D&D Achievements

Infiniti2000

First Post
I'm sure I'm not alone, but probably might be the only one to mention it. I strongly dislike trying to make my D&D game resemble Facebook. Therefore, I really have to disapprove of these achievements. But, of course YMMV.

Rewards

I give rewards for the last monster killed during a combat encounter, MVPC (Most Valuable Player Character) for the most kills or skill challenges completed during an encounter (combat or otherwise), and the first person to roll Crit.

I like these other ones and will probably use some of them in the future. It would be nice if someone made a purty chart/Excel sheet of these (hint hint).

Cheers!

Wik

First Post
I like where you've gone with this. I'd make a few changes, though:

First, I'd make each list appropriate to the character's type. So, controllers would get access to a different list than a defender. The point, after all, is to encourage the players to think tactically; you don't want the soldiers trying to get the minion-popping bonus.

Second, I'd add the caveat that the XP is split evenly between the party. So, if the defender gets a bonus, everyone in the party shares it. While this may seem counterintuitive, what it winds up doing is allowing the players to help each other in getting all the achievements.

Third, I'd tailor the XP so that each player's total amount of XP earned is equivalent to what one PC would earn in an encounter of the appropriate level. Thus, if the party hits all of the achievements, they've basically gained one encounter's worth of XP. Perhaps five achievements per player, for a total of 25 achievements per level. This is a lot to conquer, and it might dominate player thinking, but it's a pretty good learning curve. You can slowly reduce the number of achievements as the players gain more confidence with the system.

Fourth, I'd tailor the curve, here. Make a new achievement list for each level. Level 1 achievements are the basics, with goals aimed towards getting the players to use their characters (a leader might get a "heal two PCs in one encounter" achievement, which is really easy to do), while the achievements will get progressively harder as the levels increase (a level 5 leader might get "heal all party members - including yourself, in one single encounter"). I'd also throw in some "fun" ones that are just a little random - "slay an opponent while prone", for example.

I really like where you're going with the titles for these, and I think you've hit the nail square on the head in that regards.

NMcCoy

Explorer
Besides action points in my games, I used "re-roll" points. (Most of the time I call them "luck points"). Basically, you can re-roll any d20 or damage roll at the cost of one luck point.

My group doesn't use XP at all, but we have something very similar to this - Aspects and Fate Points, imported from the FATE system (Spirit of the Century/Dresden Files). Fate points would make excellent rewards for an achievement system like this.
And if you're already using similar points, I'd suggest you look into Aspects/FP for your game - we've been using them, and it's amazing how much more awesome it's made our game.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I think the XP rewards are a bit high if given to a single player, fine if divided amongst the group. A very good incentive to help learn tactics.

I personally like DM Achievements, esp for LFR games, not all are good for long running campagins:

Most of mine revolve around TPKs, number of times reducing a character to negative during an encounter, and the number of healing surges consumed during an adventure.

Someone on the 4e House Rules forum had a system with Purple power cards.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...dex-cards-fly-setting-plot-collaboration.html

Each session you shuffle up a stack of cards and deal them out. They have random goals, like "Deal damage to an enemy by making him fall, and you get XP" or "Once during this session, if asked to make a knowledge check, you can make up an answer and the GM must make that answer correct unless the whole group thinks it's dumb. If you do this, earn XP equivalent to killing a minion."

It spices up the game by encouraging different tactics.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Lots of intriguing ideas in this thread, but I'm not my XBox and I would hate to have to think about what achievements I had to offer and who was getting them. I have enough on my plate when I'm DM'ing as it is! I do like the idea of dishing out random goals per session for bonus exps though. That's pretty cool.

I'm trying to think how my players would react to this kind of thing. They're all big gamers, so they know about achievement systems, but would they like it in their D&D? I'm honestly not sure.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Another idea, instead of awarding XP, award Temp HP scaled per tier. Could even award in the form of a single use power to be cashed in later for temps, a free surge w/o spending a surge (standard action), a +1 to a single defense during a single attack, a +1 to any roll, an extra move action, an automatic success (instead of a die roll) on a death saving throw, an +1 to a saving throw (usable after roll), regen 1/2/3 (tiered) for party during a single encounter. Small stuff like that. the free surgless heal would probably be the biggest reward and would need to be tied to a really good achievement.

Remove ads