• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(D&D 3.5) The Goblins of the Shattershtruk Hills

Cassander

First Post
A taint of smoke lingers on the wind. Flakes of black ash flutter here and there on the dusty road and among the wayside grasses.

You come upon a small huddle of battered buildings. Roofs are charred, doors are smashed, and windows are broken. Wreckage litters the ground. Glass, mud, burnt thatch, and splinters of wood mingle with spent arrows, spears, and tattered cloth. Blood is splattered everywhere.

A few villagers poke and prod at the debris, but most of them are are gathered near a smoldering heap of timbers at the center of town. They surround a man who is shaking horribly, his eyes bloodshot, wide open. His body seems to be broken in many places.

"I'm afraid we'll all be dead soon. Those hellspawn beasts will be the end of us."

A woman tending him sighs patiently. "They ain't no hellspawn. They's goblins."

"Well, they ain't just any goblins. None like I seen before. They all rode on huge wolves with giant bloody fangs and eyes that burned with an infernal hate. Most of 'em wore thick hides and fought with axes. But a few of them - four or five, I reckon - they was clad in bands of steel and wore the most vile codpieces. Their helmets was shaped like demons. They wielded shields painted with white forms of wolves over black. In their hands was deadly steel that pierced through our ranks like we was so much butchered meat. And they laughed as they burned and they slaughtered. They licked the blood off their lances and killed some more."

The man winces painfully as the woman washes off a deep cut in the man's leg. He shudders and looks past a burnt field. "And woe to those they didn't kill. They grabbed them in their filthy hands and rode off with them! Poor Marla and Brennor and Jaylin..."

His voice trembles and gives out. All is silent for long seconds before he resumes. "Who knows what vileness has become of them."

An adolescent stands up and grabs a pitchfork in his hands. "We must save them!"

The battered man struggles to turn his head towards the youth. "What can we do? All of our fighting men are dead or captured. Brennor was the strongest and the bravest of us all and I saw with my own eyes what happened to him..."

---

For the afternoon session, I will be running "The Goblins of the Shattershtruk Hills", a D&D 3.5 adventure for 4th-level characters. To try and keep things simple, we'll be using only the core rules contained in the PHB, DMG, and MM. Just as a heads up, Fraisala will be helping me DM this one by handling many of the NPCs and their actions. Hopefully this will result in faster and smoother play.

slot 1: Dungannon
slot 2: Felix
slot 3: MarknDC
slot 4: OPEN
slot 5: OPEN
slot 6: OPEN

---

Character Generation:

Please generate your 4th-level characters in advance and email me your character sheets. You may use this thread to discuss what types of characters you wish to play and to create a back story for your party if you'd like. I'll also have some basic pre-gens ready at the gameday if needed.

Ability Scores: Standard point-buy (25 points). Don't forget an additional +1 to one ability score for attaining 4th level.

Races: Any PHB race. Some MM races are probably ok as well, but please ask first.

Classes, Skills, Feats, and Spells: PHB I only.

Equipment: Equip your character with 5,400 GP worth of gear and magic items from the PHB and DMG. No single item should be worth more than 2,700 GP. Wands may only be bought with 25 or 50 charges.

If you select one or more magic item creation feats for your character, you may spend as much of your GP toward making magic items as you wish. You may use up to 200 XP (no level penalty) for these items.

Note that 1st level starting equipment is subsumed in the 5,400 gp. All characters, no matter what class, get exactly 5,400 gp to spend.

If you would like to give your character ranks in a Craft skill in order to buy items at 1/2 or 1/3 price, please see the rules below.

[sblock=Rules for Buying Items with the Craft Skill]

Max GP value for buying an item at half price for a given character's craft bonus and item's craft DC:

Code:
                                      CRAFT DC 
    [u]      25    20    19    18    17    16    15    14    13    12    11    10[/u]
    +15  130     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
    +14   96   810     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
  C [u]+13   63   371   765     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *[/u]
  R +12    -   208   350   720     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
  A +11    -   153   196   329   675     *     *     *     *     *     *     *
  F [u]+10    -   100   144   184   308   630     *     *     *     *     *     *[/u]
  T  +9    -    73.5  94   135   172   287   585     *     *     *     *     *
     +8    -    48    69    88   126   160   266   540     *     *     *     *
  M  [u]+7    -     -    45    64.5  82   117   148   245   495     *     *     *[/u]
  O  +6    -     -     -    42    60    76   108   136   224   450     *     *
  D  +5    -     -     -     -    39    55.5  70    99   124   203   405     *
  I  [u]+4    -     -     -     -     -    36    51    64    90   112   182   360[/u]
  F  +3    -     -     -     -     -     -    33    46.5  58    81   100   161
  I  +2    -     -     -     -     -     -     -    30    42    52    72    88
  E  [u]+1    -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -    27    37.5  46    63[/u]
  R  +0    -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -    24    33    40
     -1    -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -    21    28.5
     -2    -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -     -    18

* = No GP limit, item can be purchased at 1/3 market price.
- = Cannot buy item at 1/2 price. Must pay full market price.

Step 1. Find the Craft DC of the item you wish to purchase
Step 2. Cross-reference this with your total bonus in the Craft skill required to buy the item.
Step 3. If the number listed is greater than the value of the item, you may buy the item at half price. If a * is listed, you may buy the item at 1/3 price. If a - is listed, you must pay full market price for the item.

Note that for Masterwork items, the Masterwork component is treated as a separate item to craft.

Example: Durius has 7 ranks in Craft (armormaking), 13 int (+1), a +2 racial bonus to working with metal, and masterwork artisan tools (+2). This makes the Durius's total Craft (armorsmithing) bonus +12. Durius would like to purchase a masterwork breastplate.

First he must make the breastplate component. A breastplate's Craft DC is 15 and it's market price is 200 gp. Cross-referencing +12 and DC 15 on the table gives "*", which means that Durius can craft the breastplate component for 1/3 price, or 67 gp.

Now he must make the masterwork component which has a Craft DC of 20 and a market price of 150. Cross-referencing +12 and DC 20 on the table gives 208, which means that Durius can craft the breastplate component for 1/2 price, or 75 gp, since the 208 gp is greater than the market price of 150 gp. So the total price Durius would have to pay would be 142 gp, instead of the total market price of 350 gp.

Now let's imagine Durius wanted to craft a suit of masterwork full plate armor. Full plate armor has a Craft DC of 18 and a market price of 1500 gp. Cross-referencing +12 with DC 18 on the table gives 720, which is below the market price for the armor. This means that if Durius wants the masterwork full plate armor, he will need to pay full market price (1950 gp).
[/sblock]
Alignment: No evil characters, sorry. This village has suffered enough.

Deities: For clerics and paladins, please select a deity from the PHB.

Hit Points: Max at first level, as usual, and half rounded up for the rest. So a d4 gives 3, a d6 gives 4, etc.

Last edited:

Cassander

First Post
Dungannon said:
Oooh, I think I found my afternoon game. :)

Great! I've added you in for slot 1. Let me know if you have any questions about character creation... I hope I covered all the bases in the first post.

Cassander

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
You might want to edit the description and remove the color tag. It's unreadable in with some skins.

Oo... thanks for letting me know! I forgot to check it in different skins. I've switched it to a different color which seems to work in them all now.

Felix

Explorer
I think "Open Slot #2" has my name on it. Sign me up!

EDIT:
Attached it my character rough draft. Let me know if changes need making.

Attachments

• Arnost von Kramm.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Cassander

First Post
Felix said:
I think "Open Slot #2" has my name on it. Sign me up!

EDIT:
Attached it my character rough draft. Let me know if changes need making.

Character sheet looks good. Only two issues that I see:

You seem to have forgotten to add in the masterwork bonus to your waraxe. I think the attack bonus on that should be +7: +4 BAB +3 Str +1 Weapon Focus, +1 Mwk -2 Tower Shield.

And why 5465 gp in spending? Were you adding in starting gold of 150 for fighter? I meant for that to be subsumed under the 5400 gp, so go ahead and just pull off 64 gp in equipment. Sorry for not making that clear in the beginning.

Also, I forgot to mention what to do about hit points. The normal max at first level applies, and for the three dice there after use half rounded up. So each d10 would give 6 hit points giving you a total of 40.

Cassander

First Post
Dungannon said:
Would it be considered too metagamey if I made a ranger with favored enemy: goblin? ;)

No problem. Fraisala and I wrote the intro text assuming the players would see it before character generation. Metagaming isn't an issue until after the game actually starts.

Remove ads