D&D 4th Edition & Dead Space (or survival horror in 4E) is it possible?

MadMaxim

First Post
Let's face it: Dead Space, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, all of these games would be much less scary and tense if would play a character with the powers to teleport, throw fireballs or always have rocket launchers and machine guns with you, instead of a simple gun or just a tool to get over the zombie hordes.
Sorry, I haven't commented on all your great suggestions, but I've been unable to get here due to the recent overload. I've been thinking the same thing, Rhuarc, but I'll say that I'll be plenty happy if I can make the tension work on a tactical level in combat such as with the undead draining the party of their healing surges. I'm not trying to take away the players' hero status, but I'll just describe the scenes in gruesome details (within limits, of course) with the game mechanics serving as the more "tangible" tension. The suggestion from LostSoul about the entrance being blocked once the heroes get in will also put some pressure on them knowing that they cannot get out the same way they got in :)

1) zombie minions everywhere... really everywhere...

2) fast mean monsters which seperate people from there group and which can disable you in a way that only a teammate can help you

3) Monsters which attract minions

4) elites or solos, that attack everything, minions and players alike...

5) supposed minions which suddenly turn into an enemy...

The most important thing is to creat atmosphere and the feeling that an extended rest is not possible, because a minion will feast on your leg or something...

maybe an extended only for one or two chars at a time, because the others are busy fending of waves of minions...

short rests should be possible, but the should never be taken for granted... (waves)

At the end of the day they should have to judge fast if someone/thing they face is friendly, unfriendly or just a minor annoyance...

and every sound should make them extra careful

Remove ads