• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Archetypes that are missing from the core books?

Odhanan

Adventurer
The one common (everything's relative) archetype I can't really recreate without a fair bit of stretching with the core book is an Adventuring Merchant class. I can use the rogue and be pretty close to what I want (or the Beguiler that isn't core), but that's what I feel is missing from the straight core experience.

Vlad Le Démon

First Post
Odhanan said:
The one common (everything's relative) archetype I can't really recreate without a fair bit of stretching with the core book is an Adventuring Merchant class. I can use the rogue and be pretty close to what I want (or the Beguiler that isn't core), but that's what I feel is missing from the straight core experience.

Looting the treasures from monsters and selling it in town isn't trading ? ;)

Odhanan

Adventurer
wayne62682 said:
For what it's worth, I cast my vote towards generic classes that you can customize. I may be the only person in the world who loved the old Skills & Powers system for that very reason. Hell, even in my groups now we're allowed to swap things out if we want... I have a Ranger (Well, he's a Hexblade/Ranger) who took Sneak Attack as my "combat style" since neither archery nor TWF fit the concept.
I too liked Skills and Powers a great deal.

Now, for what it's worth, you can look at Monte Cook's campaign(s), with players like Chris Perkins, Bruce Cordell, Sean Reynolds and so on, and there's a fair deal of tweaking of character classes going on there (Cleric who can rebuke humans, loads of homebrew feats and so on). I think that's implied by the way the core rules are built, and by the way the DMG is presented. It's fair to adapt classes to character concepts, take sneak attack for a ranger combat style and such things. I for one welcome that kind of thing from the players at our game table.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Vlad Le Démon said:
Looting the treasures from monsters and selling it in town isn't trading ? ;)
Well you know what I mean, man. :) I was thinking of a character like Smiorgan in the Elric Saga, for instance.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The Warlock, from Complete Arcane, covers an archetype found all the time on TV shows, in movies, and in comic books. I think it would be a good addition to the core classes.

Beyond that, I think most fantasy archetypes are covered by the core classes with a careful selection of feats and skills. The spellcasting swordsman archetype can be achieved by multiclassing, which some object to because they wish to have a class that begins as both a swordsman and a spellcaster. I think this shades too far towards what someone mentioned earlier in the thread - a class that can do everything well.

Mighty Veil

First Post
My own list. Most have been said by others. Others I would have in a list have been covered by PHB II.

1. Assassin
2. Monk returned to being the traveler class from the far-east
3. Another traveller class, Arabic in nature, part scholar, part diplomat.
4. Noble/Merchant (might work better as a 5 level advanced class)
5. Alchemist
6. Pit-fighter (pugilist)
7. Bard turned into a traveller class from the uncivilized lands of the druids, or, of elven origin (like duskblade is)
8. Weapon master (euro feel martial artist class like monk, but the kung-fu is replaced with weapon skills)

Fenes

First Post
Replace the fluff text from monk with european fluff text, and you have your pugilist. Ditto for weapon master - we actually have that prestige class in our campaign, adapted to western background.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads