• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the Implied Setting

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I generally reject the idea of the 'implied setting'. To me, things operate differently for the PC's than for Everyone Else so I have no problem in which healing, ressurection and the like is sorta easy for us, but for Everyone Else, dead is dead, people die from the flu, and cutting yourself on a rusty nail is probably a death sentence.

I've run games where there was a high level of magic, a low level of magic, and the shades in between - never saw much of a reason to change the system very much. Same thing with regards to alignment, economics, or any of the other myriad things I see people argue about. It's just not an issue with most games I've run or been in.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
fusangite said:
The religion you described above is Manicheism. Manicheans were persecuted by Christians in ages past because of their unorthodox ideas about evil. The Presbyterian Church of Canada has, in the past taken a position that D&D is a good game for people to play, provided they excise the alignment system because of exactly this problem.

That is absolutely facinating. I had no idea such a thing ever existed. Start a thread on CM, perhaps? I could explain my answer to it there :) The short, cryptic answer is that I'd have no trouble with using D&D to model the Church; I'd handle it like Vampire or Mage handled human history.

fusangite said:
You seem to take the position that anything can happen in D&D even if the rules can neither explain nor replicate it. I take a different view.

I think you hew closer to the RAW than the vast majority of GM's, though, and certainly closer to a perceived spirit of the RAW than almost anyone I've ever seen. I play very close to he RAW, but I have no problem with tossing in ad hoc stuff like 'You have 20 hp and you just took 15 hp from a horse trampling you. Your leg is broken and you're basically going to need someone to move you until a cleric can attend to you'. Totally off the cuff and not in the RAW, but I see DM's do stuff like that all the time.

To me, all fiction (and thus, D&D, especially when using D&D to model a published world) is like superhero comics. If you hew too closely to logical extensions of how things should operate, then you quickly realize things in the book cannot work as they do. Yet they do work that way. The trick is to treat the locgical extensions as the flaws instead of the reality.

That's probably saying things badly. What I'm trying to get across is you need to lock your inner historian in a trunk and not let him out while playing.

pawsplay

Hero
Making Satan a god and evil an active principle is contrary to basic teachings of all mainline churches.

The basic positions, perhaps, but not the teachings. Although Chrstian don't use that kind of language, Satan is essentially an evil demigod, and any religious studies course will tell you that Christianity has many dualistic elements. People don't refer to Satan as an "evil god" for the same reason people don't talk about Christian "mythology"; the dominant culture does not enjoy getting anthropologized.

But that's getting afield.

The DMG actually does have optional rules for specific kinds of injuries, so hamstringing can be done.

Banshee16

First Post
pawsplay said:
The DMG actually does have optional rules for specific kinds of injuries, so hamstringing can be done.

Swashbuckling Adventures has rules for that as well....actually, the rules are for called shots. Basically, you take a negative to your to hit roll, and if you score a crit, instead of inflicting extra damage, you in fact can apply your choice of effects.....hamstringing them, whacking them on the head, etc. I don't remember the specifics, as I don't have the book in front of me.

Banshee

Gold Roger

First Post
Hjorimir said:
1) A supplement is balanced against itself and the core books, which means that a supplement is not necessarily balanced against another supplement. If you let the "PC's imaginations run wild" you can get some game-breaking PCs. Just take a stroll over to the WotC boards and see some of the monsters - oopse, I mean characters - they slap together over there.

So, because there are some overtwinking kids that will never play your game on the wotc boards you've got the impression that all players need hand holding to make reasonable PC's?

Hjorimir said:
2) A good campaign can be defined as much by what it doesn't allow as much as it is defined by what it adds. In the first part of your post you were validating that you can modify D&D any way you like and that it is fine to only contradict yourself by saying limitations are indicative of bad DMing. So, which is it? You cannot have both.

I don't buy into this. If a good campaign has to be limited, why not limit it to the stuff the players like as much as you do. I mean, if your players like the stuff you do and prefer to sit back and let you figure out what they may play, ok, but otherwhise I see no reason to not work with the player on worldbuilding?

Hjorimir said:
3) If a DM can run a game outside the implied setting that has to mean that the DM should feel free to strip away PrCs and even - gasp - core classes in order to create the setting and verisimilitude he or she desires. You say a good DM allows anything and everything and I say a good player can find an exciting character that works within the context of the DM's setting.

So, the DMs desires are more important than those of the players, because he has the right to strip out stuff he doesn't like and players don't have the right to include stuff they do like?

I'd say a game that is less based on rights and more on players and DM sitting down and hammering out a gameworld together they all like would be more successfull.

"No, Bob, you cannot run an Aztec Warrior that sailed to Japan and became a ninja. This is Middle Earth and I need you to select something in line with that world."[/QUOTE]

So, who said this was going to be a middle earth game? You alone?

I see three reasons to play a strictly middle earth game:

You decided you want to run middle earth and sought players that want to do so as well.

The group decided to play a middle earth game.

The group ok'ed your suggestion to play a middle earth game.

In those three cases I'd agree that Bob is totally out there. Otherwhise I'd say that a game that includes a fantastic pseudo-atztec and Japan sounds fun. And because Bob made the suggestion, he can flesh out those regions, leaving you more time for adventures and other places.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Tagnik said:
You guys both just made me sick. Keep it civil next time, good lord.

Hey I didn't do anything. Kae'yoss just felt like doing it. I was being polite about it. :p

Hero,

Eh maybe it's not so much the DM's power is weakened, merely the PCs aren't subject to the whims of a useless DM. :p Just my two cent. Besides with 3.x and d20, I got my home. :D Scarred Land forever! :D

fusangite

First Post
Mallus said:
Sure, but a lot of people just ditch alignment-as-written, or treat it as a purely descriptive system, or remove it completely from their games (as done in both my campaings with a minimum of effort or fuss).
I do similar things with alignment myself. But the point here is that there is an implied setting and that, as we move away from the default setting, we have to amend the rules more and more substantially. At some point, a system will cease to meaningfully be D&D.

Second edition Runequest was a system published in 1981 with STR, CON, DEX, INT, POW (power as a substitute for wisdom) and CHA; each character had hit points. Other superficial similarities existed. But there was no question that the game that was being played was no longer D&D; so little question that, as far as I know, no litigation was ever taken up against Chaosium.

Now, I could take any mechanic in D20, alignment, combat actions, hit points/damage, spells and replace it and you could say "Well, that's still D&D." At what point have you replaced enough pieces of the rules that it's not D&D but some other game? For every example I could provide of ways that D&D entails a certain setting, you could respond just as you have on the alignment question.
What do the rules governing publishing materials have to do with the changes a group implements for their weekend game? Again, the groups I've played in had no signifigant problem disentangling the alignment system from the rest of the game.
What we are arguing about is the implied setting of D&D. Some people have argued that there is no limit to the fantasy settings D&D can depict. It seems to me that, in order to argue for or against this proposition, there has to be an operative definition of D&D. The D20 license is the closest thing I can think of to an operative definition. If you want to argue that D&D=anything people declare to be D&D, I'll happily agree that, if you use that definition, D&D can model anything because D&D can be anything. But that doesn't really get us anywhere, nor does it allow us to ask and answer basic questions about the implied setting of the game.
But hamstringing a foe is easy to describe using standand d20 mechanics, even if the offical rules don't provide for it. Are you really saying your group couldn't agree on a way to model it?
If you allow locational damage in this instance, explain to me why you wouldn't need to allow it in some other instance. If you can hamstring someone, what about cutting off an arm? A leg? Why couldn't you aim for an eye in combat?

I suppose a group could produce a big almanac of piecemeal rules for locational damage for each situation that arose or, it could completely rewrite the D&D damage mechanic. In the first instance, you end up with a ratty set of exceptions tacked-on to a system that is antithetical to them; in the second, you end up with a damage mechanic other than D&D.
Using your original example, I'd rule hamstringing a captured foe (outside of combat) would result in said foe having his movement rate reduced to a Crawl (5ft), and suffer a -2 circumstance penalty to any physical activity they could still perform. There... easy-peasy (I can't believe I just typed that...).
That's great. Now make an optional rule for every locational injury. Now come up with the conditions under which they could be inflicted. And presto! A new, non-D&D damage mechanic!
Perhaps we just disgree on what constitutes 'radical alterations to the mechanic'.
It seems to me that the basic spirit of the D20 damage mechanic is that a person can be in three states with respect to combat: 1. able to fight 2. unconscious 3. dead. Now, D&D permits various states of disability but I would note that not a single one involves locational damage, not even deafness or blindness. It seems to me that you have effectively replaced the system if you graft physically located injuries onto this.
And can't some rule modifications be ad-hoc and single-use-only?
Because it's bad GMing and bad world building. A competent GM should be able to make a self-consistent world. For goodness' sake, he can unilaterally write house rules; if he can't manage to represent something using rules of his own design, he doesn't have any business representing it.
I don't think anyone said it could.
Look at the posts to which I was responding.
As to how useful a tool it is to model a wide variety of fantasy worlds, I still think that's best framed as a social issue, a matter of the expectations and agreements between players.

You expect a rules set to provide "the physics of the game world", where I expect them to provide a rough modelling tool.
Fair enough. I just don't see what anybody loses by making a setting that conforms to a set of self-consistent rules. I guess I just don't understand what the downside is.
WayneLigon said:
To me, all fiction (and thus, D&D, especially when using D&D to model a published world) is like superhero comics. If you hew too closely to logical extensions of how things should operate, then you quickly realize things in the book cannot work as they do. Yet they do work that way. The trick is to treat the locgical extensions as the flaws instead of the reality.
This just seems an intellecutally uninteresting way to go. Why not develop a model that explains what is going on? What is the downside of self-consistency if you can pull it off?
That's probably saying things badly. What I'm trying to get across is you need to lock your inner historian in a trunk and not let him out while playing.
While my games are not everybody's cup of tea, I don't know why you would advise me to stop doing the thing that people find attractive about my games. The people who like my games like them because they know there is an underlying coherence to my worlds and figuring out the underlying system that governs them is a big part of the payoff. My players, between them, generate about 10 pages of notes per session; they correspond with eachother between games. They do this because they have faith that when they crack the big code, the phenomena with which their characters have interacted will take on a unity and a meaning.
Gold Roger said:
So, the DMs desires are more important than those of the players, because he has the right to strip out stuff he doesn't like and players don't have the right to include stuff they do like?
When I join a game, I join a game to experience a coherent story and setting fashioned by my GM. I do not show up to design a setting by committee. If you want to game in RPGs where the GM is just one voice among many designing the physical laws and cultures of his world, go buy Sorceror or Burning Wheel.

If I want to design a setting, I'll be the GM. If I'm showing up with a character sheet, that means I'm here to play a setting, a setting based on an internal logic more powerful and coherent than what PrC some munchkin has just found in the latest piece of overpriced WOTC swag.

genshou

First Post
Lucias said:
Those of you who have gamed with me probably know I'm not the biggest fan of 3.5. I'll play it without hesitation, but it's not something I've been eager to run since my two-yearish 3E campaign ended in '02.

One of the big reasons for this is the sheer amount of work it requires to DM. The prep time is just ridiculously high for anything except a published module and even then it can be tough. Another reason is that the sheer amount of rules make it difficult for anyone without a lot of experience with the rules to run anything on the fly or roll with a PC decision that takes the adventure off track (which we all know frequently happens).
PCs taking the adventure off track is certainly not as easy to deal with in d20 System games, especially D&D and especially at high levels.
Aside from the above problems with 3.5, which I could deal with if need be, there's one other thing that's been the biggest obstacle to my embracing of 3.5...the implied setting.

D&D has always made a lot of assumptions about the world the game is played in. People get more power by adventuring, there is divine and arcane magic, magic is commonplace <snip>
Here, though, is where I begin to disagree. What is a "commonplace" level of magic to you? If you take a careful look at the highest-level NPC according to the demographics methods in the Dungeon Master's Guide, you'll notice that only large cities and above have access to spell levels worth mentioning, and the population:mage ratio is horrid. I can't even begin to describe the lack of supply to meet the demand, and all of this according to the RAW's implied setting! That's not what I think of as commonplace magic. In my homebrew setting, I deliberately upped the implied level of magic to actually make it commonplace.

In smaller communities, the magic has a little more personal access, but with such a limited amount of spells, one 1st-level Wizard in a village of 500 can't really do much. Add to that the fact that, in a society lacking modern agricultural technology and/or common enough magic to replicate it; refrigeration; and rapid, worldwide food travel, having demographics far removed from those of the real world in medieval times wouldn't be realistic. The minor effect magic might have is easily countered by the presence of the occasional beastie.

All in all, I'd say given the D&D mechanics applied rationally to a setting, less than 1% of communities are small city and above, and over 90% of the population lives in thorps, hamlets, and villages.

The most important thing to remember when thinking of the Implied Setting is that the PCs exist outside the framework of almost the entire rest of the world. When all you see in play is what's happening to the PCs, sometimes you can't see the forest for the moss growing on the trees.

fusangite

First Post
genshou said:
Here, though, is where I begin to disagree. What is a "commonplace" level of magic to you? If you take a careful look at the highest-level NPC according to the demographics methods in the Dungeon Master's Guide, you'll notice that only large cities and above have access to spell levels worth mentioning, and the population:mage ratio is horrid. I can't even begin to describe the lack of supply to meet the demand, and all of this according to the RAW's implied setting! That's not what I think of as commonplace magic.
That's because you haven't factored-in the gear of all NPCs over 2nd level. Now you see how common it is.

Also, think of all the magic-using classes; bards, clerics, druids, sorcerors and wizards start with spells; paladins and rangers get them at 4th level. Add in the adepts and you've got about as big a portion of spellcasters in your population as you have Black people in the US.

fusangite

First Post
WayneLigon said:
That is absolutely facinating. I had no idea such a thing ever existed. Start a thread on CM, perhaps? I could explain my answer to it there :) The short, cryptic answer is that I'd have no trouble with using D&D to model the Church; I'd handle it like Vampire or Mage handled human history.
I'm happy to contribute if you want to start a thread in the other place.

Remove ads