• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Ad in GamePro Mag

Demmero

Explorer
It's on page 61 of the August issue (#191).

It's a full-page ad showing a human warrior with a big shield and shining axe battling through a sea of baddies. The caption is: "We Invented Godmode."

The smaller print down at the bottom of the page reads: "This is where RPGs started. Character building, boss monsters, level advancement, special moves--all of it comes from the granddaddy of them all: the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game."

"We did it first--and we still do it best. More at playdnd.com."

Then there's a 30th Anniversary D&D logo with "Experience Counts" written beneath it.

It's pretty darn sweet-looking ;) When I first saw the ad I thought "Whoa! This looks like a must-have D&D-style video game!" It was only after I read the ad that I realized it was pitching the pen-and-paper RPG I love so much.

I hope this is a sign of things to come as WotC celebrates D&D's 30th anniversary. The ad's a real eye-catcher, and that's a good thing. Advertising in a video game magazine's also a good move, IMHO. Nicely done.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Good move on WotC's part. I think videogame players are WotC's best target market.

The pen and paper and video game demographic are almost identical.

Zander

Explorer
I haven't seen the ad but I'm glad that D&D is reclaiming what belongs to it. It bugs me when videogamers claim that they play role-playing games or when the media equate gaming with video games only.

Vampyrknight

First Post
Originally posted by Zander:
I haven't seen the ad but I'm glad that D&D is reclaiming what belongs to it. It bugs me when videogamers claim that they play role-playing games or when the media equate gaming with video games only.

Here, here! The next video gamer who dare says that Final Fantasy or Zelda is an actual roleplaying game will get a stern lecture. Up with D&D!

VampyrKnight

Creamsteak

Explorer
Vampyrknight said:
Here, here! The next video gamer who dare says that Final Fantasy or Zelda is an actual roleplaying game will get a stern lecture. Up with D&D!

VampyrKnight
...I'm not sure what to say...

...but I know I need to say something witty here...

marketingman

Explorer
It is always fun to hear "but it works on the PS 2 this way" my favorite retort is "I am a PS2's Nightmare"

And boy does it cost to advertise in Gamepro so it is good to see that they are trying to reach target audiance with differant ads in Mad and others for the younger market.

Remove ads