• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D at Gen Con

Malloc

First Post
I've never played in an organized D&D event (RPGA), but am interested in potentially doing so at Gen Con this year. Is there anything special I need to do or should know about if I were to try and play in something like the LFR events?

I'm just a noob looking for some advice from those more sage than I.

Herschel

Adventurer
Show up 15 minutes before start time for mustering (finding a group) and if you're alone, it's helpful to bring a leader or defender. You'll get asked to join in a hurry. Don't be one of the stereotypical solo guys with a striker if you're nervous about waiting to get added.

It's a little different this year as the modules are now run at set levels in a tier instead of the former H1/H2/H3/P1/P2/P3 up or down set up. Just be there in plenty of time to muster and you shouldn't have an issue or get in a really weird group.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Let me see if I can pull some knowledgeable people in here who are active in the organization of LFR.

Calling [MENTION=11365]Alphastream[/MENTION], [MENTION=59244]WolfStar76[/MENTION]

WolfStar76

Explorer
I've never played in an organized D&D event (RPGA), but am interested in potentially doing so at Gen Con this year. Is there anything special I need to do or should know about if I were to try and play in something like the LFR events?

I'm just a noob looking for some advice from those more sage than I.

There isn't anything terribly fancy you need to do, aside from make yourself knowledgeable about the LFR Rules, and have a character or three ready to play.

Neverfate has done right in pointing you to the LFR Community site, and I'd also point you to the downloads website for LFR at Living Forgotten Realms. Where you can grab the most recent version of our Campaign Guide which will give you all the nitty gritty of what is or isn't allowed in the campaign - as well as the handful of quirks and concessions we have to make for being a gigantic shared campaign.

Should you have questions after reading through that (and you probably will, it can be a lot to digest) I'd point you right back to the LFR Community to ask them from others and get clarifications. :)

You can also poke me on here, Twitter, or the WotC Community and I'll try to answer questions as well.

Last edited:

Alphastream

Adventurer
Wolfstar covered it really well. You will have a great time if you read up on the campaign rules and make your character according to those rules.

When you look at the Gen Con event catalog, look for adventures that have "A Living Forgotten Realms adv. for levels 1-10." in the description. It can be helpful, though not required, to play them in numerical order. LFR is increasingly bringing in story and the adventures may be more fun in that sequence.

As was said above, yeah, there are a lot of strikers. That said, you should ultimately play what you think will be fun. Come prepared for a team game and join us on the LFR forums to discuss PCs, role-playing, the campaign, etc.

When you are in the RPGA room, look for the free-standing banners that tell you where to find mustering areas. It might says something like "ELTU3-5: Dwarven Cleric" and then you look around the room for the Dwarven cleric. If in doubt, there is an elevated headquarters area where you can ask questions and the people in RPGA red and blue shirts will help. Arriving 15 min before the start of the slot is recommended so you can find a good table with people that have PCs of your same level. You can usually ask around for other relatively new players and find a like-minded group.

Lastly, we are lucky that there are so many RPGA options. The large number of tickets do mean that you can almost always sign up for your other Gen Con needs first and then for the RPGA offerings. I do still recommend trying to sign up this Sunday, but you can focus on non-RPGA first since those can have an extremely short number of tickets.

Welcome to LFR!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads