• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5] Paths of Legend: Paths of Madness (OOC)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Naw. A chisel & mallet is probably sufficient for cracking open even tough dwarven skulls. The crowbar if for heftier beasties such as minotaurs, ogres, trolls and the like. The Sledgehammer is for somewhat larger beasties such as small dragons or giants. For colossal dragons, leviathans and astral dreadnoughts, our hungry illithid would likely require a good pickaxe, plenty of time and maybe a few ranks in profession (miner). :D

sounds about right.

Rathan

First Post
heh.... picture this... on top of a colossal dragons head

"squiddies all night brain shack..." inside you would have a round table with looong straws comming from it's center seating would be around the table and a jar near the exit marked 'tips please'

"yaarrr me friends... squiddies is the all night all you can... errr... eat.. brain shack.. carefull though too much and ye might pass out bein' full and content... don't be doin that tho... as the we lil ones might set up shop on top'er yer head and then methinks I might have some comp'a'tition.... arrr"

hehehe

On a side note... NO clue where the pirate speech came from LOL

Ambrus

Explorer
Heh. The flayers would need to setup an oil drilling type rig atop the colossal dragons' head first. "Thar be brains in that thar head, soon we'll strike it rich. Eureka! Thar she blows!!!" :p

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
Abusing size and reach has been around for a while in 3.5 (even i know about it LOL). My Minotaur will focus on grappling (a Grappletaur?) and being tough. I'm at a dilemma weather to distribute the base stats as 18 str 14 dex 16 con and 8 for everything else or go with 16 str 14 dex 16 con and 14 wis (which will give me better will saves, especially if coupled with traits if monkey allows them (they are in unearthed arcana)).

Shayuri

First Post
Alrighty...

I will make a human psion; a Shaper. Perhaps the psychic warrior and I can work out some kind of background tie...but it's not necessary. The concept I'm coming up with would work just fine on its own.

Powerwise, I'll probably focus on battlefield control/summons, defenses, and blasts in roughly that order. The 'blasts' will likely mostly be crystal attacks, so as not to overlap too much with arcane blasts from the sorceror...and I'll leave buffs and save-or-die to the transmuter.

The character's name will be Shard. More data to be forthcoming.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Power attack, cleave, greater clave?

Power Attack might not be as advantageous as we'd assume in this instance. What is Grellus' BAB? Not including his strength bonus, that number is all you'd be able to subtract. I'd ask CM what his base would be, as well as how many feats you're actually supposed to be getting as the standard 1st, 3rd, 6th doesn't really apply for monster progression.

That said: Monkey Grip. Take the -2 to attack in order to use a weapon one size category larger. Nice when you're talking about a Huge weapon.

Large size + high Dexterity + Large and In Charge feat + Combat Reflexes feat + Exotic Weapon (spiked chain) feat = win.

Just an idea. Also, be careful about casually accepting to-hit penalities. As a minotaur your BAB and feat acquisition is directly tied to your Hit Dice, not your character level, so they'll both be lagging behind.

'Large and In Charge' is in the Draconomicon page 71 (You can prevent opponents from closing inside your reach.)

Ooh, lots of good ideas! Too many... :confused: Grellus' BAB is only +3 and he'll never have a great Dex with a -2 Dex to start with as an ogre. I did buy it up to a 13 on the chance that I would later want to use one of the feats that require Dex 13 (I was orginally considering the grappler route). I did also spend 2 points on both Int and Chr. I could play more to his strengths and your ideas and finagle another point for Dex. Would one or two extra AoO be worth spending a feat for Combat Reflexes? EWP Chain certainly fits in with that particular element of his backstory. Hmm, just double-checked the source list; Draconomicon is not on it but Large-and-in-charge is in Sword and Fist. Monkey, since this is already updated to 3.5 though in a source that you don't have listed, what do you think? However, if you prefer I not further abuse size and reach I can go with another idea, because...

I'm also partial to the Three Mountain [Style] feat. I kinda like the benefit and it has lots of feats as prereqs. but the image of an ogre with an over-sized club as big as a tree batting people around appeals also. Monkey Grip fits this well if I can tolerate the extra -2.

And, considering Myth's minotaur is going the barbarian/grappler route and since I think I'll need feats I'll probably change my mind and go Fighter levels, instead, whatever other choice I eventually go with.

Jemal

Adventurer
I'd have to agree that Power Attack/cleave is a great combo. I've never played a melee fighter with it and wished I HADN'T taken it, but I have played fighter's without it and wished I HAD it. That right there is a good seller.

even with a bab of 3, using a 2-hander you've got +6 dmg. true that your bab is lower due to the racial, but the str bonus makes up for the lost accuracy from bab.

As for large and in charge, i've always considered it a 'win or loose' feat, which makes combats less fun, IMO. When it matters, it makes the fight too easy, when it doesn't it's a wasted feat.

GlassEye

Adventurer
"squiddies all night brain shack..."

If you see a faded sign at the side of the road that says
15 miles to the... Brain Shack! Brain Shack yeah
I'm headin' down the Thayvian highway, lookin' for the brain getaway
Heading for the brain getaway, brain getaway, brain getaway, brain getaway,

I got me a ride, it's as big as a whale and we're headin' on
down To the Brain Shack I got me a Chariot, it seats about 20 So hurry
up and bring your synapses, honey...

I could go on but I'll spare you all the rest of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads