• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Beyond Announces Combat Tracker

"We're happy to announce the Alpha release of the Combat Tracker tool to subscribers of D&D Beyond! Try it out in your D&D games and your feedback will be used to make this the best it can be!" D&D Beyond has just announced the alpha development version of a combat tracker. You can track monsters, initiative, and access quick reference information. This functionality is similar to that...

"We're happy to announce the Alpha release of the Combat Tracker tool to subscribers of D&D Beyond! Try it out in your D&D games and your feedback will be used to make this the best it can be!"

D&D Beyond has just announced the alpha development version of a combat tracker. You can track monsters, initiative, and access quick reference information. This functionality is similar to that offered by Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds.

alpha-combat-tracker-cl.PNG

You can read more about the combat tracker here. The Alpha version is available to DDB subscribers.

"We have been using the Combat Tracker in our home games for a few weeks, and although it is certainly not in a finished state yet, we experienced enough value that we have decided to go ahead and release it now - even in its unfinished state - to both 1) let subscribers gain some of that value and 2) get feedback as early as possible.

Please keep in mind that this is not a finished product, and we invite subscribers to help us make it the best it can be!

Who can use the Combat Tracker?

All D&D Beyond Subscribers. The Combat Tracker is in full active development right now. We will be allowing early access to NEW Combat Tracker features to our Subscribers first, to prove out concepts and new functionality. We took the same approach with the Alpha version of the Encounter Builder with much success. This delivery method allows us to digest feedback in bite sized chunks and perform testing to figure out the best user experience possible.

What is a Development Alpha?

The Development Alpha of the Combat Tracker allows us to test features and user experience.
  • Functional but expecting a lot of bugs
    • Should be no core functionality bugs
  • Core functionality could change with feedback
  • Functionality could appear or disappear at any time
We will be working on validating bug reports and cleaning up the Combat Tracker. Once these tasks have been completed we will release to Beta, essentially meaning the Combat Tracker tool is complete."

Sacrosanct

Legend
Many games nowadays are available in alpha builds for early access users so it isn't surprising the DnDBeyond has released this to subscribers only for testing. People are able to provide feedback and it likely gives the development team (which I feel for DnDBeyond would be relatively small) some good feedback. I don't really care what the definitions for alpha or beta builds were, since these definitions have clearly changed in the last few years and a small break in the system really isn't anything to get hung up on.

No, the definitions haven’t changed. Not a bit. Because you’ve got someone whose slinging around terms in ways they aren’t defined doesn’t mean they’ve changed. It means they aren’t familiar with professional testing methodologies. There are reasons why the definitions are what they are, and why methodologies and processes are standardized. Because when you don’t follow them, you end up with things like this. New code breaking existing code over an issue that never should have seen public light, causing an immediate fire drill from the developers to shut down the system and scramble to fix the issue. And by continuing to not follow the processes, you’re just asking for it to happen again.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No, the definitions haven’t changed. Not a bit. Because you’ve got someone whose slinging around terms in ways they aren’t defined doesn’t mean they’ve changed. It means they aren’t familiar with professional testing methodologies. There are reasons why the definitions are what they are, and why methodologies and processes are standardized. Because when you don’t follow them, you end up with things like this. New code breaking existing code over an issue that never should have seen public light, causing an immediate fire drill from the developers to shut down the system and scramble to fix the issue. And by continuing to not follow the processes, you’re just asking for it to happen again.
And yet, considering how those definitions are being used, they have clearly changed.

Sacrosanct

Legend
And yet, considering how those definitions are being used, they have clearly changed.

That’s not how language works, sorry. Definitions don’t change just because a few people use them incorrectly. This isn’t an evolution of natural language. It’s just people talking about things they don’t know about. That’s it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
That’s not how language works, sorry. Definitions don’t change just because a few people use them incorrectly. This isn’t an evolution of natural language. It’s just people talking about things they don’t know about. That’s it.
A few? More than a few. Software developers the world over are releasing alpha builds to early access users. It's more than a few. How you define it and how all of these software developers define just isn't the same any more. Your definition is now outdated, at least for the gaming industry.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That isn't the point.

With respect, from my perspective, it is. In terms of how you respond when errors do occur... it is entirely the point. There are constructive, and non-constructive, responses to a failure.

Whether alpha or beta, it shouldn't have been released to begin with. If they didn't know that it broke existing functionality, they didn't test it enough before releasing it.

It may not be about "enough". It may very well be about what kind of defects they can detect.

For example, as at least one other person has noted - there are some issues that only arise at scale. And having a testing environment that is of the same scale as production is sometimes not financially feasible, and you do with something that seems good enough... until it isn't. Hindsight is 20/20, and all that.

True, but it begs the question of their ability to pay attention to detail.

It is really, really easy to jump to conclusions when all you see is the end issue, and not a whole lot of what was actually going on.

I think the Golden Rule should apply here - how much would any of you like complete outsiders who have never been within your organization, and are not familiar with your engineering in detail, to be talking trash about your work after you'd had a problem?

Extend the same courtesy you'd want extended to you.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
uh as someone with a educational background in linguistics, I object to both calling this "incorrect" and that this somehow isn't a way for language to evolve.

edit: I feel like "offsides" is a good example of this. it sorta describes a kind of situation, but means some very different depending on what sport you're playing. it'd be weird if a soccer football player threw a fit because offsides meant something different in hockey.

Sacrosanct

Legend
uh as someone with a educational background in linguistics, I object to both calling this "incorrect" and that this somehow isn't a way for language to evolve.

edit: I feel like "offsides" is a good example of this. it sorta describes a kind of situation, but means some very different depending on what sport you're playing. it'd be weird if a soccer football player threw a fit because offsides meant something different in hockey.

You can object to it all you want. But if your argument is that "if some people start using a word by it's wrong definition, then the definition changes. Even if the industry professional in that field continue to use it the correct way." Then you're going to have to provide a solid argument with examples of that. Language evolution happens over a long period of time, and it's usually the majority adopting a new word or term for that to happen.

For example, I could provide you a laundry list of words that people keep using incorrectly, but that would bring in the politics discussion, which is verboten. I'm sure you could probably guess many of them. Does that mean all those words suddenly change their definitions because some people are using them incorrectly? No, it doesn't.

It's also false to say the gaming industry uses those words differently now. It doesn't. Some in the gaming industry do. But not all. Usually smaller companies or when the code is open source. When companies like Ubisoft, Activision, and EA do Betas, it's for a short defined window (just like how it's defined). It doesn't change the definitions of the words, it only proves that those small companies pushing non-open source code to public and calling it alpha have little or no experience actually working in quality assurance.

Additionally, if your argument is true, then one would think that somewhere there would be a definition of the alpha/beta testing cycle that fits your description rather than what it actually is. But no matter where you look, they are defined as how I presented them. The only thing that comes close is a perpetual beta or open source alpha, but neither apply to D&D beyond. Perpetual beta is something much more rare and limited in use, and it certainly isn't called just "beta" by the companies that use it, nor does it change the definition of alpha testing to mean beta testing instead.

So if those terms did change in definition, I anxiously await you to provide those definitions, as well as examples of how words have changed meanings from just a few people using them incorrectly while those terms are still in current use among the industry. I have to admit, it strikes me as odd that someone with an educational background in linguistics (that's pretty vague anyway. I could also technically say that since I took Korean in college...), would argue that definitions of words change as long as someone starts using it in the wrong way. Better tell Merriam-Webster.

Otherwise, I don't think it's a great stretch for people to accept that the actual definitions of alpha and beta testing are as follows, and what's happening is not that these random companies are changing the definitions of words, but that they aren't familiar with actual quality assurance testing methodology (most likely because they are programmers and not quality assurance experts).

Oofta

Legend
You can object to it all you want. But if your argument is that "if some people start using a word by it's wrong definition, then the definition changes. Even if the industry professional in that field continue to use it the correct way." Then you're going to have to provide a solid argument with examples of that. Language evolution happens over a long period of time, and it's usually the majority adopting a new word or term for that to happen.

For example, I could provide you a laundry list of words that people keep using incorrectly, but that would bring in the politics discussion, which is verboten. I'm sure you could probably guess many of them. Does that mean all those words suddenly change their definitions because some people are using them incorrectly? No, it doesn't.

It's also false to say the gaming industry uses those words differently now. It doesn't. Some in the gaming industry do. But not all. Usually smaller companies or when the code is open source. When companies like Ubisoft, Activision, and EA do Betas, it's for a short defined window (just like how it's defined). It doesn't change the definitions of the words, it only proves that those small companies pushing non-open source code to public and calling it alpha have little or no experience actually working in quality assurance.

Additionally, if your argument is true, then one would think that somewhere there would be a definition of the alpha/beta testing cycle that fits your description rather than what it actually is. But no matter where you look, they are defined as how I presented them. The only thing that comes close is a perpetual beta or open source alpha, but neither apply to D&D beyond. Perpetual beta is something much more rare and limited in use, and it certainly isn't called just "beta" by the companies that use it, nor does it change the definition of alpha testing to mean beta testing instead.

So if those terms did change in definition, I anxiously await you to provide those definitions, as well as examples of how words have changed meanings from just a few people using them incorrectly while those terms are still in current use among the industry. I have to admit, it strikes me as odd that someone with an educational background in linguistics (that's pretty vague anyway. I could also technically say that since I took Korean in college...), would argue that definitions of words change as long as someone starts using it in the wrong way. Better tell Merriam-Webster.

Otherwise, I don't think it's a great stretch for people to accept that the actual definitions of alpha and beta testing are as follows, and what's happening is not that these random companies are changing the definitions of words, but that they aren't familiar with actual quality assurance testing methodology (most likely because they are programmers and not quality assurance experts).

Thanks for letting us know that only you are the holder of the truth and the one true way.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Thanks for letting us know that only you are the holder of the truth and the one true way.

Not me. But all of those links I provided. They are the experts. But you seem hellbent on misrepresenting my argument anyway, so why stop now?

*Edit, well, I do consider myself a bit of a subject matter expert on the topic since that's what I've been doing for the past 20 years, but the point is that I'm not saying this is the one true way. I'm providing links to many other experts who all agree that it's industry standard. How can you remotely argue that I'm acting like I control the "truth and one true way" when all I'm doing is showing you via citation how the industry works, and what the definitions are? Do you think I have sway over all of those other sites or something? Do I have the power to change the dictionary? What I'm doing is literally the opposite of saying my view is the only one.

You're better than this Oofta.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads