D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The problem is that the rest of the world only sloppily copies Toyota. They still grasp it as "inventory is a liability" and not "inventory that you don't need is a liability. Toyota needs that inventory as a hedge against disruption, so they keep it.
Another lesson Toyota learned is that “salaries you can’t afford are a liability”.

Their salary structure in upper management is a LOT flatter than you’d see in their American counterparts. Not that you don’t need top talent in the uppermost echelons of your company, but if your salary structure is too top-heavy, you’re sacrificing corporate flexibility for executive compensation. When your company’s resources aren’t tied up in a slew of bonuses and golden parachutes, you can actually throw money at problems that can be solved by money throwing.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The assertion was that we could no longer meet WWII production levels in steel. That is clearly inaccurate. I have proven that point.

So, are you trying to move the goalposts, or make a different point?

Please include how your answer is relevant, given the fact that modern warfare is not, and has not for decades, been about who can put the most armor in the field.
It's OK if you don't get my point. I may be an unclear communicator, or I may be addressing a field outside your experience.

The snark and condesension, however, are unnecessary.

GreyLord

Legend
Back at the beginning of the pandemic, folks may recall that it was nearly impossible to find a new car to purchase - the supply of computer chips was disrupted, so cars weren't getting made.

I still have trouble getting a new car. I like to go out to the lot, look and see the car I'm going to actually buy...but none of the car areas around where I am at have had this experience for a while (though, if I travel 30 miles I think there IS a toyota place, I hadn't thought of going out there to look. If they actually have cars to sell on the lot, that would be great).

Instead, everyone has people pre-order the car online. They are already sold by the time they come to the car sellers.

I don't care for this as you never know what you are actually getting. You can't look at the engine, or see the inside, you can't drive it to see if it has some bumps or anything, you just have to hope.

Last car I bought was 2020, but that was some of the last ones they had on the lot before this entire pre-order thing became the way of the day.

It could be nice if Toyota still has the car on the lot sales process.

GreyLord

Legend

In the beginning of the Pandemic I bought this Phone-bath thingy, which basically is a box with a UV light in it. You put your electronics or whatever in it for a time period and supposedly it is sanitized by it.

Used it for safety precautions, never knowing if it actually was doing something or not. Sounds like it may have been doing something.

Thomas Shey

Legend
In the beginning of the Pandemic I bought this Phone-bath thingy, which basically is a box with a UV light in it. You put your electronics or whatever in it for a time period and supposedly it is sanitized by it.

Used it for safety precautions, never knowing if it actually was doing something or not. Sounds like it may have been doing something.

We got a UV-C wand, but you have to use those with great care, both with glasses and gloves. It ended up being pretty impractical.

CapnZapp

Legend
As a reply to several posts regarding the industrial capacity of the US.

The US has fought every war since WWII with one (both?) hands tied behind its back.

Everything is about not disrupting civilian life back in the States. The Vietnam War came closest to doing this (=forcing Average Joe to making sacrifices), and in the end the US lost because it threatened to actually make a difference.

Every war since? Not even a blip, in comparison.

If the US were to ever make an effort on the scale of WWII, that is, transform into a war-time economy, it would totally and easily be able to produce thousands of fighter jets and tanks, and once more be able to lose 50 bombers in a single mission and still call it a success.

Please don't confuse what a country can do in these two modes:
a) regular citizens don't even have to realize the country is fighting a war in the first place
with
b) the US government forces every young man (and woman?) into uniform. Every corporation is possibly forced to produce war materiel (at gunpoint, if needed). Civilian stuff is reduced to basic necessities, and production of war materiel is doubled and doubled and doubled and THEN doubled again. Trillions of dollars that previously couldn't be allocated to saving the climate or feed the poor suddenly materialize to send technological development into the stratosphere.

The US is many MANY times richer and more capable in 2020 than in 1940. If it's capable of doing most of the things the US managed back in WWII while still allowing its citizens to focus on such important things as hating each other on Facebook and purchasing new iPhones 😎, imagine what it could do if some outer force REALLY stirred the ant-hive, and magically made most Americans agree it was worth risking your life to defend the free world?

On topic ;) I took the second booster yesterday (shot number 4 for those counting). The clinic said it was an updated formula (from Pfizer), but noone seemed to know which updated formula (I think there are two?)

Zardnaar

Legend
Well the context was things government could do back then they can't now.
The "national will" or whatever you want to call it isn't there. People would take jail time vs conscription for example. Well they would be in the streets first.

Less control over media as well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On topic ;) I took the second booster yesterday (shot number 4 for those counting). The clinic said it was an updated formula (from Pfizer), but noone seemed to know which updated formula (I think there are two?)

Authorized for use, Pfizer has its original covid-19 vaccine, and one bivalent approved for use as a booster. I would expect them to have other versions in the works, but none have authorization for use.

Moderna also has it's original vaccine, and a bivalent booster authorized.

There is also a Novavax and Janssen vaccine out there, using different technologies.

Zardnaar

Legend
I can't get a 4th shot until January minimum and idk if I qualify.

1sy boost was mid to late January and I got Covid early July so that adds 6 months to the time required.

Remove ads