• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 Resurgence or Die???

dingle

First Post
I've recently tried out 4.0 D&D whilst I liked the combat system I never created a bond with the PC I played he just seemed a bit plastic.
I've always enjoyed D&D 3.5 but the work for DM to create an adventure could take many hours (I know).
Recently both me and the Overlord have created new sites focused on D&D 3.5
Dingle
http://www.dinglesgames.com/
The Overlord
Monster Advancer 3.5
Both our sites are trying to make the job of a D&D 3.5 DM easier and were released within a couple of months of each other (completely independently).
Was this just chance or did we both see the same opening in the market i.e. the gap between 4.0 and 3.5. Easy to DM 4.0 vs Enjoyable to play 3.5.
I am hoping that 3.5 will last for many years to come (and am in fact investing time, effort and money into this creating a 3.5 web site).
I would love to see the D&D 3.5 books re-released my personal thoughts are 4.0 and 3.5 are completely different games one an RPG the other a tactical tabletop wargame. Both enjoyable but very different.
The problem is that without new D&D 3.5 books being published the 3.5 game will eventualy die out. The New gamers will purchase 4.0 as it's the only one available.
My question to you all is "Will D&D 3.5 survive and if so for how long ???"

Last edited:

aboyd

Explorer
I don't know why we need books. The site d20srd.org has all the material you need to play D&D 3.5, and it's legal.

I play in one D&D 3.5 game, and I DM another. In my game, at least 3 of the players use d20srd.org instead of books. Personally, I think that means that D&D 3.5 will live a nice long life, especially as people become more & more used to referring to a Web site.

dingle

First Post
You may be right but I personly like the rule books in front of me. I'm worried about the next generation of students. The 20-45 group i'm quite sure can make there own discisions having the old books., but the 14-19 will only have 4.0 available.

Vegepygmy

First Post
My question to you all is "Will D&D 3.5 survive and if so for how long ???"
To quote The Architect: "There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept."

My friends and I are still playing 3.5 twice a week. We have tried 4E and have no real interest in playing it. I don't anticipate that the situation will change any time soon.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If you don't like 4th edition and want 3.5 with in-print books, Pathfinder may be the thing for you. It's not exactly 3.5 and not exactly finished, but it promises to continue the spirit of the 3.5 rules and have the end result be mostly backwards compatible.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
For me, 3.5 will last as long as I am playing it and I have no time table as far as when I am going to stop. I already have my own NPC Generation software that I developed, NPC Designer so I don't have to depend upon others. I am even developing new software for 3.5 still. I am focused on creating tools for reducing the prep time before games because I do not run purchased adventures.

As far as books go, not only do I have quite a few extra PHB for players but we also have a specially created SRD just directed for my group that can be printed for far cheaper then the cost of a new book.

green slime

First Post
Given that there is still a vibrant 1e community, with an online presence, and that many of the CRPG games for that ruleset are available online, and I expect, in time, so too will the CRPG games of the 3.x generation. This will always help to foster a small community of 3.x gamers. Check out what the Circle of Eight are doing.

I for one, am never going forward.

irdeggman

First Post
I don't know why we need books. The site d20srd.org has all the material you need to play D&D 3.5, and it's legal.

I play in one D&D 3.5 game, and I DM another. In my game, at least 3 of the players use d20srd.org instead of books. Personally, I think that means that D&D 3.5 will live a nice long life, especially as people become more & more used to referring to a Web site.

But we continously find things "missing" from the SRD that are important and are indeed necessary for specfic rules issues.

irdeggman

First Post
Also there is the pathfinder 3.75 information.

Also "free" and a living system that could be latched onto.

I am still playing 3.5 with my groups and we still love it so I don't think it is going away anytime soon, especially with Paizo latching on to supporting that "niche".

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
But we continously find things "missing" from the SRD that are important and are indeed necessary for specfic rules issues.

QFT

This is why as I said, we created our own SRD in which we took the original as a foundation and filled in the blanks, also adding or changing based on house rules. I think this has allowed us to easily get new players involved in the game because the cost is so cheap for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads