D&D 4e Narrative books on Nentir Vale?

Nobby Nobbs

Explorer
Hello everyone,

I'd like suggestions from whoever may have read anything about Nentir Vale in a narrative book, the same way you may have explored the Forgotten Realms by reading about Drizzt.
There is lore material out there, I'm aware, but I'm unsure if there is any book worth reading with a decent story and a nice "painting" of the setting.
I'm quite a reader of fantasy novellas, but only recently I'm trying to go back to the 4th edition Nentir Vale and would like inputs on which books are good and which are not-so-good-really-skip-these.

Thanks in advance!

Voadam

Legend
It is tough as so much is scattered in little bits and pieces here and there. There was not a single campaign setting book but there is a netbook if you can find it collecting and referencing all the bits and pieces of lore so it is all in one place instead of scattered multiple sources. A lot was done in individual Dragon articles.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There were a few novels set in the Nentir Vale. The first five entries of the Abyssal Plague series were set in Nentir Vale. I haven't read any of them so can't make a rec either way. I'm not sure if there were other Nentir Vale novels.

Nobby Nobbs

Explorer
There were a few novels set in the Nentir Vale. The first five entries of the Abyssal Plague series were set in Nentir Vale. I haven't read any of them so can't make a rec either way. I'm not sure if there were other Nentir Vale novels.

Exactly what I was looking for. I ordered one, hope it's good. Thank you!

Huh, I missed those novels completely when they were new. Not that I'm generally a big D&D fiction reader*, but for Nentir Vale I'd give it try. Off to order my own copy.

*As opposed to other TSR fiction, which I've got plenty of from Illegal Aliens (Foglio & Pollotta, and hilarious) to the Buck Rogers XXVC books (which were surprisingly okay for the most part) to Alternity (which were mostly not) to their Gamma World adventure books (more Nick Pollotta) to the Dragon Dice books (another case of surprisingly okay). Their lesser-known oddball stuff seems to have been my jam back in the day.

Nakana

Villager
Also wanted to point out that as for gaming material goes Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale has a lot of great stuff. It’s part monster manual, but the description for each monster is not just about the monster (like the Monster Manual), it’s Nentir Vale lore.

kronovan

Adventurer
I've read the Abysal Plague Trilogy and I'd recommend it to anyone who looking for a story that delves into and develops some of the lore of the Nentir Vale. The 1st (The Temple of Yellow Skulls) and 3rd (The Eye of the Chained God) novels are written by Don Bassingthwaite who's my favorite D&D author - same author that wrote the Dragon Below and Legacy of Dhakaan trilogies set in Eberron. The 2nd (Oath of Vigilance) novel in the series is written by James Wyatt - known for his work on the Eberron Campaign setting and the terrific novel, City of the Spider Queen.

I re-read parts of the trilogy when I was homebrewing my last Nentir Vale campaign. There's lots of good locations and events to draw some inspiration from.

Remove ads