• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, but to be fair they've been lamenting that since at least the 80s, probably a few decades longer.
It was true back then, too.

I fully accept tastes differ, but consider how many great jazz musicians depend on European and Asian fanbases and are barely known in the USA, the birthplace of the genre.

There’s a real hard truth behind the phrase, “big in Japan.”

Zardnaar

Legend
SPPS is down to 8 new cases out of 4200 tests per day.

2 more deaths in palliative care facilities. Cluster of 20 though.

Looks like we will go to level 3 which is about the same as everyone else lockdown.

Means we can go swimming and get deliveries like pizza, Uber eats etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, I hate jazz.
Lots of people do. I’m not talking about personal taste, though, but jazz musicians’ lack of recognition as artists in comparison to even the worst pop bands.

Lets use the imperfect lens of record sales.

According to the RIAA, of the top selling albums in jazz history, only 8 have been certified platinum. And of those, only 1 went multi platinum. #6 on the list is a compilation- the soundtrack to Ken Burns’ documentary, Jazz. Of the 92 albums certified Diamond, none are jazz.

In contrast, there were 4 platinum albums halfway through 2019.

You‘d think that the skill & talent of jazz musicians would translate into sales, but it doesn’t. Regardless of the music’s intrinsic worth, it isn’t connecting to big audiences.

Sure, there’s more going on. I was on a trip to Michigan & Illinois when my hosts brought me to a local record store...along with their gaggle of tweenagers. I bought two of Soundgarden’s earliest releases. Each little girl bought the latest NKOTB release...one CD for each member of the group, and named for him.

Irrational? Sure- remember, “fan“ is derived from “fanatic”. And it’s probably an exception rather than the norm, even within the NKOTB fanbase. But that kind of behavior not only boosts sales, by doing so, it distorts the lens we were using to compare musicians.

However, it also reveals people not engaging with the music on the basis of its quality, but rather, the celebrity of those who made it.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
It seems that some states are closing their borders, or closing them somewhat. They have it where you need to report what reasons you have for crossing the state lines (not sure what they do if you have no reason or they don't think the reason is good enough) and basically trying to close the state borders to all but essential business for crossing.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
It seems that some states are closing their borders, or closing them somewhat. They have it where you need to report what reasons you have for crossing the state lines (not sure what they do if you have no reason or they don't think the reason is good enough) and basically trying to close the state borders to all but essential business for crossing.

My guess is turn back and return to your home or face a possible fine.

My friends and I decided to cancel our road trip from Montreal to Gencon this year.

We don't know what the situation will be in July, or if the border will be opened by then, but we won't take the chance.

The virus will still be around, and the usual lack of hygiene doesn't bode well for those that will attend (assuming it isn't cancelled).

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Ugh. I've been anticipating that. Guess I've got no choice but to give up on my interstate relocation plans for the foreseeable future? Ugh.

Is anyone (among the USAians here) aware of a central repository of travel/business/social restrictions by state? I've been looking for something to help with travel/business decisions. Main one I've found is THIS SITE, but to get the details, you still have to slog through dozens of governors' executive orders, etc. It's pretty overwhelming, so if there's a simpler guide out there, I'd love to hear about it.

Remove ads