D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Pirates of the Spheres: Captain's Privilege (Recruiting)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hee hee!

Hilariously, that is -exactly- what I had in mind. :)

If there is a tech-savvy person on the crew, perhaps that person fixed me up and restored my functions.

Well, I think [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION] 's character fits the bill: a rock gnome wizard/engineer ;-)

SG

Shayuri

First Post
Indeed. And most excellent. Since I'm planning on making my character a big fella...the size difference ought to be fairly comical. :)

My traitorous brain is envisioning a kind of Tick/Arthur vibe.

"Come, chum! Sit on my shoulder and I shall bear you into BATTLE! None shall dare stand against the four-armed, two-headed, nine-foot tall engine of doom that is I with my trusty shouldermage attached!"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Indeed. And most excellent. Since I'm planning on making my character a big fella...the size difference ought to be fairly comical. :)

"Come, chum! Sit on my shoulder and I shall bear you into BATTLE! None shall dare stand against the four-armed, two-headed, nine-foot tall engine of doom that is I with my trusty shouldermage attached!"

He could be your techno-magic weaponry. Nothing like a gnome-cannon to take care of enemies ;-)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Much grooviness has ensued recently I see. :)

I'll be going over characters more in-depth this weekend. The length of time this group has been together is up to you guys for the most part. You're only level 3, however, so actual adventuring hijinks have only taken place over the last 3 to 6 months or so.

So, here's a proposal on how we all met and got a ship of our own. About 6 months ago, most of our characters happened to be at a trading/smuggler's outpost, doing our own respective thing. My character was already part of a pirate/smuggler's ship, and could have known some of yours (like your gnome, [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]). The outpost was attacked and destroyed by the empire/empire backed forces/another power maneuvering for control of the area (perhaps they were hunting one of the last living relatives of the dragonslayers to get a bounty?). Most ships were destroyed, and many lives were lost. Our characters, a rag-tag group of travelers, managed to flee the outpost, jumping aboard a decrepit albeit functional vessel. The fact it was small was instrumental in avoiding detection then, and still is now. A few weeks after fleeing the outpost, while exploring a very ancient wrecked vessel the group accidentally stumbled upon while trying to hide from Imperial ships (it is likely that the captain of the wrecked ship was also trying to hide), we came about a living construct that had been stuck in orbit around the ship for gods know how long. The thing was weak, but the gnome engineer was able to revive it. We have been traveling together since, and have been involved in a few combats/skirmishes, and a lot of cooperation in navigating the and maintaining the ship.

Or something like this...
The goal for for the group to be close, loyal and tight-knit. What do you think?
Cheers,

SG

Skarsgard

Explorer
So, here's a proposal on how we all met and got a ship of our own. About 6 months ago, most of our characters happened to be at a trading/smuggler's outpost, doing our own respective thing. My character was already part of a pirate/smuggler's ship, and could have known some of yours (like your gnome, [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]). The outpost was attacked and destroyed by the empire/empire backed forces/another power maneuvering for control of the area (perhaps they were hunting one of the last living relatives of the dragonslayers to get a bounty?). Most ships were destroyed, and many lives were lost. Our characters, a rag-tag group of travelers, managed to flee the outpost, jumping aboard a decrepit albeit functional vessel. The fact it was small was instrumental in avoiding detection then, and still is now. A few weeks after fleeing the outpost, while exploring a very ancient wrecked vessel the group accidentally stumbled upon while trying to hide from Imperial ships (it is likely that the captain of the wrecked ship was also trying to hide), we came about a living construct that had been stuck in orbit around the ship for gods know how long. The thing was weak, but the gnome engineer was able to revive it. We have been traveling together since, and have been involved in a few combats/skirmishes, and a lot of cooperation in navigating the and maintaining the ship.

The goal for for the group to be close, loyal and tight-knit. What do you think?
Cheers,

SG

This certainly works for me, good idea Steve

Skarsgard

Explorer

Yes, yes I see the potential but you didn't go far enough. We need to find a way to mount the ships ballista to your back as well. :)

THEN we will be a force to be reckoned with!

Leif

Adventurer
Hey, SG, thanks for reminding me to choose a druid circle! I did go with the Circle of the Moon, since it seemed to fit better with this game than the Circle of the Land.

Leif

Adventurer

Cheers,

SG

I *LIKE* it! Count Larken in! (Oooh, gives me an idea - Count Larken - an Elf Vampire Druid. Something to work towards)

[sblock=Larken, Wood Elf Druid (fleshed out a bit more)]
Larken, Wood Elf Druid L3 -- Environmental, Healing Officer / Ship's Doctor
Druid Circle: Circle of the Moon

15 W elf (wood) +1 = 16 +3
14 D elf (wood) +2 = 16 +3
13 C +1
12 Ch +1
10 I -
8 S -1

Ability Scores (arranged)
S 8 (-1)
D 16 (+3)
C 13 (+1)
I 10 (-)
W 16 (+3)
C 12 (+1)

HP: 9+6+6 =21

wood elves are proficient with longsword, short sword, short bow, longbow, walking speed 35', mask of the wild.
druids are proicient with: light armor, medium armor, shields, club, dagger, dart, javelin, mace, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, sling, spear.
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Saving Throws: Int, Wis
Skills: Perception, Survival

Carries a quarterstaff, upon which he casts shillelagh at the beginning of combat (casting time - 1 bonus action, d8 damage, uses spellcasting ability modifier (+3) for attacks and damage).

MAGIC ITEM (uncommon): Cloak of Protection (+1)
Leather armor [AC = 11+3(dex)+1(cloak)=15]

Spell Save DC: 8+2+3 = 13
Spell Attack Modifier: 2+3= +5

SPELLS [Slots: L1: 4, L2: 2]
Cantrips known: Druidcraft, Shillelagh
Spells Prepared: Cure Wounds (1d8 per level+3), Healing Word (1d4 per level+3), Speak With Animals, Thunderwave (15' cube originating from Larken, 2d8+1d8 per level above 1st+3) damage, save for half), Lesser Restoration, Protection from Poison

Background/Personmality
Larken was raised as a typical elf, with all the usual elvish reverence for nature and the natural world. He channeled this into his druidic studies and did very well. His greatest interest and fascination was with he sky and stars, which led him to journey between worlds as soon as he could. His long service in space has given him a broader outlook than many druids, but it has also made him long for simpler times before he became aware of other worlds. Things were so much simpler then! If only he could go back....
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'm going to be away from my computer most of tomorrow (at work) and a lot of the weekend (last serious hiking of the season, likely). I'll try to finalize and flesh out a concept by Monday.

so far, still looking at these:
1. Mountain dwarf; Fighter (+Ranger and/or Rogue); Background is a mix of Soldier and Criminal; Raised in an asteroid mining colony (like many dwarves), fell in with criminal element (smugglers, mostly), conscripted and discharged from Imperial Marines; Rigger/Cargomaster, mostly melee.
2. High elf; Lore bard/Diviner wizard; Sage (astronomer); bred to serve the dragons, Academy-trained and Imperial Navy, discharged for reasons unknown to the world at large (possibly politics between 'houses'); very precise and technical; primary navigator, back-up helmsman, probably also quartermaster/bookkeeper/record-keeper
3. Half-elf; Lore bard (+possibly draconic sorceror); diplomat and skill-focused.

>I'm guessing Arcana will be in play for lots of space/ship tasks. Since 5e is kind of light on skills, would History cover Imperial organization? Would Nature (or some variant) cover space exploration/knowledge?

Remove ads