D&D accused of being satans game.

ArghMark

First Post
Black leaf, noo!

funny, I've never come across anyone, christian or otherwise, who bought into this satans game business. Still, I never played in the 80s. I have had in my group a fundamentalist Christian, my wife follows the charismatic paths of Catholicism and so on. Yet they all put aside differences to pretend to be elves and kill the evil guy.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I had such a crush on Blackleaf. *sniff*

But no one please violate our rules on discussing religion, just because Dark Dungeons is completely awesome. You can't judge Fundamentalist Christians from Jack Chick, any more than you can think all 83-year-olds are total playboys because you've met Hugh Hefner.

Thanks.

Hairfoot

First Post
Actually, I've always identified with that particular Chick Tract. When I call girls to ask them out, they often say "not tonight. I'm fighting the zombie."

Jhaelen

First Post
A female DM? Yeah, like that ever happens.
My DM's female :p

That comic is so ridiculously bad, I'd consider buying it if I didn't have to place a minimum order of 10,000.

Anyway, I certainly can't blame Jack Chick, it's obvious he found a great market niche, there (assuming he actually manages to sell that stuff).

Mephistopheles

First Post
funny, I've never come across anyone, christian or otherwise, who bought into this satans game business. Still, I never played in the 80s. I have had in my group a fundamentalist Christian, my wife follows the charismatic paths of Catholicism and so on. Yet they all put aside differences to pretend to be elves and kill the evil guy.

I have, but only once.

In 1988 my cousin and I, both in our early teens, were playing D&D. My cousin had a friend over so we took him through rolling up a character so he could join in. About thirty minutes into the game this guy's mother poked her head into the room to see what we're up to and we told her we're playing D&D and she said something like "Oh no, you're not getting my son involved in that sinful business" and she took him home on the spot. My cousin and I thought it was pretty funny even though we felt a bit sorry for his friend.

A few years later when I learned about all the business with Patricia Pulling and B.A.D.D. I did wonder if that kid's mother dragged him off for an emergency session with someone like Reverend Roy Heat.

Remove ads