• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

I wish all Arcane spellcasters (i.e. Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, etc.) got the same number of spells known and spell slots per level. A Player shouldn't be penalized for choosing to play a caster whose power is innate as opposed to studied from a book. Sure, there can be game-mechanical differences between Sorcerers, Wizards and Warlocks (and maybe different spell lists)... but does the number of spells known/spell slots need to be that difference? In 3e Sorcerers knew many more spells at 20th level than they do in 5e. I'm not saying make Sorcerers and Wizards identical except for casting method, I'm saying make them equally potent to play as.

Thurmas

Explorer
There are a number of things I would like to see in a 6th edition. I will start with what I see as being hands down the most important.

1. Backwards compatibility with all 5E adventures and monster books. Don't invalidate the products people have already purchased. Make the focus on characters and rules.

2. More well rounded and balanced characters. I don't think 5E is bad, but there is certainly disparity between some classes. Take what was learned from 5E and make really interesting classes using the same system.

3. A more flexible class system. I love the way the warlock works. It has so many options as it levels. It isn't just a set in stone leveling progression. You truly get to build a character as you desire.

4. Similar to the last point, more flexibility in leveling. Separate ASI and feat advancement. ASI is fine as is, but give feats separately. They add so much flavor to characters. Tone down the power if needed, but allow them to still give power and customization to characters more frequently every few levels.

5. Races and backgrounds that add interesting features after level 1-3.

6. The same base classes plus the warlord, Artificer and psion.

7. Subclass selection at level 2. 1 is too early, 3 is too late. Avoid 1 level dips. Don't make characters wait forever for defining characteristics.

8. More balanced spells. Enough time has passed, every spell should be good, useful and appropriately balanced. There should be no duds.

9. A slightly more varied weapons and armor list. They should be varied and distinct, but still simple and balanced.

10. Anything other than the current version of the ranger.

11. Fix the rules that in 5E don't work well or are unclear. Stealth, 2 weapon fighting, wording of shield master, etc.

12. More guidance on magic item economy.

13. I'm sure there are more. My biggest thing is don't completely revamp what 5E did. Just improve it.

1. Backwards compatibility with all 5E adventures and monster books. Don't invalidate the products people have already purchased. Make the focus on characters and rules.

Agreed. And make it easier to adapt earlier adventures as well.

9. A slightly more varied weapons and armor list. They should be varied and distinct, but still simple and balanced.

A metal shield, for example, should have different weight and properties than a wooden shield.

Vael

Legend
First, I'd like to not see a 6e anytime soon, I'm more than happy with 5e.

But, assuming a 6e is coming:

1. Maintain a solid, simple core.
2. Have an alternative to level based multiclassing. I preferred the 4e approach to multiclassing to the 3.5/5e system, but I know I'm an outlier. So maybe offer both?
3. Streamline DMing, offer more aids, make it easier to run with less prep. Be more transparent about magic items and how award them, and offer other bonuses instead and how they balance.

A metal shield, for example, should have different weight and properties than a wooden shield.

This is one of those things i my pers0nal preference bucket, but may not be suited to everyone.

I'd like a buckler that is +1 to ac only but can be used as a 1d3 offhand weapon.

I'd like masterwork weapons back in.

I'd love magic weapons and armor to do away with + bonuses and instead have interesting effects.

I know the last one is sacred and will never be removed

BigBadDM

Explorer
I wish all Arcane spellcasters (i.e. Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, etc.) got the same number of spells known and spell slots per level. A Player shouldn't be penalized for choosing to play a caster whose power is innate as opposed to studied from a book. Sure, there can be game-mechanical differences between Sorcerers, Wizards and Warlocks (and maybe different spell lists)... but does the number of spells known/spell slots need to be that difference? In 3e Sorcerers knew many more spells at 20th level than they do in 5e. I'm not saying make Sorcerers and Wizards identical except for casting method, I'm saying make them equally potent to play as.

If Sorcerer's had the spell number of spells known as a Wizard I would play them every time. I would never play a Wizard again because a Warlock's meta magic is that powerful.

I think the number of spell slots at for 7th, 8th and 9th level spells is perfect. Who wants to play a game where the arcane class is casting Wish three times a day. We did that before and it wasn't fun for everyone else at the table.

Remove ads