• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5] Paths of Legend: Paths of Madness (OOC)

Myth and Legend

First Post
Monkey since this is your campaign setting, i wanted to ask you how far can we go when picking out the race/character? Can we play something out of the MM for example? Like a Minotaur or Ogre or even a Lich (ok a Lich is too much but still)? Can the character be an outsider? Or a fairy.. I want to know how far i can take this :D

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Absolutely. Almost anything goes with races, with the caveat that you have to use a Monster Progression. I've revised most of the progressions in Savage Species and come up with several more. Anything I haven't done yet, I'll do if requested. You'll be ECL 6 along with the other characters, so, for example, a Minotaur character will have two levels left to go in his monster progression before he can take a level in a regular class.

Of the races you mentioned, Minotaurs and Outsiders both have interesting stories in this setting, which I will share if you settle on one of those.

Vox Fini

First Post
Ok.
Here is the character, tell me what you think. I know we don't have our spellbook anymore but I went through and chose the spells it would have had anyway.

I've put no familiar on there.

Any other tweaks let me know. I considered the no familiar variant, but giving up metamagic bonus feats did not appeal.

[FONT=&quot]Varon Meyer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Male Human Diviner 6
Neutral Good
Representing Vox Fini[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Strength[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]8[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](-1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dexterity[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]14[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](+2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Constitution[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]16[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](+3)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Intelligence[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]19[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](+4)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wisdom[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]8[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](-1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Charisma[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]8[/FONT] [FONT=&quot](-1)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Size:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Medium[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Height:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]6' 1"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weight:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]185 lb[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skin:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Pale[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eyes:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Blue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hair:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Blonde[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Specialty: Divination[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gave up: Evocation [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Hit Points: 35[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Speed: 30 feet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Armor Class: 12 = 10 +2 [dexterity] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Initiative modifier:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+2[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= +2 [dexterity] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fortitude save:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+5[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 2 [base] +3 [constitution] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reflex save: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 2 [base] +2 [dexterity] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Will save: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 5 [base] -1 [wisdom] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attack (handheld):[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+2[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 3 [base] -1 [strength][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attack (unarmed):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]+2[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 3 [base] -1 [strength][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attack (missile):[/FONT][FONT=&quot]+5[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 3 [base] +2 [dexterity] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grapple check: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]= 3 [base] -1 [strength] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Light load: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]26 lb. or less[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Medium load: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]27-53 lb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Heavy load: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]54-80 lb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Lift over head: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]80 lb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Lift off ground: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]160 lb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Push or drag:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]400 lb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Languages:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Celestial Common Azgundi, Thayan Draconic Elven [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Feats:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skill Focus (Spellcraft)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Spell Focus (Enchantment)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spell Focus (Illusion)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sculpt Spell[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scribe Scroll[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][free to wizard][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Extend Spell[/FONT]

Skills
[FONT=&quot]Concentration[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Con[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]12 =[/FONT][FONT=&quot]+3[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Decipher Script[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 13 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Knowledge (arcana) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]13 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Knowledge (history) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]13 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Knowledge (religion) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]13 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Knowledge (planes) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]13 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spellcraft [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Int[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]18 =[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+4[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+9[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+2 [Knowledge, arcane] +3 [skill focus]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spells known:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zero-level Diviner spells: 5 (4+1) per day[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All Cantrips[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First-level Diviner spells: 5 (3+1+1) per day[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grease[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mage Armor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Silent Image[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Color Spray[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ray of Enfeeblement[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ray of Clumsiness[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mount[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Protection from Evil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Identify[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Second-level Diviner spells: 5 (3+1+1) per day[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glitterdust[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cloud of Bewilderment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detect Thoughts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mirror Image[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Third-level Diviner spells: 4 (2+1+1) per day[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unluck[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fly[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dispel Magic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slow[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Spells Memorized[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0th Level:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Caltrops[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Message[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prestidigitation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mage Hand[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detect Magic[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1st Level:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mage Armour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grease[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colour Spray[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Silent Image[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Identify[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2nd Level:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mirror Image[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cloud of Bewilderment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sculpted Colour Spray[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glitterdust[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detect Thoughts[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3rd Level:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sculpted Cloud of Bewilderment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fly[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slow[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unluck[/FONT]

Born to relatively inauspicious beginning’s, Varon’s parents ran a small weaver’s shop in an insignificant village near the northern borders of Azgund. Varon was physically an unremarkable child in his early years, and it was generally accepted that he would follow in his parents footsteps as a weaver. Fate, and a band of slavers, had different ideas, and a raid on the village saw Varon’s parents, along with most of his peers, carried away in chains or struck down where they stood. Varon’s mother managed to stuff him beneath several bolts of heavy, coarse cloth, which the raiders overlooked in their sacking of the village.

Lacking the strength to free himself from beneath the heavy fabrics, Varon lay helpless until a hunting party returned to the village. A thorough search turned up the child, along with a few others whose parents had thought on their feet well enough to spare their offspring from sharing their fate.

With most of the village population dead or enslaved, there was no longer the critical mass of people needed to keep such a settlement alive. The few survivors gathered what few belongings they could carry and began the slow trek to the nearest major city.

Varon was more fortunate than his peers, and was adopted by an instructor at the Arcane Academy. His guardian, a kind-hearted but vague and distant man of middle years, for the most part left the child alone with stacks of books to read. Presented with the kind of stimulus not available to the child of weavers in a frontier town, Varon’s intellect rapidly began to shine through, as did his natural aptitude for the arts magical.

As he grew, he found his obsession with the art of Divination growing. Here was the true power of magic, the power to find what was lost, what had been taken. This magic could detect threats before they ever occurred, prevent attacks such as the kind that had taken his parents, his friends, his family.

In his early twenties, he realized that there was little point in knowing an attack was coming if one did nothing to prevent it, so he attempted to broaden his studies, but he discovered at this point that his mind had already grown too rigid. Certain forms of magic would always be denied to him. He cursed his stupidity, and redoubled his efforts in his studies.

His hatred of slavery, and those who practiced it, burned in his heart and mind, and late nights often found him in a tavern, drunk beyond sense of station or decorum, yelling at some stranger about the inviolable Right to Freedom, and the great evils practiced by the nation of Thay. Seeing an opportunity, an Azgundi agent trawling for recruits made contact.

It took very little convincing.

Within a month, Varon was on his way to Thay. Within a week of arrival, he had already decided on the quickest path to bringing down the Thayvia empire. The entire power structure was built on a single lynchpin: magic, and the lies that had been spread regarding its true nature.
With the funds that had been provided to him for this operation, he set up in a small basement beneath a tavern. Warded against spells, he began to churn out pamphlets decrying the arcane council, claiming that magic was a skill available to all, and that the rulers of Thay were corrupt and deceitful.

Varon was, and remains, a brilliant young man. But like so many young men, he greatly overestimates his own ability. In some cases, the lesson taught by life is a gentle one, a reminder that the world is a big place and that there are always those who stand above you. In Varon’s case, the lesson was rather a sharper one.
He had been quietly disseminating the pamphlets for only a matter of days when, ensconced within his basement, working on literature for the next day, the world around him simply exploded.

When he finally came to, he was informed that his location had been divined relatively quickly, his wards broken through with the greatest of ease, and his workshop destroyed with but a thought. He had only survived the explosion through the Council’s desire to see him publicly executed, a fate which now lay only days away.

Now, all that is left is to wait for death.

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Don't know much about your campaign settling CM... but I'd like to toss the idea around of a rogue.... if there's still room left that is heh

also... do all starts start at 10... or 8? I haven't done a PbP chara in a while.. not for 3.5 and can't remember the Point Buy tables and starting stats and such.. I'm PbP rusty apprently LOL

Edit: Added Character!

Dremis Lightfoot
Male Halfling Rogue 6
True Neutral
Representing Rathan

Strength 12 (+1)
Dexterity 19 (+4)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Size: Small
Height: 3' 4"
Weight: 38 lb
Skin: Light
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blond; Straight; Beardless

Total Hit Points: 24

Speed: 20 feet

Armor Class: 15 = 10, +4 [dexterity], +1 [small]

Touch AC: 15
Flat-footed: 15 [uncanny dodge]

Initiative modifier: +4 = +4 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +4 = 2 [base] +1 [constitution] +1 [halfling]
Reflex save: +10 = 5 [base] +4 [dexterity] +1 [halfling]
Will save: +3 = 2 [base] +1 [halfling]
Attack (handheld): +6 = 4 [base] +1 [strength] +1 [small]
Weapon Finesse: +9 = 4 [base] +4 [dexterity] +1 [small]
Two Weapon Fighting: +7/+7= 4 [base] +4 [dexterity] +1 [Small] [-2/-2 two attacks]
Attack (unarmed): +6 = 4 [base] +1 [strength] +1 [small]
Attack (missile): +9 = 4 [base] +4 [dexterity] +1 [small]
Grapple check: +1 = 4 [base] +1 [strength] -4 [small]

Unarmed Damage: 1d2+1 [small]
Sickle Damage: 1d4+1 [small] (+1 dmg if I get my +1 sickles back)

Light load: 32 lb. or less
Medium load: 33-65 lb.
Heavy load: 65-98 lb.
Lift over head: 98 lb.
Lift off ground: 195 lb.
Push or drag: 488 lb.

Languages: Common Elven Halfling Orc

Feats:

Two-Weapon Fighting
Two-Weapon Defense
Weapon Finesse

Traits:

Skills:
(Pluses with no Descriptor are ranks taken in each skill)
Appraise (Int) +4 = +2 +2 [Int]
Balance (Dex*) +10 = +4 +4 [Dex] +2
Bluff (Cha) +5= +4 +1 [Cha]
Climb (Str*) +7 = +4 +1 [Str] +2 [halfling]
Concentration (Con) +1 = +1 [Con]
Decipher Script (Int) +4 = +2 +2 [Int]
Diplomacy (Cha) +5 = +4 +1 [Cha]
Disable Device (Int) +10 = +8 +2 [Int]
Disguise (Cha) +1 = +1 [Cha]
Escape Artist (Dex*) +10 = +6 +4 [Dex]
Forgery (Int) +2 = +2 [Int]
Gather Information (Cha) +1 = +1 [Cha]
Heal (Wis) 0
Hide (Dex*) +16 = +8 +4 [Dex] +4 [small]
Intimidate (Cha) +1 = +1 [Cha]
Jump (Str*) +5 = +1 [Str] +2 [halfling] +2 [tumble]
Listen (Wis) +6 = +4 +2 [halfling]
Move Silently (Dex*) +14 = +8 +4 [Dex] +2 [halfling]
Open Lock (Dex) +12 = +8 +4 [Dex]
Ride (Dex) +4 = +4 [Dex]
Search (Int) +6 = +4 +2 [Int]
Sense Motive (Wis) 0
Sleight of Hand (Dex) +8 = +4 +4 [Dex]
Spot (Wis) +4 = +4
Survival (Wis) 0
Swim (Str**) +5 = +4 +1 [Str]
Tumble (Dex*) +10 = +6 +4 [Dex]
Use Mag. Device(Cha) +7 = +6 +1 [Cha]
Use Rope (Dex) +4 = +4 [Dex]

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Escape Artist >=5 ranks gives +2 on use rope checks for bindings.

Halfling:

* +2 dexterity / -2 strength (already included)

* Small (combat bonuses, +4 to hide already included)

* +2 racial bonus on climb, jump, move silently

* +1 racial bonus on all saving throws (already included)

* +2 morale bonus on saves vs. fear (stacks with racial bonus)

* +1 to hit with thrown weapons and slings

* +2 racial bonus on listen checks (already included)

Rogue:

* Sneak Attack +3d6

* Trapfinding

* Evasion (level 2)

* Trap Sense (level 3)

* Uncanny Dodge (level 4)

* Improved Uncanny Dodge (level 8)

* Special Abilities (choices begin at 10th level)

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Rogue 6
Level 2: Rogue 3.5
Level 3: Rogue 3.5
Level 4: Rogue 3.5 +1 to dexterity
Level 5: Rogue 3.5
Level 6: Rogue 3.5

Dremis Lightfoot's Equipment:

None... adventure doesn't allow it.. but my character prefers using sickles and studded leatherarmor

More about Dremis Lightfoot:

Dremis' story began for him really on the hard streets just like most would imagine big city life to be. He begged, stole and, gambled for the food on his plate on a daily basis. Thankfully for Dremis though he was good at what he did, and once he realized it true potential, his efforts doubled and tripled, thus quickly earning a name for himself as a quirky little halfling thief. Dremis was getting good at his tasks at his hand, boosting confidence in himself and to be quiet honest in those that were hiring him. He would delve into dungeons on a regular basis and come back with employers requested items in had, not to mention a few goodies for himself as well. Dremis was a rather laid back being, more letting life come to him, and if he felt it amused him or interested him enough he'd interact accordingly. Dermis' ego would get the best of him at times as he knew he was good at what he did and had the skills to back this up. As most know the main problem with thievery is, once you are named as a thief, it makes doing your namesake much, MUCH more difficult. Try as he might Dremis could no longer keep the label of thief off his record, and more than likely this was his ego's own doing. Someone might have well drawn a large red bulls eye on his back when it came to law enforcement as they were getting to the point of relentless chase in order to apprehend Dremis for his crimes. On a routine heist, Dremis' last recollection was the sharp pain of a blow to the back of head and his mind hazily coming back into focus, around him people he did not know in a place not familiar to him. He knew he'd been in some rather sticky situations before but something told him that this would be just beginning of something that would change him for the rest of his life.

[sblock=Items Dremis' would have had on him when captured (suggested taken items)]
Studded Leather +1
+1 Sickle
+1 Sickle
Masterwork Thieves Tools
Basic Adventuring Gear[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Can VV get a spot here? Or is this something prohibited for us players of Azgundi tournament? If so I would want to taste the mind flayer progression, which you have already sent me. If it's possible of course.

Last edited:

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Rathan, welcome aboard! I'll have a look at your character in more detail tomorrow.

Voda Vosa, absolutely. :D Just keep in mind that there is a very slim chance that these characters may one day end up interacting with the characters currently in Azgundi Tournaments. Very slim chance, but a chance nonetheless. And, a Mind Flayer would be...very interesting to say the least. :D If you decide to go that route we'll have to talk via PM about some plot and background stuff. ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
Wow. The wide-open nature of the game along with the intriguing opening premise certainly piques my interest. I'm especially interested in trying a more outlandish character concept; I love Savage Species. I have two initial ideas. Let me know if either sounds workable.

The Shadow
This tragic character didn't survive the hardships of prison long enough to meet his fate upon the gallows. Whether he was initially guilty or not doesn't much matter any more. Having been badly beaten by a guard following a failed escape attempt, this inmate's body eventually succumbed to its brutal injuries. Left to rot in a lightless oubliette, the man died alone in the dark. Now darkness, a fleeting memory of a life lost and a dream of escape is all that remains.

The Air Elemental
Men weren't meant to fester for years in the lightless depth of a dungeon. It's an environment that is anathema to life. Air can quickly grow stale and poisonous with so many languishing bodies packed into tight confines. The wizards of Thay don't care for their prisoners dying before their time however and have made good use of their magic to remedy the situation. Not all who are imprisoned have been accused of a crime. In the bowels of the prison, there is a magically bound air elemental who's sole function it is to drive a series of mammoth fans that circulate air through the dungeon's lower levels. But, when a half-mad gnome inmate seeks escape through its ventilation tunnels, and inadvertently breaks the magical sigil binding the elemental to its task, even the wind itself will fight to regain the freedom of the open air.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads