• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Have they risen to the levels you are experiencing at home?

Over the course of a week and a half, they jumped over what I'm experiencing at home, adjusting for population.

I was being vague in a superstitious attempt not to jinx it - I was planning to go to Puerto Rico. Their cases were down around 100 per day about 10 days ago, and now are around 5700 per day. The key may have been the truly massive concert event that they had a bit over a week ago now. Like, 100,000 attendees massive.

Their graph of cases looks like this:
1640376503537.png

So, you can see, just a little while ago, it was low and comfortable, especially for folks expecting to spend most of their time outside in 80F weather. But now... ugh.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That’s a big OOF.

Superspreader concert event doubtlessly contributed to that, but I’m betting omicron crashed that party to generate a spike like that.

Supposedly, the Omicron variant is about as contagious as measles, which is kinda the King of contagiousness.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That’s a big OOF.

Superspreader concert event doubtlessly contributed to that, but I’m betting omicron crashed that party to generate a spike like that.

Supposedly, the Omicron variant is about as contagious as measles, which is kinda the King of contagiousness.

Yeah. We went out and did it, but we didn't feel really good about going to the movie last weekend, even though we've had all three shots.

That’s a big OOF.

Wow. That would be impressive. Measles is the most contagious disease there is. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: After a search, Omicron's R-value is around 3-5. Which is impressive! Most diseases are about 0.8-2.

If it wasn't mentioned earlier, R-value is (roughly) the number of people expected to be infected by a person with the disease. Measles has an R-value of 12-15.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wow. That would be impressive. Measles is the most contagious disease there is. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: After a search, Omicron's R-value is around 3-5. Which is impressive! Most diseases are about 0.8-2.

If it wasn't mentioned earlier, R-value is (roughly) the number of people expected to be infected by a person with the disease. Measles has an R-value of 12-15.
Some researchers are pegging Omicron’s R value higher.

One article I read said it was more contagious than measles due to some additional factor, but I can’t find it now. It’s possible it was withdrawn. If I can find it again, I’ll post it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This isn’t it, but this is from The Lancet.

The original strain of SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 of 2·5, while the delta variant (B.1.617.2) has an R0 of just under 7. Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (London, UK), reckons omicron's R0 could be as high as 10.

That puts it right on the heels of the measles.

Some more researchers are chiming in that it may be less dangerous than previous strains, but with its mutations, it looks like omicron is not affected by most of the monoclonal antibody products except GlaxoSmithKline’s.

Last edited:

Remove ads