• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [D&D 3.5] Going for an exotic improved familiar

anest1s

First Post
I am DMing for some time now in a group of 2 players.
They are both level 5,
-A ranger/fighter (he likes to have many animals following him- he wants to be the king of all wild creatures...only the chaotic evil version of it)
-A wizard (he likes enchantment spells...and he uses his powers for evil. He likes everything evil, so I suspect he likes necromancy too.)

They have a deal with a God much like Tharizdun (If I knew Tharizdun when I was planning the plot I would have used him...hell I may still do so). The deal is simple, he gives them power, they free him.

Now to the point...the wizard wants to get an improved familiar. He hasn't set his mind on something though. He hasn't the feat yet, but they will level soon and he plans to get it.

I want to find something worthy to be present of a God. For this reason, I don't want to give a standard creature.

I have 2 choices:

• Giving him a standard creature and changing the description only...which is cheap but safe.
  • Giving him an altered creature with changed description. I would prefer this, except I am going to fail at making something balanced me thinks.
  • Creating something from scratch. I don't think I can do it...but I feel I have to ask if any of you by any chance has an awesome custom made familiar in his DM folder :angel:

I plan to ask him to pick a familiar in a dream. I haven't think a way to make him see their abilities before choosing. Well I just thought I will make him fight them all in his dream. Writing in this forum inspires me. :uhoh:

Anyway, I think the following choices for base creature:
-Imp
-Winter Wolf
-Howler
-Hell Hound
-Jaculi (Serpent Kingdoms page 66)

(Got them from here Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible)

I think that maybe I am missing some obvious familiar choice, so if you can think of something please tell me.

The Imp
(SRD:Imp - D&D Wiki)

I think I would change the Alternate form. I don't know what forms would be balanced to swap, but I would like to give it a snake form and a raven one. Also I would like to get rid of suggestion and give it something else, but what could that else be? Maybe a Cause Fear, like the one Quasits have. but then its a Quasit. Oh well.

I like Imps appearance, but for the sake of not giving an imp but a ''mysterious'' creature I am imagining something like a fiendish raven with small atrophic hands.

The Winter Wolf
(SRD:Winter Wolf - D&D Wiki)

I like this one...cold and darkness go well together. I may change cold damage to negative, or half cold half negative...however what if he decides to make a zombie army later ?

I will change the description and make it a shadowy/evil version of the original creature.

The Howler
(SRD:Howler - D&D Wiki)

Well, I will probably use it as it is...

The Hell Hound
(SRD:Hell Hound - D&D Wiki)

Where fire, read cold and where cold fire. Except if I go for blue flames. Hmm....

The Jaculi

Well what I like in this one is actually its picture, so I don't want to change this a lot. Its abilities...well to be honest I can't remember them now, I will have to borrow the book or ask for its stats.

What do you think about the changes?
Anything else to suggest?
Any ideas on how to show off their abilities in game? (Showing them all in battle may be difficult for the imp.)

Remove ads