• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.5 to True 20 conversion

Nomad4life

First Post
Well, now that True 20 has been released as a separate system… Is anyone else out there working on a total or partial conversion for D&D 3.5? If so, lemme know- I’d love to compare notes.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Nomad4life said:
Well, now that True 20 has been released as a separate system… Is anyone else out there working on a total or partial conversion for D&D 3.5? If so, lemme know- I’d love to compare notes.

Wouldn't it be easier to have True 20 just replace D&D3.5e wholesale? The only real aspect of difference in substance between the two is the magic system. However, True 20's covers much of D&D's and is overall more streamlined. So I would say that True 20 covers much of the same ground as D&D and would need little in terms of conversion.

I have found a need to tinker with mechanics when dealing with some setting specifics (which are not contained in True 20 or D&D).

MetalBard

First Post
Seems like a monumental effort with very little in the way of returns. Like Skywalker just said, I would think most of what is in D&D 3.5 is already covered, at least thematically, in True20.

drothgery

First Post
I don't have the True20 PDF (I don't buy PDFs; I'll get the print version), and I've only skimmed my copy of Blue Rose, but it seems to me that the biggest thing you'd need would be a lot of high-powered arcana and a methodology for converting magic items; flashy, things-that-go-boom magic (which is not in any way inherrently evil) and lots of enchanted toys are definitely D&D.

Quickleaf

Legend
Right now it seems like conversion from 3.5 to True20 would be challenging for a character with a unique fighting style which relies on the tactical combat rules from 3.5 (e.g. reach, attacks of opportunities, etc). Also, converting a close replica of 3.5 magic into True20 isn't possible. Instead, you just go back to the character concept and the main spells that type of character would use. Though there are no rules for counterspelling in True20, and certain types of spells are largely absent (e.g. shapeshifting and teleportation).

Denaes

First Post
Voadam said:
How tough is it to use 3.5 monsters in a true 20 game?

There are like 4 steps... takes about 5-20 seconds a monster.

1. Seperate AC into Movement and Armour based.

2. Figure Toughness bonuse based on Hit Dice, then add in Con & Armour

3. Figure Parry & Dodge Defense

4. Convert damage to True20s.

There are notes on Damage/Hit Die conversion in the PDF.

--Edit

This may be much easier for me because I had to do near the same thing for monsters to BESM d20.

Kesh

First Post
You might also need to convert some of the monster's special abilities. It's usually not too difficult (changing Ability Damage wouldn't be too hard, for instance).

The Blue Rose Companion is due out soon, and will have more monsters & magic item creation rules, so that will be better covered. Aside from that, converting spells from various sources into Arcana is the major bit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads