• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 Charm and other spells question

anest1s

First Post
I was wondering, if Wizard A casts to target B a Charm spell (Like Charm Person) or a Compulsion (like Suggestion):

-Is there any way so that target B can pretend that the charm worked?

-If the spell has verbal components (or somatic or whatever) and the target B knows that a spell (not what spells exactly) is cast then how this works? He forgets that one spell was casted on him, and he remembers it later?

-If the target has spellcraft and recognizes the spell? Then what? He knows that he is charmed, yet he forgets it? Or maybe he can hold himself from acting too friendly?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
If the target saves, the caster knows the spell failed. This is in the rules for targeted spells.

If he fails the save yet identifies the spell, he's still charmed. Even knowing that he is under a magical effect doesn't let him ignore it. He thinks something like, "Fred cast a charm on me, but I don't mind, because Fred is my good friend and I would feel this helpful toward him anyway."

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There's a feat for it! Only if your DM allows spelltouched feats from Unearthed Arcana. But...they're very very not overpowered at all, taking one is pretty much always the opposite of optimizing. So in most games you could probably do it.

SRD said:
False Pretenses [Spelltouched]
Those who try to charm you get an unpleasant surprise.

Prerequisite
Exposure to charm or dominate spell.

Benefit
When you succeed on a save against a charm or compulsion effect, the character trying to charm or compel you believes that you failed your save. You can play along voluntarily if you wish to. if the charm or compulsion involves telepathic commands, you continue to receive them, although you aren't obligated to follow them.

Jack Simth

First Post
There's a feat for it! Only if your DM allows spelltouched feats from Unearthed Arcana. But...they're very very not overpowered at all, taking one is pretty much always the opposite of optimizing. So in most games you could probably do it.
*Blinks*

Oh, hey - that lets Dominate Person act as Telepathic Bond, to a goodly degree. Nifty.

anest1s

First Post
Nice feat, but I won't feel it would be fair giving it to an NPC (or even ideal, except if the feat is his background too)...maybe sometime I try it as a player though.

Other than that, I will make it sound like the Charmed NPC is in a dream-like condition. I can't think how else it would work realistic (realistic in d&d :p yeah whatever).
And as in a dream, the way of thinking wont make too much sense- so that being a bit stupid will be possible.
(Like the example in the Charm Person spell description...I doubt that a friendly NPC would try to slow down a dragon just for a while, if not charmed.)

Thanks for the replies...and please tell me what you think of the dream-like condition I thought as a solution?

Dross

Explorer
I'm going to work on charm but you can extrapolate the compulsions from that.

I was wondering, if Wizard A casts to target B a Charm spell (Like Charm Person) or a Compulsion (like Suggestion):

-Is there any way so that target B can pretend that the charm worked?
Covered, but generally no.

-If the spell has verbal components (or somatic or whatever) and the target B knows that a spell (not what spells exactly) is cast then how this works? He forgets that one spell was casted on him, and he remembers it later?
I'd say no, but unless the B is paranoid enough to fear even friends, then WizA obviously cast a beneficial spell for his friend. Later however as B remembers how he acted while WizA was around, B might come to the conclusion that he had been charmed (since it would be known that wizards can control others with their magics).

-If the target has spellcraft and recognizes the spell? Then what? He knows that he is charmed, yet he forgets it? Or maybe he can hold himself from acting too friendly?
This is more problematical and relies even more on B's motivation. "Realistically" B probably shouldn't help WizA, but I'm loath to have a successful spell fizzle in such a way. I'd try to treat WizA as someone that you know but don't like and as such would do the bare minimum without outright reneging on WizA.

Also note that if you don't see/hear the caster but save, you do feel a hostile force act against you but might not know the source (for spells with no visible/audible tells).

Remove ads