• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Adventurer's League vs. Pathfinder Society

Cascade

First Post
Absolutely disagree --...

So while you might think you're speeding up the combat by making it take fewer rounds, if each of those rounds is five times longer than it needs to be, you're not actually speeding up the game.

--
Pauper

C'mon Really? Comparing T1 combats to T2 and T3 for length of time.??

I played in the WF Epic and we had primarily a group of role players...I played one too, well, because that's what I wanted to play. We only finished 3 encounters and hand waved through the last one just to get our 2nd magic item. We had a grappling fighter, 2 clerics, a rogue, an archer and a "skill monkey" warlock / bard / rogue. If it wasn't for the archer we did have, we wouldn't have finished half of it.

I played through all of the season 1-3 events, all the epics, even a few multiple times. There's encounters with 5 giants at tier 2 - that's more than 700 hp of damage and imagine slugging through that combat with your best classes doing (1d6 +5) x3. Let alone trying to do the same thing at T3.

As I said earlier, if your judge can quickly adjust the encounters and remove stuff, it's very enjoyable. If the judge plays it as written, you simply can't deal enough damage in time allotted given run of the mill builds. I've run a lot of these, so I see it also from the other side.

Certainly play experience varies, I think greatly by tier and immensely by judge...but I think we've derailed the OP topic enough.

Good discussion though...lively is good; it shows passion and involvement.

Remove ads