• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.5 Eberron PBP game needing players

The_Magician

First Post
Title: Scumbags of Sharn
ECL: 1
Moves per week: 4+
Number of players: 4
Send your questions and character submissions to: unholyness@hotmail.com

Not a single city in all of Khorvaire gets even close to the magnificense of Sharn, the city of Towers. With a population of 200,000 living in a vertical city made exclusivelly of towers, ranging from a hundread feet to a mile high, Sharn gathers all kinds of people and business, as well as all sorts of problems and solutions that come with them.

The city is also known by other titles, such as The City of Knives, The City of Lost Souls, The City of a Thousand Eyes, and The Gateway to Perdition. That is a remainder that Sharn isn’t made only of rich architectures, great foods, marvelous magic transportations - like the skycoaches and airships – and an extensive choice of entertainments. A first time visitor may be enchanted by its wonderful and breathtaking visage, but he is soon to experience the bitter after-taste of the city.

We turn our attention to the poorest area of Sharn, the quarter of Dura, located on the western plateau, where even the topmost levels of its towers hold no more than middle class people. So lets take a look at it, but lets move down... waaaaaaaay down.... where we can find a large and miserable population, made mostly of immigrants from Darguun and Droaam, forming a neighborhood of goblinoids and other monstrous residents.

It’s in that awful place, inside a small apartment - which is nothing but a 15x12 room – that we will find them. The Scumbags of Sharn.

The room is dark, dusty, hot, stinking of sweat and urine. There is no furniture here, but an old, ragged hammock crossing the room diagonally over its center. Piles of straws are scattered all around and cover most of the ground, made of cheap, old, creaking wood. A few rats roam around, searching for rests of food littering the corners, like chicken bones, bread crumbs, and the remaining, rotting parts of other dead rats, who seem to have been eaten raw.

Seven figures sit around in a circle, scratching their furry bodies in silence, which is eventually broken by loud belchings, hacking coughs, groans, moans, and some unashamed gassy noises.

“Ok, let’s take a look at our situation.”, the large boned, burly figure speaks, in a low voice, and in the less refined language of goblinoids. Although it is completely dark, all of them are perfectly capable to see each other. Already guessing what’s about to come, others grunt, snort and mumble, one even insulting the speaker’s mother under his fetid breath.

“Shut up and listen!” the voice shouts, punching the wooden floor and giving it a new crack. Guzzard, a violent and cunning hobgoblin, is the leader of this little group, self entitled the Scumbags of Sharn. It’s actually how anyone in that neighborhood is referred as, but Guzzard’s band seem to carry that name with pride. Proud to be the lowest of the low, although always dreaming with the opportunity to move up and, hopefully, make into one of the top criminal guilds, like the Daask.

Once most of them shut up, after muttering a few more insults to Guzzard’s mother, their leader continues,

“The situation is this. I gambled all our money and lost everything...” , and they all grunt, spit and sware again, but the hobgoblin continues, raising his voice, “We have less than a week to make 100 gold pieces, so we can pay Lockmar, or he will come here with his fellow assassins from House Tarkanan and slit our throats!”

Those last words put them all to a nervous silence, their monstrous bodies breaking a cold sweat, their eyes shifting from one face to the other, till they’re all staring at their leader, waiting to hear his plan...

About the game:

With this game I have decided to work with an unusual, but still very entertaining gaming idea. First of all, your characters are not heroes, but petty criminals barely making it to survive another day. That means there is no linear plot in this game. My goal is to make the city of towers as lively as possible, offering you the available options for your situation, and drawing you a good enough picture that you could either take one of the directions I have given you, or come up with new plans on your own (in which case I will reward you with extra XP). How to make 100 gold pieces in less than a week? Burglary, kidnapping, pickpocketing, assassination, or what? Real party interaction, setting up a plan and putting it to action, step by step, then making it safely back to the hideout. Not to mention great environment interaction in the process.

Second of all, in many adventures, we know that the DM will rarelly kill our characters right at the beginning, and even further into the game, we notice when we are in the middle of that freaking hard battle, getting out butts kicked, but still we all survive, even if barely. Since there is no linear plot here, all your characters are expendable. Isn’t that great!? You die, I replace you. The Scumbags of Sharn will still exist. The game can continue without you. That gives more excitement to the game, because you will know that every danger in this game is real, and you could die, or go to jail, anytime. Your goal is to try to make it as far as you can, maybe even become a notorious villain, or create your own criminal organisation.

Third, and finally, knowing that such a game requires players to be pro-active, and that the chances of dying will be high, I will be generously rewarding XP and Action Points, so we can have a quicker level advancement than normal.

Character Creation Rules:

a) Races allowed: Orc, Half-Orc, Kobold, Goblin, and Hobgoblin;
b) ECL: 1;
c) Use the standard point buy system to define your stats. You have 22 points;
d) Starting gold: As per class;
e) Alignment: Evil;
f) One of your bonus languages have to be goblinoid and/or Common. Just make sure your character can speak both;
g) In your character history, don't forget to tell me how he ended up joining the Scumbags of Sharn;
h) Books allowed: PHB; DMG; Eberron Campaign Set; Sharn, City of Towers; Races of Eberron.

DEADLINE: 30th of June.

Send your questions and character submissions to: unholyness@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Hobgoblins have an LA of +1, so how can you be an ECL1 hobgoblin? Just start at 0 exp and it will sort itself out shortly??

The_Magician

First Post
Yeah, I am aware of that. Hobgoblins are not that great, though. =P So it won't make much of a difference. They will have one hit die and I will handicap the character if I think it is unbalanced, but I doubt that will happen. In case it does, i will discuss it with the player and find the best solution. Not much worried about that, though.

Bront

The man with the probe
The_Magician said:
Yeah, I am aware of that. Hobgoblins are not that great, though. =P So it won't make much of a difference. They will have one hit die and I will handicap the character if I think it is unbalanced, but I doubt that will happen. In case it does, i will discuss it with the player and find the best solution. Not much worried about that, though.

I don't think it is a big issue, they're slightly better at class level 1, then slightly worse when everyone else is L2, and then it evens out.

Just curious. I have too much on my plate to submit anything.

Remove ads