• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond and pencil-and-paper games

Oofta

Legend
Good to know. Yeah, I just fired up the website on my phone and tried to browse the basic rules and it is not bad. Better than trying to read the Basic Rules PDF on my phone, which is what I usually do when needing to quickly look something up when I don't have my books on hand. If only it had offline functionality so that I could use it on the subway!

As long as you don't try to use it in a steam tunnel and set off a national panic about the evil game. :D

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I use a phone, and it works well. The mobile app isn't out yet (and to start with it'll be an e-reader). But the mobile website is very user friendly. As far as I can see, the app will basically offer offline functionality and probably other perks. But, as a rules reference, the mobile website on a phone works just fine (so long as you have internet).

I haven't actively during a game tried to use the mobile version of the character sheet (I usually DM). But I've played around with it and would be comfortable using it as my character sheet in place of the paper one.

I will second all that. The interface is easy to understand and well organized, whether you're using the desktop or mobile version of the site. I'm a very visually-oriented person, and I like the way it looks and flows.

I have two players who regularly use their character sheets on their phones at the table, and it works jim-dandy.

One of my players bought access to several of the digital books, and we realized that if I get the DM account then he can share those with me. That's pretty sweet - it kind of simulates the way physical books get used and shared.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I use it as a DM. As mentioned above, it is great for creating pre-gens. I run an AL style game where drop ins are always a possibility, so I need to keep some pregen’s available.

I use it for prep: I’m running TOA in an in person game. My DM in a play by post turned on content sharing, and they have TOA in DDB, so I’ve benefited enormously from that. (I have access to TOA in print, too). I’ve printed off maps, NPC stats, etc.

At the table, I have it up on my iPad (in safari), usually in several tabs, so I can search monsters, spells, etc. If I know a particular monster or encounter is forthcoming, I pull that creature up in a tab.

I also use it to store some of my characters, including the one I use as a DMPC if I only have 2 players on a given night.

Right now I don’t have a subscription and have only purchased the PHB plus a race and subclass from other resources. I have access to the DMG, MM, Volos, XGTE, and TOA thanks to content sharing. Which has been wonderful.

I’m thinking about using Christmas money to purchase a hero tier subscription as I’m finding the 6 character limit rather stifling.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads