• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E D&D 4e Character Builder (Made in Java)

Ferghis

First Post
It's funny that TheClone has two identical messages. Possibly even ironic.

Also, good for piratepacket for going on with his/her project despite the naysayers.

TheClone

First Post
It's funny that TheClone has two identical messages. Possibly even ironic.

Also, good for piratepacket for going on with his/her project despite the naysayers.

The two messages were double postings. But if you include me as a naysayer, I like to object. He can use whatever programming language he likes. I am just unable to support him with C++. But I'll be glad to provide feedback, other tips and ideas except coding and do some testing.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Why was the code necessary? I just did this.
Code:
int tempScore = ((strengthAdjustedValue % 2) == 0)?strengthAdjustedValue:(strengthAdjustedValue - 1);
strengthMod = (tempScore - 10) / 2;
And so on...
It's just that your first line of code is completely unnecessary. Assuming that strengthAdjustedValue is an int, you can just do:
Code:
strengthMod = (strengthAdjustedValue - 10) / 2;
or
Code:
strengthMod = strengthAdjustedValue / 2 - 5;
if you prefer.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
ahhh

I remember writing XSDs for my XML files when D&D 3.0 came out and I was still in undergrad. XML is good for data, since it's human readable and parsable by a million processors.

All you really need is a core framework that's robust and obeys the rules of character creation. You don't need to implement more than is necessary to build a sheet, i.e. it's probably too ambitious to start out writing a 4e compatible combat simulator.

Once you have your XSDs and XML files with sample, non-copyrighted data in it, then users will be free to add it into their own files, legally if they own the books (this is fair use, and perfectly legal) or D&D Insider. You will never, ever find a judge willing to fine someone for transcribing a few feats into a homebrew-compatible file format.

C++ is a much better way to go about it than Java, for the simple reason that there aren't as many Java programmers out there and if you want to punch into the game industry eventually this will give you the experience to do it.

Make your projects modular and keep UI code completely separate from character validation, file parsing, etc. So if you switch to a database or something, you can change the implementation of your data schema and loader and it just works. The core rules don't change that much, so I'd create base classes that are unit tested and have checks and so on. Perhaps think forward, one of the main things missing from the DP Insider "solution" is house rules, so having house-rule compatible stuff would be good. I.e., for the example that people gave with the mod = (ability - 10) / 2, do not force people to have characters that obey the point buy system or have only one 8 stat. Why waste your life following in their footsteps?

This is bad coding and not according to the rules. It is legal to have a 4e character (though generally not considered balanced) with rolled stats. Make a program that does what corporate twits think is not worth supporting, but end-users have been clamoring for. I hate Java. I use PCGen sometimes but man, I think the UI is as slow as it was the last time I tried it, circa 2003. Not a good sign.

With C++ core modules, you'll need a project for feats, classes, skills, rituals, and another for magic items (I would keep that separate, because that's one of the main places where people want to house rule stuff and you will want to add versatility /customization eventually), another for UI, another for loading data, and a separate one for each file format of the overall sheet. Also, a native print to PDF or even add CutePDF code directly into it if you can. PLEASE don't make a crappy, ugly UI. Get a friend who can design something snazzy to do it. Even if it's Windows Forms, WPF (which is very nice and customizable, I wrote an entire game in a month using XNA game studio wrapped inside a WPF UI. It was extremely easy to get everything up and running, and looking much nicer). Since you are in charge, you could even go C# since there are lots of business opportunities there. Or keep the UI code in C# and the core code in a C++ dll and use marshalling to get at it.

The main way to get around the kludge of copyright cease and desist is to write a few basic ones, with similar but different names than 4e core, enough for people to understand are the same, and fluff but the same crunch. Let the community help you build the datasets. Put IDs in the feat names, and generate an equivalency .txt file to map your homebrew feats and classes for the wizards equivalents. With this ID mapping, people can load their own feat names and so on into their sheets. I.e. do NOT store in the character file itself anything relating to feat names, store only IDs, so they are portable.

No way Wizards can copyright integers. Datasets can be downloaded elsewhere than your source repo.

It AMAZES me that in this day in age, we spend more time bickering about why this power is OP and that one is purple, why most magic items are terrible, instead of FIXING them. OURSELVES. Have a list of standard house rules that people can submit, such as free expertise, use only a selection of powers. I would add the ratings directly into the schema, then a UI feature could be : "don't show me less than purple rated feats or powers or items".

This will eliminate 90% of the kludge that is 4e, currently, and make character creation much, much easier. If you build your software right, eventually you'll be able to re-use components of it for a turn-based simulator that is 4e-compatible, and there isn't a g*d-damned thing they can do about it. For the added FU, I would post the code to Freenet. Screw paying lawyer fees to prove you are innocent. Don't break the law, but don't let them intimidate you with bogus legal threats either.

They can't C&D you if they don't know who you are. The only reason they caught Bradley Manning and tortured him for years is because he confessed to a scumbad at wired magazine who told him he was an ordained priest and a journalist and he was under confidentiality. Come on people, be smart. Don't bend over for the machine to get you. They will. Do you really want to get bankrupted for a hobby project? How much can you afford for lawyers? The entire legal system is corrupt, you have supreme court judges owning stock in companies they are judging. The stink goes from the top to the bottom. Don't let a simple character generator project make you lose any sleep or money. It should be fun. To keep it that way, keep it anonymous. Post it to torrent sites, whatever.

Do NOT associate your real name, under any circumstances, except possibly on a job interview for a dream job. It amazes me how many smart people I've met are complete doormats when it comes to standing up for their rights to be free of intimidation. Anonymity unfortunately, is the only free way to achieve that, currently.

Last edited:

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
This will eliminate 90% of the kludge that is 4e, currently, and make character creation much, much easier. If you build your software right, eventually you'll be able to re-use components of it for a turn-based simulator that is 4e-compatible, and there isn't a g*d-damned thing they can do about it. For the added FU, I would post the code to Freenet. Screw paying lawyer fees to prove you are innocent. Don't break the law, but don't let them intimidate you with bogus legal threats either.

They can't C&D you if they don't know who you are. The only reason they caught Bradley Manning and tortured him for years is because he confessed to a scumbad at wired magazine who told him he was an ordained priest and a journalist and he was under confidentiality. Come on people, be smart. Don't bend over for the machine to get you. They will. Do you really want to get bankrupted for a hobby project? How much can you afford for lawyers? The entire legal system is corrupt, you have supreme court judges owning stock in companies they are judging. The stink goes from the top to the bottom. Don't let a simple character generator project make you lose any sleep or money. It should be fun. To keep it that way, keep it anonymous. Post it to torrent sites, whatever.

Do NOT associate your real name, under any circumstances, except possibly on a job interview for a dream job. It amazes me how many smart people I've met are complete doormats when it comes to standing up for their rights to be free of intimidation. Anonymity unfortunately, is the only free way to achieve that, currently.

Wow... just... wow. Not even an "IANAL" to preface such horrible advice.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
why exactly?

Do you think people should live in fear of frivolous lawsuits? Or is that "freedom" just reserved for corporations.

But I guess it's easier to argue on the internetz when all you put forth are cheap one-liners

Last edited:

Doombybbr

First Post
well the character builder shouldn't need a dnd insider subscription anyway, it would much nicer if the thing only cost a little bit but was seperate from the subscription, however you have to input a code specific to each book to activate it.

Corso

First Post
I was sad to see a post on the previous page that you moved the builder to C++. I just finished Java level I & II through school and scored very high and thought this would be an awesome project to help with! How is the progress on this coming along anyways?

packetpirate

First Post
I was sad to see a post on the previous page that you moved the builder to C++. I just finished Java level I & II through school and scored very high and thought this would be an awesome project to help with! How is the progress on this coming along anyways?

Abandoned it a long time ago. Also, it's likely I would have gone back to Java... C++ sucks. I might resume progress on it some day, but not any time soon. Working on a game and several other projects now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads