• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

Forged Fury

First Post
Janelle shooed away a child who was getting too close to the cart. "We've got a basic system set up. Some of the folks come here to get food to take back to their home to cook. I prepare the remainder of the food and we setup a serving line for everyone who can't make their own supper. We set aside a few portions for people who are busy and can't do either, like Vials and Lawkeeper Greycastle, and deliver it to them once the serving is done."

The young boy who had told Brue and Greycastle about the fight at the inn came outside and started separating the food stores. A murmur rose from the crowd, although everything was currently peaceful. The line snaked from the tavern around the large well at the center of the crossroads.

OOC: Unless Brue has other plans, the food distribution will take a few hours. By the time it is complete, it will be around 9PM. Just let me know what you want to do, if anything.

[section]Brue helped shoo away interlopers. She helped Janelle distribute food to the families who came to pick up their share to take home, then she helped Janelle prepare and serve the meal to everyone else. Brue ate after everyone else had been served. While Janelle cleaned up, Brue volunteered to take meals to the men from fistfight who were told to do community service work. When these tasks were done, Brue returned to the temple. It was late, and she hoped for a bath. Tolliver didn't seem to be around at first glance, however, so Brue trudged up to her room, intent on sleep.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Going to bring you up to the point where you're delivering the food to the men workign the pyre as you get to interact with an NPC again. Plus, Vials is fun to write. If you want to edit your last post, you can. If not, no big deal.

Everything was quite civilized, Brue was fairly surprised considering the town was under quarantine and many people had already died. Judging by the snippets of conversation she overheard while guarding the line, it seemed that many of the townsfolk had faith in the archdruid and the rest of her circle returning soon to take care of the plague. Apparently, the archdruid and her cohort had dealt with many of the significant threats Mosstone had faced in the past. It was unfortunate timing that this plague had sprung up while the druid circle was away.

Once the line of people had collected their rations and been issued their vouchers for tomorrow, Brue helped Janelle out in the kitchen. Mostly chopping up vegetables, the monotony of the activity was relaxing to the genasi after the day of discovery she had. Once the vegetables were chopped, Janelle spent another hour cooking a thick soup. Once done, the kettle and several loaves of bread were loaded on a handcart and sent to the houses containing the families who were unable to pick up their rations. Janelle set aside a wheel of cheese and a few more loaves for the men working with Vials, the same men who had gotten into the fight earlier in the day. "Take these to Vials, he'll keep them for the men working pyre duty tonight. They probably won't be done with their rounds until later on this evening."

As instructed, Brue headed north on the Trade Way to Vials' stone hut. As she waited for an answer, Brue looked toward the pyre pit and noticed several unburned bodies at the bottom. When the door opened, the little gnome looked up, "Good evening, Brue. What brings you to my doorstep this evening?" Behind him, Brue could make out a body draped with a cloth on one of the tables.

[section]Brue juggled the cheese wheel and the loaves from the doorway to Vials' home. Her bandana was up around her nose and mouth. She wanted to pull it down, but couldn't with her hands full. Besides, she'd spied the cloth-draped body in the interior room, and she didn't want to catch a disease. "I'm fresh from the Nymph, with a bite to eat for the crew by the pit." Her voice came out muffled behind the bandana. "Oh! And I had a word with Captain Holt a couple of hours ago, when we picked up the stores. Do I need to keep this thing on?" Brue gestured at the bandana over her nose as best she could with her laden hands.[/section]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Vials shook his head. "After examining a few of the most recent corpses, I'm almost positive that the plague isn't transmitted through the air. Almost... so I think you'll be okay." The gnome cleared off a table outside of his building for Brue to place the food. "The pyre men are making their rounds right now, but will be back soon. I'm sure they'll be happy to get something to eat."

"How did your meeting with Captain Holt go?"

[section]Brue put down the cheese and bread on the table. She eyed the pit, but decided to take heed Vials's suggestion that it would be safe to breathe the air. She pulled down her bandana, leaving it to hang around her neck. "Well. I got an audience with Captain Holt, which I'm thinking is probably a minor miracle. But he didn't agree to send me outside the town walls to trek to the Wealdath for mushrooms. Instead, he wants those sketches you promised me so that he can send a man or two from his contingent to fetch the Fairy Cap mushrooms. He wants the map to the cave you promised me, along with a sketch and a description of the fungus. He said to send them by tomorrow evening with Janelle when she picks up the supplies at the south gate." Brue waited. She watched Vials for his reaction, and wondered again whether she ought to simply scale the walls and be off herself to the Wealdath.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Vials looked crestfallen. Shaking his head, he said, "The wait will be disastrous. The man is a fool. Well, a misguided slave to his orders at least." Sighing, the gnome put his hand to his head. "Fear not, the deaths over the next few days are on his head, not yours. Hopefully neither you nor I will be among them."

[section]Brue nodded but didn't say anything for a half a minute. "I'm afraid I've put us on the hook to supply the good captain with a map to the cave and a sketch of the fungus. Could I come by tomorrow before sundown to oick them up? In the meantime, I s'pose I'll check out the men's house you mentioned earlier today." Brue scratched her hair. She felt anxious but couldn't say why. "I'm growing curious about how the plague started. I hope you find a cure soon." Brue bid Vials a good night, and made to leave.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Perking up out of his dolor, Vials held up a finger and announced, "No reason to wait! I already have them finished. I wasn't sure how quickly you would need them, so I went ahead and prepared them as soon as you left. I didn't want to be responsible for any more deaths than necessary."

Shuffling over to the table, he pulled out two neat pieces of parchment. Handing them to Brue, the genasi noted one was a crude, but legible map. The other was a relatively realistic image of a mushroom, drawn in charcoal.

[section]Brue stretched out a hand to accept the two sheets of parchment. She looked at both, then looked up a Vials. "This one's serviceable," she tapped the map, then slid it behind the charcoal sketch of the mushroom. "But this one is brilliant." Brue scrunched her nose and peered back down at the sketch. "You have quite a hand with charcoal, Vials." She finished looking at the sketch, then rolled up both sheets of parchment. "Thanks for these. I'll see that Captain Holt receives them tomorrow. And I'll check back with you tomorrow, too. I'm sure I'll have questions." Brue smiled at the gnome. He's plenty nice. Chipper. Wonder why Dorin doesn't care for him? Or maybe that was just Dorin being playful? Brue left in a fugue, wondering at the idiosyncrasies of dwarves. The stench outside Vials' home reminded her to put up her bandana. She did so, then walked through town toward the temple. It was late, she was tired, she wanted a bath, and an early start on the morrow.[/section]

Remove ads