D&D 5E D&D 5E’s Top-Selling Adventures and What It Means for the Hobby from Teos Abadia aka Alphastream.

Reynard

Legend
Nope, not a bit! This is our moat complete data, but all it gives is some relatice comparisons and minimum floors for what these books sell.
I would think that we can at least assume similar ratios. That is, there's probably no reason to believe that people that buy books at FLGS or on Beyond do so in dramatically different relative numbers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would think that we can at least assume similar ratios. That is, there's probably no reason to believe that people that buy books at FLGS or on Beyond do so in dramatically different relative numbers.
Well, for one example from the article, Teos was surprised at the sales for the official Criticsl Role Setting and Adventure products. However, it would not surprise me at all if Critical Role having commercials for D&D Beyond all the time meant that a higher proportion bought Explorer's Guide to Wildemount and Call of the Netherdeep on Beyond in highet relative numbers compared to Hoard of the Dragon Queen...which was in print years before being available on Beyond.

I don't think we have enough data to be sure the relative sales are the same between Bookscan, FLGS and Beyond. I mean, I would assume in aggregate that Curse of Strah has probably outsold Princes of the Apocalypse, but I don't think we have the data to make certain extrapolations.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Oh please note that Amazon is known for not always reporting numbers to bookscan or being haphazard about it. No idea how or in what way. But it’s possible that if Amazon numbers are in these it’s some fraction.

Marc Radle

Legend
An interesting observation ... two of the top 5 best-selling WotC adventure books were collaborations with Kobold Press or Kobold Press's designers (Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Saltmarsh).

If you're a fan of either of these adventures, be sure to check out some of Kobold Press's other adventures!

If you like Saltmarsh, check out Scarlet Citadel (written by one of the Saltmarsh designers), or check out City of Cats or Tales of the Old Margreve, both are similar, self-contained books with a city/small setting, accompanying adventures, and everything you need to run those adventures all in one book. If you like Hoard of the Dragon Queen or want a longer campaign, check out Empire of the Ghouls, a level 1-13 adventure that takes the heroes across the world, chasing ghoulish enemies who want to bring darkness and death to the living.

If you're intrigued by Kobold Press's adventures but don't want to dive in completely, check out the Kobold Press adventure search tool (Search Kobold Adventures) to find the perfect short-form (one to three sessions) adventure for your game, many of which can be purchased as $3.99 PDFs or in short adventure anthology books similar to the Yawning Portal.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
The freaking cookbook outsold the 3.5 PHB. That's bonkers to me, and I own both!
I can personally attest, having worked at a gaming/comics stores at Xmastime, that you cannot keep cookbooks and artbooks in stock enough. We sold Firefly, Tomb Raider, Disney and other licensed books of the sort (including the Cthulhu bartending guide) like hotcakes as gifts from both clueless family members who didn't know what to get their geeky family member for the holidays, and from clued-in nerds who wanted to buy a group gift for their GM (with get the added benefit of someone cooking some of it for the next gaming session). It's the ultimate Xover gift and they all look great on an endcap by the register. If you're a retailer, it's gold.

Remove ads