• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5th edition

spideyfan1972

First Post
What do I need to play the new modules coming out? Are the basic rules enough or do I need to get all new core books? Or maybe the new starter set?

What do I need to play the new modules coming out? Are the basic rules enough or do I need to get all new core books? Or maybe the new starter set?
If your goal is to play Hoard of the Dragon Queen (the hardcover level 1-7 adventure just released this month), then that's the only product you need to buy. You'll also have to download:
The Starter Set isn't necessary if you're using the free material linked above, but the adventure that comes bundled in the Starter Set is very good, and links indirectly with Hoard of the Dragon Queen. (Starter Set is levels 1-5, occurs in the same region of the Forgotten Realms, introduces the party to the same five factions, and includes a cameo by the villainous organization that HotDQ centers around.)

Best of luck and happy gaming! :)

delericho

Legend
Yep, what they said.

Be aware that once you've downloaded and read Basic, you'll almost certainly want more. :)

And I can second the recommendation for the adventure in the Starter Set - there's no reason to get that set except for that adventure (everything else is online... well, except the dice), but the adventure is very, very good.

spideyfan1972

First Post
I think I will give the starter set a try. Seems like an inexpensive to get an adventure in the new system and see if I like the gameplay. It would be nice if there was an easy conversion to 1E, but that is probably asking for too much.

rastus_burne

First Post
I think I will give the starter set a try. Seems like an inexpensive to get an adventure in the new system and see if I like the gameplay. It would be nice if there was an easy conversion to 1E, but that is probably asking for too much.
Good choice. I don't think you'll regret it. It wouldn't surprise me if the Starter Set adventure becomes a classic one day.

Regarding 1e conversion, you can use the 1e MM books, as a lot of the creatures like Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, etc are present. Start 1e characters, and supplement the checks with thieving skills, listen checks on a d6, attacks on matrix, turning undead on usual chart etc. A lot is storyline, and it borrows heavily from the monsters of previous edition, so I can't imagine it being a challenge. Create NPCs for the characters the PCs will encounter, or just invert the listed ACs in the Starter Set. Drop NPC/Monster hit points by 3 or so per level/hit die.

Last edited:

Remove ads