• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4th Edition, H Series, Online Game

Eryiedes

First Post
We are very much in the same boat, sir.
I was mostly D&D basic (the set that came in a blue box?) and stayed till about 2e...then drifted into other systems.
Actually it was D20 star wars saga edition that brought me "back to the darkside" with 4e D&D.

Promises to be fun.

(Thank the Gods we FINALLY have a cleric....was getting nervous there for a second!)

We are going to try and have a pow-wow tommorrow or/and the day after around the PM 9ish in this thread...talk stuff out real time...much easier.

Peace & Light (and "Who can salute leather without saluting PUERTO RICO!!!".....I listen to far too much Zappa, it's so sad!)

Last edited:

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
On TR....very nice, keys off of as "Primal"?

Tyrants Rage is from the Primal Power source book.

Regarding the baseline starting hp, here is what I see in the Character Generator app

Human Warlord, 11 con (NPC) 23 hp == 12 + Constitution score
Goliath Paladin 16 con, (Fusion Cell) 31 hp == 15 + Constitution score
Eladrin Rogue, 14 con, (Thedeathndecay) 26 hp == 12 + Constitution score
Deva Cleric, 12 con, (ftr), 26 HP == 12 + Constitution score

Eryiedes, I am pretty sure you have misread how the HP are generated. How are you convinced that a the characters have the wrong HP values? 1st level HP are a base value + Con score, not Con modifier.

END COMMUNICATION

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Thank the Gods we FINALLY have a cleric....was getting nervous there for a second!

Actually, as long as we have any leader class, we have healing. The Warlord would be fine by its self. This party will be quite durable, I think.

My Barbarian can add a small amount of temp HP.
Warlord Inspiring word is good for 2 healing surges per encounter.
Cleric's Healing word is also good for 2 healing surges per encounter.
Paladins Lay on Hands is good for 1 extra healing surge per encounter due to +1 Wis modifier. (though it uses a surge from the paladin).

On top of that every character has 2nd Wind once per encounter. We should be more than fine.

The party mix of 2 Leaders, 2 Strikers, and 1 Defender should do just fine. The lack of a Controller is not too hard to work around in my experience.

END COMMUNICATION

Eryiedes

First Post
Tyrants Rage is from the Primal Power source book.

Regarding the baseline starting hp, here is what I see in the Character Generator app

Human Warlord, 11 con (NPC) 23 hp == 12 + Constitution score
Goliath Paladin 16 con, (Fusion Cell) 31 hp == 15 + Constitution score
Eladrin Rogue, 14 con, (Thedeathndecay) 26 hp == 12 + Constitution score
Deva Cleric, 12 con, (ftr), 26 HP == 12 + Constitution score

Eryiedes, I am pretty sure you have misread how the HP are generated. How are you convinced that a the characters have the wrong HP values? 1st level HP are a base value + Con score, not Con modifier.

END COMMUNICATION

You are correct....Con SCORE....my bad....Saga Edition D20 was my last jag....that's where the faulty wire lies!
Nearly identical system with a different mechanic nuance....woulda probably seen it sooner but sleeping pattern is fubar.
I feel like a noob.
Sorry for the "chicken little" routine.

Move along people...nothing to see here.....=)

Peace & Light (and need snoozies soon)

Eryiedes

First Post
Actually, as long as we have any leader class, we have healing. The Warlord would be fine by its self. This party will be quite durable, I think.

My Barbarian can add a small amount of temp HP.
Warlord Inspiring word is good for 2 healing surges per encounter.
Cleric's Healing word is also good for 2 healing surges per encounter.
Paladins Lay on Hands is good for 1 extra healing surge per encounter due to +1 Wis modifier. (though it uses a surge from the paladin).

On top of that every character has 2nd Wind once per encounter. We should be more than fine.

The party mix of 2 Leaders, 2 Strikers, and 1 Defender should do just fine. The lack of a Controller is not too hard to work around in my experience.

END COMMUNICATION

Very true on all fronts.

We even have a 5th player undecided so thats 6 with 1 npc....may not seem to important now but 6 characters by the time the G's happen's will be a godsend....ESPECIALLY if we have a lotta healers....we will eventually REALLY need 'em once giants become common opponents....it's gonna get scary!
I could always replace the Warlord with a Wizard or Warlock.....still not too late.
The NPC should be tailored to fill in what's lacking.
(But hey, I also thought I was smarter than a 'puter for a second there too!)
I think I will post "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" tommorrow once I wake up.

Peace & Light

Last edited:

FusionCell

First Post
Revised Character thingy:

Name: Gorshak
Race: Goliath
Class: Paladin
Alignment: Good
Diety: Kord
Height: 8'2"
Weight: 338 lb. /154 kg
Background: Birth - Omen

Stats:
STR 17; CON 16; DEX 10; INT 9; WIS 12; CHA 15
AC:20 Fort:14 Reflex:13 Will:14
HP:31 Surges:13 Surge Value:7
Basic Attack +5

Trained Skills:
Religion +4, Intimidate +7, Endurance +4, History +4

Feats:
Level 1: Power Attack

At-will Powers:
Divine Challenge (class)
Lay on Hands (class)
Valiant Strike
Bolstering Strike

Encounter Powers:
Stone's Endurance (racial)
Divine Mettle (class)
Divine Strength (class)
Shielding Smite
+Second Wind

Daily Powers:
Paladin's Judgment

Items:
Khopesh, Heavy Shield, Plate Armor, Candle, Adventurer's Kit, Holy Symbol, Horn

Background:
Gorshak was born under the sign of Kord, with a birthmark noless, on the eve of a great battle between a union of five Goliath Tribes and a marauding horde of Orcs. The tribes were decimated and the horde moved on. By chance, the stragglers behind the Orcs who went through the Goliaths' ruins were fell upon by a band of adventurers, including one Douven Staul. As the adventurers turned to leave, they heard a childs cry. Quickly searching the wreckage they found a baby. After a brief heated argument, taking account of the mark, they took the baby to the nearest temple of Kord.
There the child was raised from birth to be a warrior of their God.
[scene missing]
On his twentieth birthday, Douven Staul returned to the temple to see Gorshak. He told the boy of his history, his family and gave him some gifts and mementos of the Goliath tribe he hailed from.
(wrap it up: sense of purpose, etc etc, months later led soldiers and paladins into mountains to find horde, horde had long since dispersed. roamed mountains alone hunting orcs, helping villagers. returned years later to temple, started teaching righteous fighting)
When the party of adventurers or single recruiter arrive, whichever gets Gorshak in, either the recruiters asked the temple for a soldier and they suggested the goliath or he was asked directly and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Got a little carried away there...

Character:
Good and violent, always fighting for the little man. Often misses the big picture amidst all the fighting. Goodnatured, steadfast, trustworthy and trusting. An intimidating figure to his enemies and a bastion of hope to his allies, think about it, his shield alone is more than the size of a man. What better place to stand behind.

Phew. Also, 9pm eastern time? That'd be 2am here. Ah, Britain.
Also also, what a mismatched band of madmen, i pity the poor fellow gathering and leading these people.

Last edited:

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
WOW - this thread has exploded :)

OK guys - sorry for not checking this thread for half a day, and now feeling like I am WAY behind on the character decision making...

I will work in ernest on it tonight. Since we now have a cleric, I think I'm heading down the route of Fighter or something from the PHB III (which will arrive at my home today or tomorrow!).

I'll post character, background, etc hopefully tonight!

I'm excited for the game!

Eryiedes - I never received an email from you. My email address is:

rtaylor1976 (at) ymail (dot) com

Thanks,

Taren Nighteyes

Eryiedes

First Post
Phew. Also, 9pm eastern time? That'd be 2am here. Ah, Britain.
Also also, what a mismatched band of madmen, i pity the poor fellow gathering and leading these people.

Awesome job!

Sorry about the time difference.....that was one of those sorta issues I wanted to try and work out....since I picked a bad time I will try and restructure things.
You can post times and days in thread at any time with any other relevant concerns you may have or wish addressed.
I will try and work things out with other players...also....I am a bit of a night owl but for simplicities sake, we will schedule game times at a hour more appropriate to your location.....I will discuss this with them at the earliest possible convenience if they have not already seen this post.

Thank You for the FYI on your location.

Peace & Light (and jet lag)

Thedeathndecay

First Post
Glad to see this thread is shaping up. I do not have access to the ph2, I have a set of quick start rules and that's about all until my starter set thing arrives. If that is not enough to play than I apologize and would gladly get out of the way hehe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads