D&D 5E D&D 5E’s Top-Selling Adventures and What It Means for the Hobby from Teos Abadia aka Alphastream.

Reynard

Legend
I wish there was some way to split Spelljammer the campaign setting data from the Light or Xarysis adventure to see how the adventure portion was received.

Though it is still a shock how well Spelljammer itself sold, despite how thin its content was.🤷‍♂️
Not that WotC would likely release this info, but people can buy the adventure separately on D&DB, right? If so, at least WotC would know if there seems to be a significant difference betwen interest in teh adventure and the setting info or just the monsters.

The fact that they did not change plans for Planescape suggests they are happy with how the format has worked out with Spelljammer, or perhaps just willing to give it another shot.

darjr

I crit!
If the numbers WotC has put out there are anything liek reality, it doesn't look like the majority of 5E players buy anything at all. The lifetime sales of the 2014 PHB are nowhere near the "13.7 million" players that is claimed, even if you double it for FLGS sales.

It makes you wonder where WotC's stupidly high revenue is coming from. Are there that many paying subscribers to D&DB?
The current rumor, and I stress rumor, is that DnDBeyond makes more than the print books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the numbers WotC has put out there are anything liek reality, it doesn't look like the majority of 5E players buy anything at all. The lifetime sales of the 2014 PHB are nowhere near the "13.7 million" players that is claimed, even if you double it for FLGS sales.

It makes you wonder where WotC's stupidly high revenue is coming from. Are there that many paying subscribers to D&DB?
Not subscriptions, bit they do have 1e million active Beyond accounts. And, Beyond sales of these books and digital physical bundles, like FLGS sales, aren't included in these numbers.

pukunui

Legend
Not that WotC would likely release this info, but people can buy the adventure separately on D&DB, right?
I don't think so. You can buy individual items (races, monsters, subclasses, magic items, spells, backgrounds, etc) piecemeal, but otherwise Spelljammer is sold as a single product consisting of three parts, and it doesn't look like you can buy those parts individually.

mamba

Legend
The current rumor, and I stress rumor, is that DnDBeyond makes more than the print books.
That might not take all that much.... for one they have no print costs, and then you have subscribers, so even at a quarter of the sales you probably make about as much profit

Remove ads