D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape - In Through the Out Door

Shayuri

First Post
Shard looked at Oz skeptically, then shook her head.

"It sounded to me like he was saying this creature wasn't constructed at all. Rather, it's a...projection of a sort. A sort of angel or demon, but of law instead of good or evil. And that such creatures are all connected to a single mind that calls itself Primus, and it will feel the loss of this, and come looking for it."

She shrugged. "And that it has no feelings. Which appears to be false."

Hesitantly, Shard put a hand out onto 'Rusty' and frowned in concentration. The jewel in her forehead shimmered slightly and a soft, pale glow suffased her skin, passing into the 'modron' as she attempted to restore the creature to its undamaged state.

(OOC - trying a Mending cantrip, and if that doesn't work she'll segue right into a 1st level Cure Wounds, just to see if it works. If you take the CW, the heal roll is [roll0])

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Lili hovers over Shard's shoulder and watches her and the creature curiously. "Do you know how you got hurt Rusty?" She had a lot of questions for the Duskman once this was finished. He seemed to know what was going on in the place and that the creature did not know anything at all.

"Well, we can not just leave the poor toy here all alone in the trash heap! I mean, it can talk and move, oh Ozzy can we keep it? Please? PLEASEEEE!!" She gives him a big toothy grin from where she is.

Last edited:

[section]The effigy blew past Shard, over to the midden heap. It picked up a bit of sodden fleece from inside a castoff coat lining and spun the fleece round and round, much like the copper urn it cherry picked from Eurid. The fleece spun itself, as if by magic, into a twin of Rusty, which then settled dead in the middle of the circle of berks.[/section]
[sblock=Minor Illusion]Picayune casts minor illusion. He spins the bit of fleece into a replica of Rusty. I'm not sure how tall or wide Rusty is; Picayune's illusion is good only up to a 5' cube. He'll scale the spell as best he can to create a twin. If a creature uses its action to examine the image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) DC 12. If [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] thinks Picayune is "Performing," then the Inteligence (Investigation) DC is 14. A successful Investigation check doesn't dispel the illusion, just makes it fainter.[/sblock]

Last edited:

[section]Silently cackling with glee, the effigy turned his back on the replica of Rusty and ghosted over to Shard and whispered in her ear.[/section]
[sblock=Message]Picayune casts message, directing the spell at Shard. He forms a thought that blossoms inside her mind: "Time to go, lady. Guards is comin'."[/sblock]

Unsung

First Post
OOC: @goatunit I think most of what you think you know about modrons is probably accurate. So far, at least. :D
[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] I do think this could count as performing, but I'm not sure it should count as performing for Picayune, just yet-- it seems a little bit outside of his skillset in life, from what I know of it. I'm willing to be convinced, however. With practice, it's definitely the kind of thing that could *become* a Performance check. So what say you? Does Picayune have that experience?

Unsung

First Post
The faint ringing of metal echoes along the streets. Perhaps a large-scale brawl breaking out somewhere in the Hive or Lower Ward? It wouldn't be the first of the day.

The collectors watch Eurid go, jaws dropped in shock. These are men some of whom have even been turned away from the soup kitchens of the Bleak Cabal.

Halo, however, merely kicks at the floor and tugs down his hood. "Hmmmph, yes... Well, a pleasure doing business, as always, Dustman."

Congregating in another alley, the sounds of Sigil are slightly muffled.

A little further up the alley, a lone set of windows opens suddenly. A large, busty woman with dark brown skin and hair the colour and luster of a green ocean by moonlight leans out, and starts pinning a number of brightly-coloured garments out on a creaky metal wire. She takes no apparent notice of the party below.

OOC: Dear God, did you just invite me to make an argument, [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION]?!

Three reasons why it might possibly be considered performance include: 1) the OOC discussion you and I and Fenris had in February in this thread about the in-game mechanics of Persuasion versus Performance; 2) Picayune very nearly had prestidigitation for a cantrip but I ended up giving him minor illusion instead, and his intent and application of minor image are consistent with the performative aspects of prestidigitation; and 3) Pic is playing with the group, ribbing them, messing with their heads. He's been ribbing them since the game's inception. Does this merit applying Pic's Expertise in Performance to his current casting of minor image? I put it at 50-50 odds.

Unsung

First Post
OOC: Well, the gist of what I took away from that discussion about Performance was that Performance applied to any art or instrument in which you were proficient. Is Picayune proficient in crafting visual illusions? The short answer is yes, given that it's a cantrip he knows. But is having this power the same as his ability to play an instrument? As far as he knows, he's only been around as an effigy a fairly short time. Is the time he's sent fooling around with the party enough time to gain that proficiency?

...but that's really just me being pedantic. I think by the rules we've established up to this point you're justified in applying your expertise in this case, based on what you're trying to and the way you're doing it. Go ahead and add it. :)

Remove ads