D&D 4E D&D 4E Character Sheet for iPad - Sneak Xmas Preview!

EvilBeeker

Explorer
will you be able to rotate the screen or is it static?

Currently no. We've discussed this, and need to do some testing. Since the end result is to produce this product on three different OS platforms, this would only apply to the iPad at this time and we're not sure if the extra coding is worth the effort.

Frankly, I'm of the mind that it looks better when it resembles an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, but that's just me. :cool:

Thanks for the question!

falcarrion

First Post
The reason I ask is that it would be nice to have it in 8 1/2 by 11 with the home button at the top or bottom. This way you could attach the usb adapter at the top which it makes it easier to plug in an usb keyboard. Most of the stands for the ipad are not made to have the attachment plugged in the bottom and still be used. The only way to use the attachment is turn the Ipad. since we would have to type in the info, having a full keyboard makes it a heck of alot easier to use.

StuartW

First Post
The underlying character data is stored in xml format, and we use XSLT to convert it to HTML. Additional XSLT conversons could be used to export in a different format. The character data is not directly compatible with WotC's Character Builder (that format it too verbose).

[MENTION=4023]falcarrion[/MENTION]: I'll get back to you on the rotation question ;)

EvilBeeker

Explorer
The underlying character data is stored in xml format, and we use XSLT to convert it to HTML. Additional XSLT conversons could be used to export in a different format. The character data is not directly compatible with WotC's Character Builder (that format it too verbose).

[MENTION=4023]falcarrion[/MENTION]: I'll get back to you on the rotation question ;)

FYI for all questions, Stuart is my code monkey for this project. :D

Approximately how much is this going to cost to download? And you guys said you were working on other kinds of character sheets for other game systems, which brings me to my next question: Are you going to try to get a character sheet together for the Savage Worlds system?

EvilBeeker

Explorer
Approximately how much is this going to cost to download? And you guys said you were working on other kinds of character sheets for other game systems, which brings me to my next question: Are you going to try to get a character sheet together for the Savage Worlds system?

Hi Traveon,

The price of the product is still in discussion, but I will say it will be under the $9.99 Apple price level.

As for Savage Worlds ... yes! Shane signed off on this idea at Gen Con. Once the 4E sheet is launched and other things are rolling, SW will follow soon after. I would like to say Q1 of 2011, but it might spill into Q2 depending on how things go.

Thanks for the questions! :cool:

Fast Learner

First Post
I've got to say, anything close to $9.99 sounds very high for an app with such limited functionality. Don't get me wrong, I'm an iOS developer and have both iPhone and iPad apps in the store, and prices for apps are generally unbelievably low, and I certainly want other developers to do well. I understand too that functionality is tightly limited by WOTC.

Still, it seems to attractively display some fairly basic XML data that you have to manually enter and... that's about it, right? You can email the data you entered. What else?

EvilBeeker

Explorer
I've got to say, anything close to $9.99 sounds very high for an app with such limited functionality. Don't get me wrong, I'm an iOS developer and have both iPhone and iPad apps in the store, and prices for apps are generally unbelievably low, and I certainly want other developers to do well. I understand too that functionality is tightly limited by WOTC.

Still, it seems to attractively display some fairly basic XML data that you have to manually enter and... that's about it, right? You can email the data you entered. What else?

Fast,

I did say "under $9.99" right? :p

In all likelyhood it'll be half that or less. I threw the under 9.99 tag out there because that is the average price for an iPad app today based on recent trends and marketing data provided by Apple.

Right now it is a question based on if we want to charge for an all-in-one product w/free upgrades/add-ons, or a base price-point product (with a lower sale price) and then a small charge for optional add-ons and additional functionality. Some of this is based on what we can or can't do with the code. More than likely it'll be the former rather than latter.

As for "what else", we do have plans beyond v1 to include things like the new Airprint functionality, export to PDF, and potentially other D&D "tools" you would use during a game. I don't really want to commit to anything beyond that at this time w/o promising something that is not yet in development. We will eventually have a build for this for native MAC and Windows, once a secure venue is available and other technical issues are resolved.

The intent of v1 of our iCharacter Sheet Brand is to give the gamer a mobile electronic character sheet like they would have at the gaming table, while at the same time staying within the confines of the OGL and GSL. While it might now seem like a lot, all of that in itself was a monumental task. :D

Additionally, I've also been informed by Morris that our HTML output (of which I sent him a copy) potentially is a perfect match for his upcoming campaign manager, so we'll be working with him to make sure our product/output is in sync to his needs.

I hope that's enough for you right now Fast. As a developer yourself I'm sure you know that Rome cannot be built in a day, and if you rush the construction of the aqueduct you might end up in a pile of 5h#t in your lap. :cool:

Thanks for the questions!

Remove ads