up into a couple of parts:
Part 1 (Levels 4-6)—the PC’s are hired to go into some remote mines to deliver a large payment of gold in exchange for lightstone. The PC’s have no idea what lightstone is or does since no one has ever used the stuff. The PC’s get to the mines and find out that they are completely abandoned and deep. The PC’s explore around, fight wandering monsters, and discover evidence that the dwarves that lived in those mines were attacked and their bodies taken deeper into the depths. The PC’s begin their journey into the Underdark and the adventure ends with the PC’s going to a drow outpost and rescuing the survivors.
Part 2 (Levels 7-8)—the PC’s know that the drow were working with some kind of alliance of monsters and cabalists over the lightstone. They learn what it does, but they don’t know its possible applications. The PC’s track the alliance and puppeteers through the Underdark to some surface ruins far away from their home. They also find some Guild of Magic mages who were captured and tortured for their knowledge of lightstone. Apparently the alliance plans to use the lightstone to lift a castle in the sky so they can have a base of operations from the air (who can fly and oppose them while in the air?). At the end of this part, the castle goes up.
Part 3 (Levels 9-10)—the PC’s now use the help of the freed mages from the Guild of Magic to create an airship, go into the castle and defeat the terrible evil ready to be unleashed on the surface below. The PC’s have to explore the castle.
Note: If you had the PC’s enemies of the Guild of Magic before, they are likely to be considered “even” with the Guild for rescuing members and assisting with the invention of the airship.

Levels: 11+ War of Interpretation—A famed mage and devoted cleric of a God of Magic creates the telescope. He scans the heavens, makes incredible discoveries about the stars, the world, and writes and publishes a book that challenges the assumptions of the many interpretations of both magical and arcane thought. At first, no one thinks on the matter, but clerics begin to receive angry visions from their gods about this perceived slight. The God of Magic is doing what he can to protect his follower, but there is even a schism within his own church because of the challenging assumptions of the world. A rival, yet large sect declares war over the heresy. The PC’s have to find some way to appease the gods, protect the cleric, and avert a religious war.

Okay, there you go!

DJ_draken07

First Post
Oh this is a cool idea. :) You can do a whole campaign story centered around coming out of a Dark Age.

Let’s think of a new campaign title—something like “Light Emerging out the Darkness”

Now since we want to center our theme of New Technology that Brings Light in an Age of Darkness, so let’s think of some of the major creations that our technology will be and then we’ll discuss some threats.

First up, the gun. This will obviously change the face of war. Let’s make this item a non-magical item. Anyone can make a gun with the right components and anyone can be trained to fire one.

Second, the airship. Now we can make this magical, but it’s always been a common theme to make an airship somewhat arcane in nature such as a wizard invents one, or that an elemental is bound to it, etc. So let’s make this unique in that not choosing any of these. Let’s say there is a special material called lightstone that can be mined deep in the Underdark that causes things to float. The lightstone itself is quite magical and to bond it to the ship to get it to float is a magical process, but anyone can pilot the ship with skill and training.

Third, the telescope. Beings are able to see the other stars, moon, and planets with greater clarity. They also can the other constellations in the sky. This is a non-magical device.

Now we have three inventions in which will come into play during our campaign. We can invent more, but we want to create a theme in how the world views them. So here’s a possible way we can break down our campaign.

Levels 1-3: A War Synopsis: The PC’s are part of a group of adventurers hired by a noble to go to a secret location that is dedicated toward a war effort. This could be a war between two duchies, baronies, or nations. The PC’s go the location which is located in a monster-infested woods and is a set of ruins for the PC’s to explore. They find out that this location was overrun by monsters at the behest of the Guild of Magic. The PC’s have to free the prisoners, defeat the monsters, defeat any Guild of Magic representatives, and maybe assist with weaponsmiths and alchemists who are making a new kind a weapon—the arquebus.

Enemies: Monsters from the woods, goblinoids, and the Guild of Magic.
Motivations: Monsters get food in the form of humans and dwarves. Goblinoids get shiny coins from Wizards. The Guild of Magic is threatened by the power of a gun that can be wielded by anyone. They want to win the war, but to not have any technology that threatens the status quo of using magical means of wiping out one’s enemies.
Conclusion: A lot of guns get made and the enemy loses a major battle and then sues for peace. The PC’s are war heroes. Members of the Guild of Magic are arrested, exiled, etc.

Levels 4-10: Airship Campaign: So we break this up into a couple of parts:
Part 1 (Levels 4-6)—the PC’s are hired to go into some remote mines to deliver a large payment of gold in exchange for lightstone. The PC’s have no idea what lightstone is or does since no one has ever used the stuff. The PC’s get to the mines and find out that they are completely abandoned and deep. The PC’s explore around, fight wandering monsters, and discover evidence that the dwarves that lived in those mines were attacked and their bodies taken deeper into the depths. The PC’s begin their journey into the Underdark and the adventure ends with the PC’s going to a drow outpost and rescuing the survivors.
Part 2 (Levels 7-8)—the PC’s know that the drow were working with some kind of alliance of monsters and cabalists over the lightstone. They learn what it does, but they don’t know its possible applications. The PC’s track the alliance and puppeteers through the Underdark to some surface ruins far away from their home. They also find some Guild of Magic mages who were captured and tortured for their knowledge of lightstone. Apparently the alliance plans to use the lightstone to lift a castle in the sky so they can have a base of operations from the air (who can fly and oppose them while in the air?). At the end of this part, the castle goes up.
Part 3 (Levels 9-10)—the PC’s now use the help of the freed mages from the Guild of Magic to create an airship, go into the castle and defeat the terrible evil ready to be unleashed on the surface below. The PC’s have to explore the castle.
Note: If you had the PC’s enemies of the Guild of Magic before, they are likely to be considered “even” with the Guild for rescuing members and assisting with the invention of the airship.

Levels: 11+ War of Interpretation—A famed mage and devoted cleric of a God of Magic creates the telescope. He scans the heavens, makes incredible discoveries about the stars, the world, and writes and publishes a book that challenges the assumptions of the many interpretations of both magical and arcane thought. At first, no one thinks on the matter, but clerics begin to receive angry visions from their gods about this perceived slight. The God of Magic is doing what he can to protect his follower, but there is even a schism within his own church because of the challenging assumptions of the world. A rival, yet large sect declares war over the heresy. The PC’s have to find some way to appease the gods, protect the cleric, and avert a religious war.

Okay, there you go!

MY GOD man, You are amazing with Ideas. Wow

I give you two thumbs up and SOME EXP! HEHE

I can work on this thanks to your brainstorming ideas. :)

kitsune9

Adventurer
Thanks, it was fun as you did a theme that I haven't heard about before. I don't know what edition you play or your level limit tolerance, but overall, you should be able to span a campaign on these premises.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Some other thoughts.

Depending on your campaign so far, guns could have a wide variety of shapes and styles. For instance, S.M. Stirling's sword & planet novel, In the Courts of the Crimson Kings, the Martians are masters of biotechnology, having had no interruptions in their culture in tens of thousands of years, but also having no access to fossil fuels or nuclear materials.

Their biotech extends to all kinds of things we use for tech, like living engines...and even guns. The martian gun-creatures fire needle-like projectiles by using exploding methane as the propellant. Yes, they need to be fed; yes, they can only fire as fast as they can refill their gas chambers; yes, shooting them results in a burning fart smell.

(BTW, I'm yoinking this for the martians in my Supers 1912 campaign.)

I bring that all up because...you can have Druids doing the same doggone thing. A little Druidic magic, alchemy and animal/plant lore, combined with...lets say...Craft Wand?...and your mundane Wand of Magic Missiles becomes a living Druidic poison dart flinger. OK...you wouldn't let that have the autohit...

This is very much like how it was handled in the Shanarra books- they had crystals that absorbed light and provided lift.

Other options:

The RPG Space: 1889 handles flying airships with Liftwood, a rare-ish tree that has an anti-gravity effect, the force of lift based on how panels of it are angled vs gravity.

This was based on HG Wells' cavorite (a metallic alloy), from his novel, The First Men in the Moon. If you keep it as an alloy, this metal could- paradoxically- be a secret of the Dwarves.

The telescope could be the outgrowth of humans re-purposing dwarven tech. There are certain minerals, like high-grade quartz or corundum, that can be found in optically clear forms, and can be used to make lenses- in fact, both of those are currently used as watch crystals. While Dwarves may fashion lenses out of them to make magnifying lenses to improve their ability to do fine metalwork, humans playing around with the same lenses could accidentally discover the stars.

Dwarves may also have the tech to grow certain crystals, like quartz or corundum.

FWIW, those minerals also come in colored forms- some still optically clean.* Because of that, certain people have made sunglasses out of them. Those minerals, being harder and clearer than glass would be the first sunglasses on record- Nero, for one, apparently had emerald-lensed sunglasses...and those would be pretty cloudy (emeralds are almost always full of inclusions). So were the Chinese quartz glasses of the 12th century.

These could be a boon to light sensitive races like Orcs or Drow. Hmmmm...sunglass-wearing drow swordsmen. How cool is that?

* Besides being perfectly clear, quartz also comes in purple (amethyst), yellow (citrine), rosy or smoky-brown colors, and corundum can be yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, pink (all of which are called sapphires) or red (ruby).

kitsune9

Adventurer
Good stuff Danny! I didn't think the "lightstone" approach was unique though, but I took a shot.

Actually if we think about it--we know that airships can be powered by elementals (Eberron), materials, magic (Spelljammer), and wacky science (Final Fantasy). I guess we can think of some other ways to make and power the airships.

1) Sacrifices--willing. A dying person gives their life to become the power an airship. The airship acts like an intelligent weapon in terms of control, ego, and purpose, but a ritual gives the airship "life" and the ability for flight.
2. Sacrifices--unwilling. Sacrifice enough innocent blood in the name of some vile demon god and you can lift anything and give it motion.
3) Faith--the power of faith is the only thing that makes an airship go. Maybe the faith of a follower/cleric can be solidified into "fuel" or that the faithful must be hooked up to an apparatus. Should they waiver in their faith, the ship can come crashing down.
4. Battery--Think of The Matrix. That ship isn't going to get powered by itself. You need people as a battery to get the ship moving. Illithids would probably loooove this approach.
5. Magical Leylines--the world has powerful magical leylines that crisscross each other everywhere high in the sky. Arcane/divine magic is used to lift the ship onto a leyline where it is firmly "attached". The ship can only move forward or backward along the leyline though it can turn should it reach a "junction". Should the ship actually move off the leyline, it plummets to the ground below, but as long as the leyline exists, the ship will stay up in the sky indefinitely.

Remove ads